Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trailer online now!

rokrok
Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
i have to say, i saw nothing that made me wince or go "oh, this is so gonna suck." so i'm happy. marvin's a little different than i envisioned, but as long as he carries himself with the same sad-sack behavior, i'll be fine.

it's on amazon's home page. if you need me to link to THAT, turn in your mouse to the authorities. you just aren't fit to browse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I can't get over that they're letting a guy whose only directing history is a blur video. Am I missing something?

Martin Freeman is a good choice. I hope I can watch it and not think of Tim from The Office.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I can't wait to check it out. I hope the movie is even a tenth as good as the books.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Phreeow!

Most recent HHGTTG moment: enjoying a fantabulously delicious steak dinner with the gf for Valentine's Day, I was so tempted to angrily grab a waiter by the collar and scream "Why's this steak so bloody good?!"
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I'm stoked.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    It looks like it will Rock !..

However people must be aware that it will NOT be the same as the books, Douglas Adams said himself about the screenplay (which he was working on before he passed away) would be a development from the book(s) with new stuff added and some of the existing stuff removed.

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about this and In a way it is a good thing, just as the book was a development of the radio play it WAS different but had the same quality of ideas.

I have total faith in the movie and I am 100% sure that it will NOT be an I Robot/planetof the apes type "re-imagineering" of the story.

j.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's been so long since I read the book that I don't even remember all that stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

It looks like it will Rock !..

I have total faith in the movie and I am 100% sure that it will NOT be an I Robot/planetof the apes type "re-imagineering" of the story.

j.

off topic... i didn't mind the I,Robot re-imagining... what blew me away was 10 years or so after I read the book, instead of the classic Ralph Macquarrie cover, was a picture of Will Smith

BTW i was at the Australian I,Robot premiere after party

*pats self on back for successfully sneaking in*
  • Reply 8 of 18
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Ford Prefect is... black? Eh?

My first gut instinct is "political correctness" and its really ruining the whole idea oh HHGTTG.

Mos Def is brilliant per se, but... well... damn.. I just friggen hate it when such a book where you have your own idea of the whole world is a certain way, and then the movie just spins it 180 degrees and you're forced to forget all.

Dammit.

ah well.. c'est la vie
  • Reply 9 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

My first gut instinct is "political correctness" and its really ruining the whole idea oh HHGTTT

really? i actually don't have much of a problem with it. i mean, they never say what color ford is in the book, do they? you might be inclined to imagine a "pasty brit" on ford's frame, but there are plenty of black people in britain, too.

i dunno. heck, marvin isn't what i thought he should look like, but they cast alan rickman as his voice, so how can i complain?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

My first gut instinct is "political correctness" and its really ruining the whole idea oh HHGTTG.

Mos Def is brilliant per se, but... well... damn.. I just friggen hate it when such a book where you have your own idea of the whole world is a certain way, and then the movie just spins it 180 degrees and you're forced to forget all.

Dammit.

ah well.. c'est la vie

what difference does the color of his skin make? if it's not relevant to the story, then who give a shit as long as he can pull off the role?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    It doesn't make a difference. It just that he got an idea in his head from reading the book and now the actor being black doesn't fit at all.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Actually the book says a lot about Ford Prefects appearances. I think his skin colour is mentioned as "pale".
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Well there you have it. I don't remember much of that.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Actually the book says a lot about Ford Prefects appearances. I think his skin colour is mentioned as "pale".

maybe he was a pale black guy.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

On the other hand, Ford apparenty made a fairly convincing penguin...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I recall Ford having a slightly blue tinge to his skin.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I remember him as the hooker with a heart of gold. Or was that a different movie
  • Reply 18 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Finally saw it today.

Its was expected that 99.9% of all explanations that was in the book (and made it rereadable again and again) had to be left out.

It was positive that the story had a twist in the plot.

It was great that it managed to leave in some of DAs humour.

And it was frightening that Arthur Dents bathrobe is exactly, 100% the same as mine.