i sync and my cell phone

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a brand new motorola cell and I can't get it to be recognized by isync. I have alreaady paired it through the bluthooth in system prefs and have even transferred pics. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Motorola phones use the modern Sync ML protocol to connect phones via bluetooth. iSync does not currently support this. Motorola phones do not have older bluetooth connection protocols. Therefore while you can transfer pictures and audio, using iSync with bluetooth is impossible.

Tiger should offer Sync ML. Until then you can use iSync with a USB cable. Or if you only need contacts you can use OnSync ($10).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Motorola phones use the modern Sync ML protocol to connect phones via bluetooth. iSync does not currently support this. Motorola phones do not have older bluetooth connection protocols. Therefore while you can transfer pictures and audio, using iSync with bluetooth is impossible.

Tiger should offer Sync ML. Until then you can use iSync with a USB cable. Or if you only need contacts you can use OnSync ($10).

iSync already uses SyncML. Are you sure the motorola phones support that?

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 5
    In any case ... the Apple website specifically states that Moto phones will only sync via USB ... even though the "have" bluetooth.

homework, son, homework!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    just to mention:

I'm using a Moto550.

Mac's BT connection/transfer utility work for pics, video, sounds etc.

iSync via BT iz not enabled.

BUT:

I bought a original Moto USB Cable - and it doesn't fit correctly; the round shape of the mobile makes it almost impossible to push the plug "deep" enough into the phone?-

So, I'm not only fumbling with a BT feature, which doesn't work, I'm also in mechanical trouble ;-) Hoping on new iSync/Tiger..........

grrrrrrrrrr
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Motorola phones do indeed use SyncML but their implementation of OBEX is fairly poor which is one of the reasons they do not work over Bluetooth. This despite chairing the committee on standards.

I'm reasonably sure that iSync does not implement SyncML fully, which Tiger will have and then Motorola phones should be able to handle it.