Apple Store alters iMac availability

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple store now reports a 7-10 day wait for Imacs.Mean anything?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    It's not too soon for a nice little bump. Nothing radical, just bigger HDs, maybe a (small) CPU or GPU bump. Something to keep the line fresh.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by cuneglasus

Small speedbump, why not... Maybe a temporary shortage. If the iMac G5 and the Mac Mini share some components, the success of the Mac Mini might influence iMac production.

But speedbump is more likely.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    they do not share any components.

mini=g4, different motherboard, different GPU, and different HD

hopefully a Rev. B on the way!

trout
  • Reply 4 of 61
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    If a speedbump were on the way, that'd mean Apple got some faster and/or lower power CPUs from IBM... which would be a VERY good thing. PowerMacs would get updated soon too. Maybe they could all get Nvidea 6200's as the base video card, with a 6600 as a BTO.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Tiger?

...nah! too soon

Let's see what tuesday brings
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

nope.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    you seem to be the only one that thinks that. why do you say "nope"

trout
  • Reply 8 of 61
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Several tipsters are reporting that, like the iPod mini, iMacs are suddenly reflecting wait times of 7-10 business days for direct orders from the Apple online store. iMacs had previously shown "same business day" ship estimates. While the iPod mini is expected to see an update as early as next week, there is no evidence yet to support an imminent revision to the iMac G5 product line. However, sources close to the company claim that the flow of G5 microprocessors from IBM has improved significantly over the past few months. Apple, at its discresion, could improve on the iMac's performance anytime, sources said. The iMac continues to be a hot seller in February, and such a move would aim to preserve the iMacs momentum, sources added. A 2GHz iMac has been stable for some time. Meanwhile, reports from inside the company hint that a significant announcement will be made on or around Wednesday of next week. No further details are available at this time. If you have any further information on these tips please let us know.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:

It's not too soon for a nice little bump. Nothing radical, just bigger HDs, maybe a (small) CPU or GPU bump. Something to keep the line fresh.

Better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card...!

• Reply 10 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card, better graphics card...!

I think that would be the best thing that could happen to the iMac G5, but what would it take to make such an adjustment? Is it soldered on. I have not looked at the internal diagram of one yet, but that seems like it's a probability.

As I recall hearing people were complaining that tIger wouldn't be that impressive with the current card. You would think an update would be a great idea right about now. That way half of the iMac G5 owners wouldn't be complaining as much when tiger is released. That is of course If the previously mentioned statements were correct.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by trout

you seem to be the only one that thinks that. why do you say "nope"

trout

before powermacs were updated last year in June, people were using estimated shipping times all the way back in january last year to say that pmac updates were 'imminent." Those people were wrong by 6 months. I think people are always too optimistic about product updates around here, which is fine, but I'm trying to be realistic and not read too much into a couple numbers that in the past have been proven inaccurate.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

i was waiting for all the GPU fanboys to come out of the woodworks

but i agree, incorporating latest affordable GPU tech in the iMac G5 will solidify it's position as an all-round kick ass productivity/ internet/ multimedia/ gaming thingy.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

before powermacs were updated last year in June, people were using estimated shipping times all the way back in january last year to say that pmac updates were 'imminent." Those people were wrong by 6 months. I think people are always too optimistic about product updates around here, which is fine, but I'm trying to be realistic and not read too much into a couple numbers that in the past have been proven inaccurate.

Ah, but you have to contrast that with the current situation. The iMacs were showing "same business day" shipping up until today, and we know that there's no shortage of G5 chips now. Why have the sudden delay otherwise?

Also, the PowerBooks experienced the same sudden jump last month.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Ah, but you have to contrast that with the current situation. The iMacs were showing "same business day" shipping up until today, and we know that there's no shortage of G5 chips now. Why have the sudden delay otherwise?

It now says 3-5 days.I wonder if the store experienced cancellations when the time to shipment changed? Still it makes me wonder just what could cause such a delay this late in the products life cycle.On the 31st it will be 6 months old which is long in the tooth by computer standards.Apple really doesnt have an excuse not to upgrade now.While a speedbump is great there are many other things that need changeing- base 512 of ram-8X dvd burner-at least some graphics options offered.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

It now says 3-5 days.I wonder if the store experienced cancellations when the time to shipment changed? Still it makes me wonder just what could cause such a delay this late in the products life cycle.On the 31st it will be 6 months old which is long in the tooth by computer standards.Apple really doesnt have an excuse not to upgrade now.While a speedbump is great there are many other things that need changeing- base 512 of ram-8X dvd burner-at least some graphics options offered.

i like always having a glance at http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ before thinking about this sort of stuff...

at best, iMac and eMac updates within a few months

possibly, wwdc - tiger related ??

at worst, after wwdc...

too much noise in the signal at this stage \
  • Reply 16 of 61
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

...On the 31st it will be 6 months old which is long in the tooth by computer standards...

Um, there is no February 31st. Just had to mention it.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think that would be the best thing that could happen to the iMac G5, but what would it take to make such an adjustment? Is it soldered on. I have not looked at the internal diagram of one yet, but that seems like it's a probability.

It is.

I'd imagine that the NV5600 Ultra would be a drop-in, or the next best thing.

Quote:

As I recall hearing people were complaining that tIger wouldn't be that impressive with the current card.

It fully accelerates Core Image and Core Video. What else is it supposed to do to run Tiger impressively?

It might not run Motion impressively, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Major updates tend not to follow a regular schedule, because they're major updates. Bumps and refreshes are more regular, although there are exceptions like the iMac G4...
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Um, there is no February 31st. Just had to mention it.

Is it February already? Where does it all go?
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

well people can believe whatever they want, i'm just suggesting that no one hold his(or her) breath.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

Amen, amen, amen, amen, amen...!