iPod price drop? (rumor)

mcqmcq
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Pulled off of YourDailyMac:

[quote]

Currently the iPod is a huge selling success but after Christmas the people that have friend's with iPods will be wanting to buy an iPod. Apple has taken this into consideration and is planning on having a price drop announcement at MWSF. The specs on the newly updated and lower priced iPods: $299 for current iPod, and $399 for a 10gb iPod.

<hr></blockquote>

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks of this, how reasonable it sounds... is it too soon for a price drop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This sounds like a reasonable upgrade path. Especially, I like how it doesn;t piss off current iPod users who spent 399 for the then top of the line model...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>This sounds like a reasonable upgrade path. Especially, I like how it doesn;t piss off current iPod users who spent 399 for the then top of the line model...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would piss me off.

I dont honestly expect any kind of upgrade or price drop before MacWorld Tokyo.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I would like the 10GB model. I have 9 gigs of MP3s.

Of course, it doesn';t advertise as nicely.

"Two thousands songs in your pocket..."

Hmmm.. Now " Ten Thousand songs in your pocket" jkust might work. It'll be a while before you can get 50 GB drives that small.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    It seems logical. It makes me wonder what they will do for future upgrades. They can't just keep making the hdd bigger. Well they can but it would start to get rediculous. Anythign much over 10-20gigs seems to be way more than enough.

Maybe in the furure they will just keep dropping the price.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    They should bundle it with any new hardware purchase and give a rebate at the sametime. If you buy it alone it's full price, but with a new computer it's half price.

Chris
  • Reply 6 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the rumor is incorrect.

yourdailymac is run by a bunch of kids. serious. everything is made up and not one story has a basis. they do it for fun. read some of their other "info" and you'll have a good laugh.

I think we could see a drop to 349 at MWSF.

Toshiba hasn't announced a 10GB version yet and I doubt they will soon. the 5GB just came out and doubling the capacity will likely take a while to do.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    uhhh, can we stop with this pissing off current owners non-sense. Technology depreciates fast. If you buy something today, you should be wholly prepared for it to be worth 25% less within 3 months time, especially when you buy something upon initial release. NO COMPANY, holds back product, or adjust prices in consideration of people who've already purchased. If they do these things it's only to get new customers. If you want the newest, you have to pay for it -- that's just the way of it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>NO COMPANY, holds back product, or adjust prices in consideration of people who've already purchased. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I tought Apple is holding back the finished G5 in order to not piss off the people who bought the top of the line G4 2 years ago. Well, one learns something new every day!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    it's probably too soo......i could see that happening in march at MWTY......the part about the price drop....like applenut said, they don't even make the 10 gig drive yet (?), but a price drop sounds good

it would piss me off a little if they did reduce the price cause i bought the original one, but i would help sales some
  • Reply 10 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>the rumor is incorrect.

Toshiba hasn't announced a 10GB version yet and I doubt they will soon. the 5GB just came out and doubling the capacity will likely take a while to do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I was thinking. Though... I could see (and would LOVE) a drop to 299 at MWSF or MWTK.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hmmmm, would it be feasible for an iPod( or similar device) to take movie files off your comptuer, and then play them on a T.V directly from the iPod to the T.v.?

if so then there you go, Apple releases a 30 gig or so tiny portable device that plays mp3s(advertise that as a side feature) and the main feature is it is super portable, super easy way to show off your iMovies, Of course It would be even better if apple had their own digital camera that was seemlessly intergrated with iMovie, just a thought.

Either that or Advertise it as a second hard-drive, that convienatly ALSO plays mp3s, NOT as an mp3 player, and then you can justify adding plus 20 gigs.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    If Apple advertised the iPod as a portable hard drive, then it would only appeal to those with not only more than one computer, but more than one Mac. MUCH smaller demographic.

I like the iPod-video idea.... but what I am waiting for is::

IPOD ACCESSORIES.... I mean the ipod should be a mini-digital hub! Accessories like the ability to interface with a firewire microphone, or even a mini-jack mic (if you could do that in software on the pod)... also, for the price of the ipod you could buy an 80g firewire drive.... so there should be a way to interface with one of those (like in the car or at the office). Realistically, with 100hours of music and 10 hours of battery, do you NEED more than 5 PORTABLE gigs?

my two cents,

C.pres
  • Reply 13 of 14
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    [quote]...do you NEED more than 5 PORTABLE gigs?<hr></blockquote>

Yes. Yes you do

Took me ages to decide what to put on my iPod, kept having to take stuff off, put something else on, 5gig was just not enough, had to be really choosy.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by RevEvs:

<strong>

Yes. Yes you do

Took me ages to decide what to put on my iPod, kept having to take stuff off, put something else on, 5gig was just not enough, had to be really choosy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Than you have WAY too much time....