Small, Simple FireWire Audio Interface

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm looking for a small and simple FireWire interface to replace my Griffin iMic, 2/2 channels would be enough. What is most important is reliability, compatibility and relatively low latency (all of which the iMic lacks).

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    I think apple was supposed to come out with something like this. Maybe wait till their next show.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I was also looking for something like this. Back under OS 9, I used my Canon DV camera, but it doesn't work under OS X (for audio input. As a DV camera, it works fine). At Macworld, Griffin announced their Firewave, which is primarily a 5.1 stereo box, but I think might have an audio input. It's impossible to tell, of course because Grifin has absolutely not technical info for it on their website, and it's not actually available yet.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    What is wrong with the iMic? I've used it for years on a couple different computers with several programs under both OS9 and OS X without any problems. I can't comment on latency as I usually record off the radio for later listening.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The iMic makes sudden clicking noises during recording or monitoring, it also occasionally suddenly switches to about 1000 ms latency for no apparent reason and has some sort of amazing ability to amplify noise from my analogue devices a lot more than it amplifies the signal.

I'm currently looking at the Terratec Phase 24 as a replacement.

Andrew
  • Reply 6 of 15
    how awesome would it be if someone came out with a guitar that had a firewire port on the end next to the pickup? plug it straight into the computer!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I am really dissapointed in the iMic. I paid $70 for it and it has at least a second of latency on my iBook G4/Garageband, which is unacceptable when I'm playing guitar. Huge mistake.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I was thinking about buying a new iBook in the summer with iLife 05 so I get GarageBand, and adding an iMic for guitar recording. Would I be better with a 12in PowerBook with a built-in line in then? What do you think the chances are of Apple adding a line-in to the iBook - seems annoying that they advertise GarageBand so much when there is no audio-in on half of the Apple range!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I was thinking about buying a new iBook in the summer with iLife 05 so I get GarageBand, and adding an iMic for guitar recording. Would I be better with a 12in PowerBook with a built-in line in then? What do you think the chances are of Apple adding a line-in to the iBook - seems annoying that they advertise GarageBand so much when there is no audio-in on half of the Apple range!

i've been looking at m-audio's preUSB box. it seems much more capable than the iMic, and while the iMic is much cheaper, it doesnt sound like its worth the money anyways...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tascam us-122 works great for me...... its usb though
  • Reply 11 of 15
    The M-Audio Audiophile Firewire is probably the cheapest and simplest FW audio interface. I have a FW410 and it rocks hard. Really good drivers and excellent analogue and digital sound quality.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I really would not recommend it. It works, and is cheap if you're not into any serious, but there is a second of latency between when you hit a string and when it plays. It records it properly though, so it still works, just gets confusing if you have the "monitor" option set to on. If you have any questions feel free to ask squeege @ gmail.com.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

The M-Audio Audiophile Firewire is probably the cheapest and simplest FW audio interface.

In theory this would have been perfect. But I primarily use Native Intruments' Reaktor and apparently it doesn't work well with M-Audio interfaces.
    Quote:

Tascam us-122 works great for me...... its usb though

The main thing that puts me off USB is the fact that I have no free ports on my iBook, so I would have to take a hub gigging, and I already have too much stuff to connect up on stage in the small amount of time bands usually get given.
    Quote:

I am really dissapointed in the iMic?it has at least a second of latency?

A second? I get 100 ms at the most, but I don't use GarageBand so I don't know how it operates. Try installing Jack Audio Tools and see if it will let you lower your latency.

Andrew
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I'll try out the software, but I'm not exaggerating, 1 second of laterncy in garageband. It sounds like I have an echo/delay pedal hooked up.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Yeah you are right about bad vibe between NI and M-audio stuff. I use Kontakt sometimes and it is crap with the FW410, poor performance on the Mac and always crashing on Windows. However this is Natives fault, their hardware support is rubbish.

There will be other options coming along I'm sure, what came out at NAMM, anything good?