MPG on iDVD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have iDVD 4, and I made all of my movies that I have on my computer in MPG format. Is there anyway that I can burn them onto a DVD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Perhaps I'm missing some information here, but don't you click "Burn".

At the very least, import the files into a new project and than burn.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Im sorry I guess I forgot to say the problem.

MPG isn't a supported file type. And if you import them to iMovie, not only does it take forever but there is no sound.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mpeg1 and 2 are just meant for playback, not for editing/converting purposes.

have a look here, Dan's site is VERY informative

http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/...cks/6010.shtml
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Are your MPEGs MPEG 1s?

For some reason, QuickTime will not export MPEG1 audio to other formats (and since QuickTime is the basis for iDVD's conversion process, that's why you're getting no sound). I have no idea why QuickTime had this shortcoming, perhaps it is a liscensing issue. To convert MPEG1 into a format compatible with iDVD, you need to use QuickTime Pro to export the video track to an interim format (I suggest Pixlet if you have the space) and convert the audio using a different program, such as ffmpegx.

ffmpegx installation is a bit of an involved process, but the tools are very useful and therefore worth the effort if you're going to be doing this a lot. In ffmpegx, you can select the muxed (i.e. you don't have to demux first) MPEG1 file, deselect the "encode video" tick box in the "video" tab, and select the output audio file format in the "audio" tab.

Once you have exported the video with QuickTime and the audio with ffmpegx, you can recombine the audio and video using QuickTime's "Add Scaled" feature. You may have an issue with audio sync, however.

You could try using ffmpegx to convert the MPEG1 to MPEG2 with AC3 sound so that you can burn straight to DVD using something like toast.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    I found this program on MacUpdate http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15466 it worked well for what I needed it for. Takes a long time, but it works. If anyone else has my problem, it's a good free program to use.

Thank you for your help guys.