Serial numbers in OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me where the serial numbers for my purchased applications/shareware are stored in OS X? If it makes a difference, I am running 10.3.5. Many thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    If you purchased applications, they are supposed to be either in the box, or written on a paper that came with the box. If you purchased them online, the serial numbers are supposed to be on your e-mail you provided.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Thanks for the reply, Gene. I understand all that, but my question concerns after installing the application/shareware and entering the serial number to activate it, it mu7st be stored somewhere. When I launch an application, like Photoshop, the splash screen shows who it is registered to and the serial number for it. That information must be stored somewhere in OS X so it will not have to be re-entered each time you launch the application. Sorry for not being as clear as I needed to be in the original post.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Every app handles that individually. May be in ~/library/preferences, maybe not.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GrannySmith

Thanks for the reply, Gene. I understand all that, but my question concerns after installing the application/shareware and entering the serial number to activate it, it mu7st be stored somewhere. When I launch an application, like Photoshop, the splash screen shows who it is registered to and the serial number for it. That information must be stored somewhere in OS X so it will not have to be re-entered each time you launch the application. Sorry for not being as clear as I needed to be in the original post.

which applications are you talking about?

(1000th post!)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Well, you could download a crack, assuming you have a legal key, and read the included documentation that was written as it was reverse engineered...

(I take NO responsability for legal issues resulting from this action.)
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Generally they are encrypted in the program's preference files or license files. However, many programs these days will let you toss the preference files without having to re-register your apps, so I expect it's being saved in the application bundle itself.

You can possibly check by looking at all recently modified files immediately before and after entering the code. Whatever changed will be the file you're looking for.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    For MacCrazy: I am specifically looking for my Microsoft Office X serial number. It is just one number for all the apps.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

For MacCrazy: I am specifically looking for my Microsoft Office X serial number. It is just one number for all the apps.

Look in the About window.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Look in the About window.

the about box only gives the Product number and not the serial number. You could try using that number and phoning Microsoft for the serial, good luck! Have you lost the software CDs?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MacCrazy: Unfortunately, my grandson destroyed the CDs so the only place I have the software is on the computer. I was trying to change the user/owner name to his and now apparently cannot. I am going to make a backup CD so I at least have that.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

MacCrazy: Unfortunately, my grandson destroyed the CDs so the only place I have the software is on the computer. I was trying to change the user/owner name to his and now apparently cannot. I am going to make a backup CD so I at least have that.

Thanks for all the replies.

I assume you mean the CDs and the box. I really would try phoning Microsoft, have you got your receipt for the software?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

the about box only gives the Product number and not the serial number. You could try using that number and phoning Microsoft for the serial, good luck! Have you lost the software CDs?

Oops, sorry.

Leave it to microsoft to invent a need for the confusing scenario of multiple serial numbers per copy.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Yes, I do still have the receipt. I am going to call them tomorrow and try to get it all straightened out. Probably what I should have done in the first place instead of cluttering up the forum with it.

Again, thanks for all the replies. They have definitely provided some insight into this new (to me) system. Was stuck on 9.2.2 for so long and liked it as it was very easy to deal with. Serial numbers, etc. were a snap to find and almost anything else you wanted to do. Will just take time to get up to speed as much as I need to with OS X.

Thanks people, you're the greatest!