Apple to reshuffle iPod offerings, mini update to gain color screen

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is likely to debut a new iPod mini with a color screen, while rearranging its remaining screen-based iPod offerings.

The pending revision to Apple's iPod mini digital music player will gain a color display and remain priced at US$249, ThinkSecret is reporting.

The rumor site claims the player will debut in either a 5GB or 6GB configuration. Like ThinkSecret, recent reports submitted to AppleInsider also raise the question of whether the player will debut in the previously rumored 5GB capacity, or a larger 6GB model. However, the most reliable information is now pointing to a 6GB capacity.

In either case, sources report that Apple will indeed tap Seagate for the microdrives to be used in the player, regardless of which capacity it will sport. And while there has been no official word of a 6GB microdrive from Seagate, it could likely emerge at any time. Western Digital, another company which manufactures 1-inch hard drives, has already announced plans for a 6GB version.

In related news, AppleInsider this week was able to confirm that Apple has been buying 5GB ST1 microdrives from Seagate since at least December. The iPod maker has been using the 5GB drives in the manufacturing of its current 4GB iPod mini, with a firmware block that restricts the usable capacity of the player to 4GB. This has allowed the company keep up with demand for the minis without having to rely on a single supplier of microdrives. Previously Apple had relied solely on component supplier, Hitachi, for its 4GB microdrives.

ThinkSecret also reports that Apple will shift its full line of iPods away from monochrome displays over the course of the year, a tip AppleInsider can partially confirm. According to sources, Apple will soon discontinue the 40GB iPod with a monochrome display. Sources said Apple will likely fill this gap by reducing the cost of its 40GB iPhoto model to $399, and subsequently the 60GB model to $499 -- both of which have been selling poorly at their current price points.

Hewlett-Packard, which sells re-branded versions of Apple's 20GB and 40GB iPod, has recently entered into a spat with Apple over a lack of price protection offered on the players it buys from Apple. HP, which still has yet to set a date for the release of its re-branded iPod photo player, had at one point halted manufacturing orders for both the iPod models it currently sells. The company feared the burden of biting the full cost of such aforementioned price reductions, or product-line reorganizations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    "ThinkSecret also reports that Apple will shift its full line of iPods away from monochrome displays over the course of the year, a tip AppleInsider can partially confirm."

I would give up on attempting to fully confirm this. I have a feeling you're stuck at the "confirming the Shuffles" part of the full line of iPods.

I hate it when that happens!
  • Reply 2 of 57
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    So why not keep the monochrome and lower prices across the board? iPods have created their own ecologies and diversity is needed to keep other species from coming int and taking over varioius niches.

Margins will continue to get smaller on the things naturally as more competition comes into play.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Yeah, but Apple also has to stay competitive. If all of the other media players are going to a color screen, the iPod may begin to look a little outdated if it kept its monochrome display.

Apple can't afford to let its grip on the digital music player market slip. They have to do whatever they can to stay ahead and also at the same time separate themselves from the "me too" players.

Anyway, the colored interface of the iPod photo looks beautiful and would be a great addition to the iPod lineup.

Mike
  • Reply 4 of 57
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

So why not keep the monochrome and lower prices across the board? iPods have created their own ecologies and diversity is needed to keep other species from coming int and taking over varioius niches.

Margins will continue to get smaller on the things naturally as more competition comes into play.

in part, because changing the system specs and features encourages people into an upgrade path - they're not going to buy the same Mini for cheaper, but they might buy a new mini with better features for the same price and sell their current iPod on to a friend. price has proved to not be that much of a deterrent to iPod shoppers (except perhaps the iPod photo)
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Oh yeah baby. These puppies are gonna be hard to get. Mini AND color screen? This is good. The iPod Photo looks beautiful.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The evidence that the iPod Photo is "selling poorly" is no more than the fact that when others were backordered last year, the Photo was able to meet demand.

