iBook 14? or Powerbook 15? for my needs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the deal: I have decided to buy a laptop. I will be using it for 6 months at home and then taking it with me while I live in Europe for a year. Other than taking it on the plane with me, it won't go anywhere else with it. I'll be treating it like a desktop, so it'll just sit at my desk here and wherever I stay in Europe. The only reasons I'm getting a laptop is because I wanted a computer in Europe with me and getting a desktop for only 6 months of use would be a waste.

Since this is the case, I have ruled out a 12" iBook or Powerbook because the screen is just too small. I also don't want to spend money on an external display and don't have enough money for a 17" PB.

So my main question is: Do you suggest the iBook 14? or Powerbook 15? for my needs (Office, iLife, Dreamweaver, internet, watching movies)? Here are some more specific questions:

1. How large is the speed difference between the iBook and PB's processor and hard drive?

2. I don't really have to worry about durability and battery life since the laptop will always stay on a desk. I will however need a good wireless internet signal. I have heard the iBook has a better signal? Is this true? Is the signal noticeably better?

3. Since the laptop will be sitting at a desk at all times, I probably won?t be using the battery at all. Is it possible to just take the battery out or shut it down so its value doesn?t get depleted? I don?t want to drain the battery?s life by keeping the laptop plugged into the wall, in-case I ever need the battery. What should I do about the battery in my situation?

4. I'm debating whether or not I need a Superdrive. I won't be making movies, so the only reason I would need a SD is for back-up purposes and would only do this a handful of times. Is that truly worth the extra $135?

5. An iBook with my needed specs (512 MB RAM, 80GB HD, combo or SD) costs between $1,311-1,511. A PB costs $1,799-1,934. Are the extra features in the PB worth the extra cost?

6. Finally, I want to have a set of good quality 2.1 speakers plugged into the laptop. Is it possible to plug high-powered speakers into the iBook? Which port would I need to be able to do that?

I really appreciate all the help. I am hoping to make an order by this week-end, so I would be really grateful for all your suggestions!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Here's the deal: I have decided to buy a laptop. I will be using it for 6 months at home and then taking it with me while I live in Europe for a year. Other than taking it on the plane with me, it won't go anywhere else with it. I'll be treating it like a desktop, so it'll just sit at my desk here and wherever I stay in Europe. The only reasons I'm getting a laptop is because I wanted a computer in Europe with me and getting a desktop for only 6 months of use would be a waste.

Since this is the case, I have ruled out a 12" iBook or Powerbook because the screen is just too small. I also don't want to spend money on an external display and don't have enough money for a 17" PB.

So my main question is: Do you suggest the iBook 14? or Powerbook 15? for my needs (Office, iLife, Dreamweaver, internet, watching movies)? Here are some more specific questions:

1. How large is the speed difference between the iBook and PB's processor and hard drive?

2. I don't really have to worry about durability and battery life since the laptop will always stay on a desk. I will however need a good wireless internet signal. I have heard the iBook has a better signal? Is this true? Is the signal noticeably better?

3. Since the laptop will be sitting at a desk at all times, I probably won?t be using the battery at all. Is it possible to just take the battery out or shut it down so its value doesn?t get depleted? I don?t want to drain the battery?s life by keeping the laptop plugged into the wall, in-case I ever need the battery. What should I do about the battery in my situation?

4. I'm debating whether or not I need a Superdrive. I won't be making movies, so the only reason I would need a SD is for back-up purposes and would only do this a handful of times. Is that truly worth the extra $135?

5. An iBook with my needed specs (512 MB RAM, 80GB HD, combo or SD) costs between $1,311-1,511. A PB costs $1,799-1,934. Are the extra features in the PB worth the extra cost?

6. Finally, I want to have a set of good quality 2.1 speakers plugged into the laptop. Is it possible to plug high-powered speakers into the iBook? Which port would I need to be able to do that?

I really appreciate all the help. I am hoping to make an order by this week-end, so I would be really grateful for all your suggestions!

I will help where I can

1. I can get into technical specs but I have never used them both for "real" life. The main difference would be the FSB speed (167 PB compared to 133 iBook) and the cache speed. How much the difference in clock speed would help? Don't really know, a modest amount I'd guess. Now the HD is a HUGE deal and a very large speed increase--especially in "everyday mundane" tasks. Take a look here: http://barefeats.com/hard34.html

3. You can leave the battery out if you wish. It is still a good idea to cycle the battery (deplete it and then recharge it) every month or so.

4. With your needs--I would say no.

5. They are nice to have but its ultimately your money. Here is a list of what you get with a PB, that you don't/CAN'T with an iBook.

1. Faster hard drives (5400 compared to 4200 RPM)

2. Faster memory architecture (333 compared to 266Mhz DDR)

3. Faster processor (1.5 compared to 1.2 Ghz G4)

b Faster front side bus (167 compared to 133Mhz)

4. Faster level 2 cache (1.5 or 1.67 compared to 1.33 Ghz)

5. At least twice the amount of dedicated video memory (64 compared

to 32MB)

6. Programmable GPU (9700 compared to 9200)=better Tiger support

7. Faster Bluetooth (2.0 compared to 1.1)

8. Sudden motion sensor capabilites standard--iBook can't

be so equipped

9. Scroll mate capabilities--iBook can't have it

10. Faster DVD burner capabilities.

6. Any speaker set with a 1/8" miniplug will work just fine--in your headphone jack.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

I will help where I can

3. You can leave the battery out if you wish. It is still a good idea to cycle the battery (deplete it and then recharge it) every month or so.

