Tipsters hint at imminent iPod mini refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hinting that Apple may be preparing to introduce its second generation iPod mini player as early as next week, an anonymous tipster notes that the Apple Store Nagoya Sakae in Japan is giving away an iPod mini a day to visitors who are selected from a drawing. Interestingly, the contest which began on January 22nd, will end this Sunday, February 20th. Sources have previously indicated that the mini revision, which is said to sport a 25% size increase to 5GB, would debut sometime this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    i really think apple needs to get a 10GB mini out there to stay ahead of the competition, but then again, apple can put out anything and sell it right now.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I don't mind the 1GB improvement in capacity. That's just fine. What I'd like to see is HE-AAC support and longer battery life.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    I think its kind of stretching to say that a new mini is on its way because some promotion in january ends this weekend. I mean, a promotion has to end at some time, doesn't it. Usually before a new product comes out, they'd have promotions to sell stuff cheaper, or put together a promo 'Buy a new G5 and 30" display, get iPod mini for 10% off' kind of thing.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Exactly. HE-AAC support would be the same as doubling it to 10 gigs for all practical purposes, concerning music. Although 5 gigs is kind of lame. 10 would be okay...I would think they'd make it 15, but hey they have to milk it so I'm expecting 5 or 10. If it has a mic, I'll buy it. If it doesn't...I keep waiting...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Wow. I was just about to post about this.

My friend works at Apple as a customer service rep for their online store. Here's what he just posted in his blog:

Quote:

here's the thing... something big is about to happen at apple, and they won't tell us what it is, but this big thing is happening on wednesday, my day off, and everyone in the entire call center is being put on mandatory overtime from wednesday to friday, which is when i want to leave. it's probably a new product release, probably the new operating system tiger, anyway, i've been told by the lady in charge of allowing for time off that i not only cannot have the friday off, but my normal day off of wednesday is being switched to tuesday for this week.

He thinks it's Tiger, but my assumption was new hardware, something along the lines of an iPod mini revision. From everything I've read, Tiger isn't near ready but the iPod mini has supposedly been shipping with 5GB drives for a while now.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Hinting that Apple may be preparing to introduce its second generation iPod mini player as early as next week, an anonymous tipster notes that the Apple Store Nagoya Sakae in Japan is giving away an iPod mini a day to visitors who are selected from a drawing. Interestingly, the contest which began on January 22nd, will end this Sunday, February 20th. Sources have previously indicated that the mini revision, which is said to sport a 25% size increase to 5GB, would debut sometime this month.

What's this I see? AppleInsider themselves putting an iPod article in the Future Products category?! Tsk tsk.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    well i don't think your friend should be too worried about days off, because as soon as apple reads that post i'm sure he'll have everyday off
  • Reply 8 of 13
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    This iPod mini update has been "imminent" for three months now.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Wow. I was just about to post about this.

My friend works at Apple as a customer service rep for their online store. Here's what he just posted in his blog:

He thinks it's Tiger, but my assumption was new hardware, something along the lines of an iPod mini revision. From everything I've read, Tiger isn't near ready but the iPod mini has supposedly been shipping with 5GB drives for a while now.

Why would they need to keep so many people on board, when, if its a new ipod or Mac, they won't have any in stock to ship to anyone for another 3 months...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Exactly. HE-AAC support would be the same as doubling it to 10 gigs for all practical purposes, concerning music. Although 5 gigs is kind of lame. 10 would be okay...I would think they'd make it 15, but hey they have to milk it so I'm expecting 5 or 10. If it has a mic, I'll buy it. If it doesn't...I keep waiting...

15? Hell, if they make it that big, they might as well dump the entire iPod line. Even 10 is stretching it somewhat (its a mini, what do you people want, one with an xRaid in it?)
  • Reply 11 of 13
    The largest capacity I can see the iPod mini getting at this point is 6 GB; anything more would be reserved for later in the year, which is when it was said 8 or 10 GB Hitachi drives would be showing up.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Why would they need to keep so many people on board, when, if its a new ipod or Mac, they won't have any in stock to ship to anyone for another 3 months...

Because they'll still have a huge influx of orders that week.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12houripod

well i don't think your friend should be too worried about days off, because as soon as apple reads that post i'm sure he'll have everyday off

L M A O