Fan Noise new powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I finally decieded to make the switch to a mac and bought myself one of the new PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5Ghz.

However the fan runs ALL THE TIME, it does change its speed, sometimes oscillates between two speeds, even when idle. I have tried leaving the PB off for a few hours to let it cool to see if that helps but the fan is always running when i boot up.

Is this normal? I was led to believe PB where silent machines? does anyone else have this problem?

I have owned many laptops over the years and even PC ones turn their fans off now and then.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by kento

I finally decieded to make the switch to a mac and bought myself one of the new PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5Ghz.

However the fan runs ALL THE TIME, it does change its speed, sometimes oscillates between two speeds, even when idle. I have tried leaving the PB off for a few hours to let it cool to see if that helps but the fan is always running when i boot up.

Is this normal? I was led to believe PB where silent machines? does anyone else have this problem?

I have owned many laptops over the years and even PC ones turn their fans off now and then.

Thanks in advance.

i just bought a 15inch superdrive and the fans havent turned on at all even with extreme work. although this doesnt help, because it is a powerful yet extremely small machine its very likely that the fans stay on for much of the time. perhaps booting up with the apple hardware test disc might work...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kento

Thanks in advance.

What is is sitting on? It is not for your lap no matter what you think. Don't keep it on cushions or beds or blankets. Ideally keep it elevated on a Podium CoolPad.

If it is sitting flat on a surface, particularly a soft one, it will just heat up and the fans will stay on.

Also, did you or someone mess with the Energy Saver setting? People that increase Processor Performance to "Highest" instead of "Automatic", can't really companion about fan noise or heat.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Regardless of surface (even though this does make a difference) etc. the fan shouldn't be on all the time, especially after leaving it idle for a bit as you described. I've had a TiBook and I'm on an iBook now, the fans are hardly ever in use in either... if the problem continues I'd take it to an Apple store or something and ask them.

:-)