Great info! Thanks for your reply.

One question about the battery: I have heard more than once that to keep the battery in good condition, I should do as you said. Doesn't depleting batteries and then recharging them weaken the batteries? I have heard that it's much better to recharge the iPod battery when it's almost depleted and that completely depleting the iPod battery causes it to die quicker. I guess this isn't the case with the PB battery?

What will happen if I don't do this every month?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

...getting a desktop for only 6 months of use would be a waste.

So my main question is: Do you suggest the iBook 14? or Powerbook 15? for my needs (Office, iLife, Dreamweaver, internet, watching movies)?

- office, internet, graphics use: both iBooks have the same 1024x768 resolution so there isn't really any more screen space in the 14". PB runs at 1280x854, which is 40% more pixels, 40% more space for everything.

- watching movies: since the 15" PB is widescreen, it is equivalent to approximately 18" 4:3 flatscreen when watching movies - 30% bigger picture than 14" iBook.

Even if you only think about the screen and nothing else, the 15" PB is much better.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

One question about the battery: I have heard more than once that to keep the battery in good condition, I should do as you said. Doesn't depleting batteries and then recharging them weaken the batteries? I have heard that it's much better to recharge the iPod battery when it's almost depleted and that completely depleting the iPod battery causes it to die quicker. I guess this isn't the case with the PB battery?

You got some bad advice. Apple actually recommends using the notebook battery regularly, and fully discharging it once a month. Same for the iPod. My own anectodal experience seems to support that. The battery lasts better when you give it regular exercise, and an occasional enema.

The flip side of that is that Lithium batteries have a limited lifespan that's measured in charge cycles. A charge cycle is any discharge-recharge, no matter if it's from 90%->100% or 0%->100%. After a certain number of cycles (a number that varies widely) the battery starts to lose capacity. There's a steady trickle of current even when the laptop is plugged in, so to help save charge cycles, Apple batteries will only charge when they fall below 95%. But if you leave it plugged in 24/7, all those 5% charge cycles will add up, and reduce the life of your battery.

If you're really not going to use the battery at all, Apple suggests removing it at 50% capacity and storing it at RT. These things really aren't meant to be babied or stored, though - they're meant to be used. You really wouldn't take your laptop to a European cafe or on the road with you as you travel? I take it you've never owned a laptop before? Mobility gets addictive.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

You got some bad advice. Apple actually recommends using the notebook battery regularly, and fully discharging it once a month. Same for the iPod. My own anectodal experience seems to support that. The battery lasts better when you give it regular exercise, and an occasional enema.

The flip side of that is that Lithium batteries have a limited lifespan that's measured in charge cycles. A charge cycle is any discharge-recharge, no matter if it's from 90%->100% or 0%->100%. After a certain number of cycles (a number that varies widely) the battery starts to lose capacity. There's a steady trickle of current even when the laptop is plugged in, so to help save charge cycles, Apple batteries will only charge when they fall below 95%. But if you leave it plugged in 24/7, all those 5% charge cycles will add up, and reduce the life of your battery.

If you're really not going to use the battery at all, Apple suggests removing it at 50% capacity and storing it at RT. These things really aren't meant to be babied or stored, though - they're meant to be used. You really wouldn't take your laptop to a European cafe or on the road with you as you travel? I take it you've never owned a laptop before? Mobility gets addictive.

You are correct! I have never owned or used a laptop for a long period of time. I always thought that I wouldn't like them. I have a feeling that I will love the fact that I can take my PB anywhere.

A couple questions about the battery: So all I need to do to keep it in good shape is totally deplete and recharge the thing once a month? And I can just leave the laptop plugged in between those times?

And if I take the battery out, what goes in its place? Or is it just an empty space? Will the battery eventually die out if I take it out at 50% because of non-use?

Thank you!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

You are correct! I have never owned or used a laptop for a long period of time. I always thought that I wouldn't like them. I have a feeling that I will love the fact that I can take my PB anywhere.

A couple questions about the battery: So all I need to do to keep it in good shape is totally deplete and recharge the thing once a month? And I can just leave the laptop plugged in between those times?

And if I take the battery out, what goes in its place? Or is it just an empty space? Will the battery eventually die out if I take it out at 50% because of non-use?

Thank you!!!

Cycling the battery every 30 days or so will be sufficient to keep the battery in good condition. You can leave the laptop plugged in w/o the battery--no harm done.

Nothing goes in its place, it is just an empty spot. You may wish to clean the contacts on both the battery and the laptop with rubbing alcohol before conecting them again if they are seperated a long while.

The battery does have a shelf life and will deplete if not in the laptop. Roughly a percent a day with most Lithium Ion batteries.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BCompDude

Cycling the battery every 30 days or so will be sufficient to keep the battery in good condition. You can leave the laptop plugged in w/o the battery--no harm done.

Nothing goes in its place, it is just an empty spot. You may wish to clean the contacts on both the battery and the laptop with rubbing alcohol before conecting them again if they are seperated a long while.

The battery does have a shelf life and will deplete if not in the laptop. Roughly a percent a day with most Lithium Ion batteries.

Ok, then I will just keep it in, deplete it and recharge it every month. How long does it take to recharge it?