Thinking About Developing, Or Well, Programming

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    can someone be so kind to explain to me what's the difference between object c and java? can i use object c in windows? thanks!
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Objective-C and Java are completely different. That's like asking someone to explain the differences between apples and oranges.

Objective-C can be compiled for Windows if you use the GCC compiler. Cocoa, which is the main reason to use Objective-C, will not. If you're programming cross-platform, I would recommend using C++.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    thanks. i am a java / .net person trying to find a comparative programming language in Mac. so far from what i have read in this thread, connecting to a database and playing around with it will be the most problematic part..
  • Reply 44 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Objective-C can be compiled for Windows if you use the GCC compiler. Cocoa, which is the main reason to use Objective-C, will not.

But GNUStep will. GNUStep is a Cocoa clone that is freely available. Is it as good? Naw. It's a couple years behind as far as feature go. (I don't believe they have bindings yet, for instance.)

So yes, you can use Obj-C and GNUStep on Windows (or Linux) to get some experience with Cocoa-esque programming under your belt. It just won't be as nice as the real thing.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And just to keep this one clear, pulling it out into another threadlet...

Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Objective-C and Java are completely different.

Care to explain this one? I'm curious how you see them being completely different.

Syntactically, they are quite different. Obj-C drew its conceptual model (for OO) and syntax from Smalltalk. Java pulled its conceptual model from Obj-C and Smalltalk, and its syntax from C++. (Bad Gosling! No donut!)

Conceptually, they aren't that different. The underlying languages have more in common than say, Obj-C and C++, or Java and C++. The JVM is a runtime implementation detail that wasn't even new (P-Lisp?), but the runtimes are quite similar.

Of course, one was designed to be a melding of procedural and OO methodologies, but allow each to be optimized for its own strengths, and keeping the syntax cleanly defined between the two realms so it was easy to see what was going on where, while the other was originally designed to run toasters, until the management and marketing folks got ahold of it and pushed it farther than it ever should have gone. (Look up Sun's Project Oak sometime. That was the start of Java. It was *literally* supposed to run net-aware kitchen appliances and such, that was all.)

Not that I'm biased or anything.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    It's not that they're complete opposites of each other, but they're dissimilar enough that to explain the differences would require extensive descriptions of each that are better suited to a Google search.

They're apples and oranges. Both fruits, both object oriented, but that's the bulk of their similarities.

I think hltommy2 thought that they were really close, like Granny Smith and Red Delicious apples. But really, they're only tangently related, and rather than explaining the specific differences, I just pointed out that they're different enough so that if he really wanted a lengthy response, he could ask and/or Google.

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson, I didn't know much about the design philosophies behind each language.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Regarding the Cocoa-Java Application Tutorial (Apple's Tutorial "Coverter Controller")

So... I have ran into this problem before. If you look on that page you see that the ConverterController (Custom) Info Window says converter for an outlet... but I don't see how I am supposed to add it and I followed (as much as I can say) the directions from the previous pages and still find myself in a rut with this still not working and showing up in my own ConverterController (Custom) Info Window. I don't know if this is a huge problem... but I'm sure it's pretty damn important...

So if anyone out there can give me a hand for a minute and see what I might have skipped; please let me know.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    On the previous page of the tutorial, after the instructions to add dollarField, rateField and totalField, and before the heading "Define the Actions of the Class", it says to add an outlet named "converter" to your ConverterController class. If you did that, then I have no idea.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

it says to add an outlet named "converter" to your ConverterController class. If you did that, then I have no idea.

ha I knew it would be something simple like that. I think I got too much into it. Thanks Mac.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    In regards to figuring out something that might be easy to program might be some sort of plugin that would give a name to bookmarks (Or just referenced to the name they are saved as) so that when you type that name in the bar... it would go to the page without all of the www's and .com's and stuff...

What might that use for programming language?
  • Reply 51 of 63
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    I started to pick up some Cocoa a couple years ago as a hobby, but ran out of time. I tried self-taught by buying a C book and working through it. I actually learned quite a bit that way. But, I needed some structure, so I took an intro to C class at my local community college. That really helped a lot. The professor would assign projects, and as I started to feel a litle comfortable with C, I decided to start doing the little C projects side by side with Xcode/Obj-C. So, I would do the little projects in C, then basically convert the project into Cocoa, GUI included.