I guess Apple gets the blame when there are NOT backorders too
  • Reply 7 of 57
    does this mean that the iPod mini will be able to view photo's and the iPod Photo will become the normal iPod or will there just be a colour screen and no photo capabilities
  • Reply 8 of 57
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    don't think so,

it would be nice to see cover-art, though.

otherwice it would be silly to ad a color display.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Great to know. My aunt's been wanting to buy a mini and I've been telling her to hold off for a while. Look's like she'll finally be able to buy it.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    wait wuh? color screens in minis before the regular iPod! this is insanity. but who cares, ill be in the iPod market in June or so, hopefully when i can buy a 20 gig with a color screen. cover art....yum.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Thanks for the info. I had been waiting for news on any ipod change but got antsy, so I just bought a 60 GB photo for $525 shipped. Guess I won't feel as bad if it drops to $499, but so much for thinking I got a deal
  • Reply 12 of 57
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    I'm looking to get a 20GB iPod once the next revision comes out, so it is good to know this.

My guess is that Apple is going to have to start lowering margins if they want to keep the lead. This would explain how they could move a color screen down a model.

A color mini would sell like mad.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

in part, because changing the system specs and features encourages people into an upgrade path - they're not going to buy the same Mini for cheaper, but they might buy a new mini with better features for the same price and sell their current iPod on to a friend. price has proved to not be that much of a deterrent to iPod shoppers (except perhaps the iPod photo)

First of all I think alot of people will buy "the same mini for cheaper" All those Shuffle folks wanting to upgrade.

Second I assume the hardware for photo versus non-photo is basically the same and it is just a firmware upgrade that would be needed. I know the big IPod Photo is actually larger, but is the controler any different? Moving any harddrive iPod to photo-ness shouldn't be too difficult.

Third, a jump to 6Gigs would be great - a 50% increase for the 4 gig folks and yes, color would make that a significant upgrade path for those people with reasonable amounts of music.

Fourth, I haven't seen the iPod Photo so I have no idea how cool it is. My question, is how many iPod mini folks would upgrade to b/w versus color screens if there were a $100 difference in price? I guess if a color screen costs less than $30 more than the b/w screen my point here is moot!!

Fifth, is there a reason we can't have a $250 iPod with 20 gigs of B/W? And $200 iPod mini? I think all iPod mini's need to get to below $200 by the time the next generation of mp3 players from Sony and friends comes out.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Other than color, what does a color display on an MP3 player bring to the table? Color was important to TV and computer monitors, where you're doing nothing but looking at them when you're using them, but an iPod?!

While I have no doubt they're all moving in that direction eventually, and while, all things being equal, I wouldn't refuse one if offered, it seems to me that as far as "features" go in these players, that one's at or near the bottom. Unless there's some brilliant use of it I'm missing.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    The iPod does much more than just play music so a color screen is an excellent thing to have, says this iPod photo owner. There are games and your calendars, for example. Cover art for your music. Maybe the new mini will also have a new dock with video out and slideshow capability.

Oh, and how about Bluetooth? Wireless to your car and home stereo. Wireless sync with iTunes and iPhoto, iCal, and Address Book.

Yep, a 6GB iPod mini with color screen and Bluetooth would sell like nobody's business.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    If they build it, I will come...well not literally...\

I don't even need an iPod per se, I just sold my silver iPod mini last week to get a iPod 20GB...but a new mini with greater storage and a colour screen...the gadget freak in me couldn't resist, bring it Apple!
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by rseiler

Other than color, what does a color display on an MP3 player bring to the table? Color was important to TV and computer monitors, where you're doing nothing but looking at them when you're using them, but an iPod?!

Think about it this way; hypothetical scenario:

16-year-old kid: Mom! I want a new iPod!

Mother: But we just bought you one 2 months ago!

16-year-old kid: But this one has more storage...and a colour screen!

Mother: *sigh* Well, all right.

• Reply 18 of 57
    The biggest problem with the mini (and I own one as well as a 20GB and a shuffle) is the battery life. If Apple can deliver 12 hours (at least) as well as the storage increase and the colour screen I can see a lot of mini owners upgrading.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

The biggest problem with the mini (and I own one as well as a 20GB and a shuffle) is the battery life. If Apple can deliver 12 hours (at least) as well as the storage increase and the colour screen I can see a lot of mini owners upgrading.

I agree, I was getting around 5 hours max on my mini. In comparison, my new 20GB seems to last forever!
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Noob here on the forum,

I think it's great for the whole iPod line.

I couldn't wait for mine and bought a 60GB photo iPod before Christmas and couldn't be happier.

The color screen is a little harder to read in the sunlight as opposed to the monochrome from what I understand but the album art and extras that come from the color screen more than make up for that.