Apple to rename Rendezvous technology "Bonjour"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Exclusive -- Apple Computer in the coming months will change the name of its Rendezvous networking technology to "Bonjour," according to company documents shown to AppleInsider.

Last year, Tibco Software of Palo Alto, Calif., entered into a trademark dispute with Apple over its use of the Rendezvous name, alleging that the Apple technology, used in products such as Mac OS X and the iTunes Music Store, infringed on its exclusive rights to the Rendezvous name.

In July 2004, AppleInsider reported that the two companies agreed to end the dispute through a mutual out of court settlement. Sources close to the negotiations said that, as part of the deal, Apple agreed to phase out its use of the "Rendezvous" name in time.

Apple's Rendezvous technology, also known in the industry as Zero Configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. It uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically find each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

Following its settlement with Tibco, insiders said Apple proposed that the technology be renamed "OpenTalk" in future versions of the Mac OS X, and actually filed for the applicable trademark. However, "OpenTalk" was a little too "techie" sources said.

"Naturally, when Rendezvous-enabled computers and devices come within range of each other, they say 'hello,' and hence the name 'Bonjour' was later deemed more appropriate," one insider said.

Checks from inside Apple also confirm the name change to Bonjour. According to extremely well-placed sources, the latest internal builds of Apple's next-generation Tiger operating system have shed all mention of the Rendezvous name in favor of Bonjour. Builds of Tiger are fast approaching the 8A39x milestone, and subsequently an official release within the next few months, sources said.

As reported by AppleInsider earlier this month, Apple filed for a trademark on the name "Bonjour" on January 28th. In the filing, the company describes Bonjour as "computer software for the automatic configuration of computer networks, computer programs, computer peripherals and other electronic devices."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ya know, I thought Safari was gonna be the last of the really dorky names Apple could come up with.

Evidently I was wrong.

"Jean-Francois iiz yor Moc zaying Bonjour to my Moc?"

"Mais non Jean-Luc, ov curse non. Eet iiz onlee lookeeng fer zee printeer"

"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

"Beut non Jean-Luc, I zwear! My Moc just sez Bonjour to my printeer!"

"I belieeve you not you wannaa-bee Eeeeenglish knnnnniggit! iuu zmell of eldeerberries"

"Jean-Luc, I zwear, Monti Pie-ton iiz not funni when iuu arre Fronch"

"... iez, but you diid tri and zay zee Bonjour to my Moc, non?"

"Jean-Luc, TA GEULLE"

"Hon hon hon..."
  • Reply 2 of 59
    I guess google already had 'hello' so they had to try the next most popular language.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Quote:

[i]"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

"Beut non Jean-Luc, I zwear! My Moc just sez Bonjour to my printeer!"

"I belieeve you not you wannaa-bee Eeeeenglish knnnnniggit! iuu zmell of eldeerberries"

"Jean-Luc, I zwear, Monti Pie-ton iiz not funni when iuu arre Fronch"

" [/B]

zoot alors, that was good. I need some wine and cheese now...
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Replacing one cr@ppy name with another. Personally, iThink this one is even worse. Do those guys @ Apple think that French names are fancy or fashionable or what?

J-23
  • Reply 5 of 59
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Racists
  • Reply 6 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    What an asstastic name.

Try again Apple
  • Reply 7 of 59
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

What an asstastic name.

Try again Apple

agreed. opentalk seems fine to me though. but why make up an extra name and not call it zeroconf? both sound less 'techie' than stuff like hyperthreading.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    One word: FreedomNet
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Bonjour doesn't bother me -- it follows Rendezvous. I knew Rendezvous wouldn't work as I'd been working with Tibco RV at my job at the time Apple announced it.

Discovery could have worked if Apple were able to use it, because that is exactly what the technology is about.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

"Jean-Francois iiz yor Moc zaying Bonjour to my Moc?"

"Mais non Jean-Luc, ov curse non. Eet iiz onlee lookeeng fer zee printeer"

"Ah! Mais sacre bleu! Your Moc iiz triing to geet eento my Mocintosh! I zee it! Mah wall of fire sez so! Hon hon hon!"

Le ha ha! *pirouettes*

Bonjour????? Even Konnekt is a better name.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    God, I don't anyone would be dumb enough to rename Rendevous "Bonjour".

I mean why not just call it G'day or Aloha?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    God, I don't think anyone at Apple would be dumb enough to rename Rendevous "Bonjour".

• Reply 13 of 59
    découverte is the French word for discovery, why not call it that? ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikerally

découverte is the French word for discovery, why not call it that? ;-)

Oooh. That's sexy. But probably taken already.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    name it after the most famous explorer of all...

indiana

"indiana? we named the ZERO-CONFIGURATION NETWORKING PROTOCOL indiana..."
  • Reply 16 of 59
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

name it after the most famous explorer of all...

indiana

"indiana? we named the ZERO-CONFIGURATION NETWORKING PROTOCOL indiana..."

Oh how fitting, not just the person, but the state - most people in this state could not figure out basic computer networking if it bit them, oh screw it, you know where this is going, particularly if you have visited Indiana.

[in the tune of Deuling Banjos]

Deer-ner-neer-neer-ner dre-neer-neer!
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Pretty much confirmed, Apple have filled a US trademark on January 25th 2005.

Serial No. 78556312

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?...ate=u4efgc.1.1

• Reply 18 of 59
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    <Cartman>Gay! Totally gay!</Cartman>

What's wrong with "ZeroConf"?

Screed
  • Reply 19 of 59
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I far prefer Yo? or Wazzup?.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by elbay

Because Aloha's already been taken for a networking technology... really!

It was an early research project into dealing with message collision over a shared medium... lessons learned were applied to the later development of Ethernet. Just about anybody with a CompSci degree has to sit through a lecture about Slotted Aloha. It's a rite of passage...