Apple reveals flashy Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger retail packaging

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In Wednesday's edition of an Apple news letter sent to customers, the company for the first time shows the retail packaging in which Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is expected to ship.

The retail box is pitch black with a shiny platinum "X" that extends the full length of the packaging, complete with shadow effects to provide the illusion that the "X" is extending off the surface of the box. The news letter reiterates that Tiger is "scheduled to arrive during the first half of 2005."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Now that's what I call an X-box.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

• Reply 3 of 29
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

For those who don't know where to look for this, check http://www.appleinsider.com/backpage/. We're still working to link this new page properly with our forums and mainpage.

Kasper
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

In Wednesday's edition of an Apple news letter sent to customers, the company for the first time shows the retail packaging in which Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is expected to ship.

*hint* if you're just repeating the content from the backpage story, linking images helps

The retail box is pitch black with a shiny platinum "X" that extends the full length of the packaging, complete with shadow effects to provide the illusion that the "X" is extending off the surface of the box. The news letter reiterates that Tiger is "scheduled to arrive during the first half of 2005."

Because after Jaguar (furry spots like a jaguar), and Panther (black fur like a panther),

and the preview marketing materials

everybody expects a tiger to look... black and platinum ?

like OS X 10.3 Server ? superzoomed into only the black fur ? \

• Reply 5 of 29
    Also scheduled for release at the same time, but less publicized...

the monochrome version of Mac OS X Tiger, a.k.a. Zebra.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Because after Jaguar (furry spots like a jaguar), and Panther (black fur like a panther),

and the preview marketing materials

everybody expects a tiger to look... black and platinum ?

like OS X 10.3 Server ? superzoomed into only the black fur ? \

Its automated. When we post to Mainpage or Backpage, the script creates a forum thread with the text but does not yet know how to parse out images. The backpage is new and it will take us a week or so to get things working properly.

Best,

Kasper

BTW: What do you guys think of the Back Page design?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like the rat... not just any rat, a Fancy Rat!

I would think Apple would put a tiger print on the sides of that box, maybe gradating up to black at the top. A way to play off the name while leaving the simple X on the face. But I'm not in charge
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I would think Apple would put a tiger print on the sides of that box, maybe gradating up to black at the top.

Naahhh, this whole "Big Cat" theme is fun and everything, but it's time to take the kid gloves off and market this thing like the kick ass OS it is.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Naahhh, this whole "Big Cat" theme is fun and everything, but it's time to take the kid gloves off and market this thing like the kick ass OS it is.

You said it mate!

And I really like the whole new format idea. It will be good to see this develop and be bugged out.

Mendosi
  • Reply 10 of 29
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Well I hope you're wrong and the "big cat" reference isn't a negative... considering the big word "Tiger" on the box
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I like it. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Yeah, I noticed the new look and me likey. Should we expect a revised main page and forums anytime soon?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Yeah, I noticed the new look and me likey. Should we expect a revised main page and forums anytime soon?

As soon as we can figure out how to squish the main page into a similar format. We'd like all the pages to conform in size and layout. Right now the Back Page uses a fixed, slim 750 pixel page width. It will be a challenge to make the main and article pages fit a similar format. Obviously, if we did this to the forums, it may be counter productive for readers with bigger displays. The forums will gain the look at some point, but will likely remain fluid pages.

Kasper
  • Reply 14 of 29
    It is doubtful that Apple will actually use this package for the final product.

Apple's boxed OS software has always been labeled with its version number. Putting "Tiger" on the side instead of 10.4 would be confusing.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I can't believe nobody "gets" the new design. It's not highlighted to give the X a shadow effect. That big soft white circle on the X is a SPOTLIGHT. Get it? I think it's brilliant.

Chris
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by chabig

I can't believe nobody "gets" the new design. It's not highlighted to give the X a shadow effect. That big soft white circle on the X is a SPOTLIGHT. Get it? I think it's brilliant.

Chris

Holy fuck. You are one clever mother fucker.

Quote:

Putting "Tiger" on the side instead of 10.4 would be confusing.

I think 10.4 is written on the very bottom of the side - if you can't see it, you may want to get your eyes checked.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Also, the font used for the 'X' logo might have changed.

The new logo design is a stand-out (way cooler than v 10.2/10.3's and the ealier 10.4 logo)
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Well you asked, I don't like the new logo. Very cartoonish for an otherwise slick interface. Doesn't go with the "feel" around here, which I really like btw.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Oh, and doesn't this new box look exactly the X-Men 2 posters? Not that it is not cool, but the first thing I thought was X-Men.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Well you asked, I don't like the new logo. Very cartoonish for an otherwise slick interface. Doesn't go with the "feel" around here, which I really like btw.

I fail to see how a silver "X" is cartoonish. I think its simplicity and overall slickness represents the OS perfectly.