Unfortunately the class was Winders based, so my professor couldn't revel in my genius , but I made him little QT movies of my apps. Nothing like a little brown nosing to get that A+.

Anyhow, I found several really good Cocoa books, including;

Learning Cocoa with Objective-C- O'Reilly & Associates

Building Cocoa Application- O'Reilly & Associates

Cocoa Recipes for Mac OS X, The Vermont Recipes- Bill Cheeseman; good for solving problems as you get better at Cocoa

Cocoa Programming- Anguish, Buck, & Yacktman; a bit more in depth than the others.

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X- Aaron Hillegass; Aaron also is part of a well regarded group of guys who run The Big Nerd Ranch. If you have the cash, you might check out their Cocoa Mini-Bootcamp, which is a 2 day class for $1000, lodging and food included.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

You can do Cocoa Java programming, if you want... here's a intro tutorial/app:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...uid/TP30001111

If you just want to run through a Java programming book and do examples, then I'd suggest using the Eclipse IDE.

I have done the Currency Converter for a while now. I was wondering how people get their apps to come in a package with the fancy package/multipackage icon when they download it, and also how they add program icons too. Any idea? Also, why are there so many things in the folder in which Currency Converter came in? Can it survive without the use of these? Or is there a special process to making an app ready for regular use and not developmental use.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Meh,

My vote goes that it's bad form to bump up such an old thread, as the reader may not realize it and the information could be out of date.

Better to start again and link to the old one.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    The link is still good, and I just created the program with it without any flaws. Worth bumping to me. No need to repopulate the post count for an ongoing discussion, I the creator of, decided to bring back.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Look in Build/Debug and you will find your compiled application. This should run anywhere, but of course it has the normal generic application icon on it. Note that this is a debug build... in order to make a non-debug version, you'll need to change your build parameters in Xcode. Select the menu item "project->Set Active Build Configuration->Release", and upon building you'll find your application in Build/Release. On such a small project the debug and release versions will perform the same, but as things get larger you'll want to set different compiler options for debug and release.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

...Note that this is a debug build... in order to make a non-debug version, you'll need to change your build parameters in Xcode. Select the menu item "project->Set Active Build Configuration->Release"...

Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 57 of 63
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Look in Build/Debug and you will find your compiled application. This should run anywhere, but of course it has the normal generic application icon on it. Note that this is a debug build...

To clarify, a debug build will NOT run anywhere. As Fluffy implied, debug/release use different compile and linker options, so that the debug version can be re-built very quickly as you find and fix bugs. Among other things, IIRC it re-uses many pre-compiled and pre-linked bits of code. As a result a debug version will only run on the Mac on which you built it. If you want to run the compiled app on any other machine, you have to build a release version.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I actually might consider taking up programming as well, since it's one job that people will never be able or want to be able to do for themselves, unlike website development, etc.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    The absolute best way to learn a subject is to teach it because your "students" will ask you questions you would not have thought of yourself. How can you teach if you do not know the material? Join a user group that you can physically attend in addition to online user groups/forums. Even if the topics discussed are beyond your comprehension still go to them so you can get a "heads up" on your learning. Usually, the user group will have a calendar so you can see what topics are going to be discussed, and you can start to build a network of programming contacts which could help you in your programming career if you decide to get into program development.

You will find all sorts of personalities in a group ranging from the bullying know-it-all that knows nothing-at-all, to the soft-spoken programmer that has a lot to contribute, but can't get a word in because of the know-it-all. For this reason, I suggest you speak with as many members of the group as you can to find the ones with a personality that compliments your own. They do not even have to be the smartest or quickest as long as they can increase your knowledge either directly (explain something to you) or indirectly (asking you questions that make you rethink your logic).
  • Reply 60 of 63
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

To clarify, a debug build will NOT run anywhere.

Not normally, no. Sorry for the confusion. As for the icon, you can set the path to the icon file in the target properties. Double click the current target and you will be able to enter the path in the "properties" tab. (Might be different for Java projects...) Remember that the resources are copied into the App bundle, so you'll want to use that copy of the image as your path.