ibook prices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to swich to apple and want a notebook. I will be using my notebook for studioMX which I will buy once I get a apple. I would like to spend around $500 but I see the new ibook G4 is around a $1000. I'm no mac expert but just want to think different so all you mac experts help me find the best machine for my money for what I want

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    well if you only have 500 bucks you're only choice for a new machine is the mac mini, but only having 256MB ram is a bit weak. honestly, $1000 for a nice laptop isnt that bad. i'm not saying its chump change b/c i dont have that much money either, but buying a computer is something i expect to save and pay for with more than just a couple paychecks.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    r00dr00d Posts: 14member
    well it does not have to be new. I see some G3 laptops on ebay for around 500 but the ram would need upgradeing not sure how G3's are now for todays standards. If theres a site that has G4's cheap then 999 then please post but Ive had no luck finding any
  • Reply 3 of 11
    no more input ?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Cheapest new G4 iBook that I'm aware of:

Last generation 1 GHz G4 iBook model, $799:

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0173858

No clue on how much the G3 models are going for, though I'd suggest seeing if you can up your range closer to a new/used G4 model.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    yeah I just found that site also and that is the cheapest price yet. G3s ive been been around 500 but buy the time you upgrade it you can buy a G4 almost so im better off saving up for that $800 one. Anyone ever bought anything off this site before http://microcenter.com ?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    After rebate, Amazon has the current iBook for $899! If you qualify for their card, you can get another $30 off.

Plus, if you register with the same as your store account ID and use A9.com (search engine), you can earn another 1.5 percent off after a few days.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wish newegg had ibooks
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I bought mine from MicroCenter for $799 as posted above. I figured I would not likely see a price like that for NEW iBook for quite a while, so I bought it. Fortunately, the store is 20-30 minutes away from my house. AFAIK, there aren't that many MicroCenters out there, but I think they do offer free shipping. They seem like a reputable retailer (in case you were worried about that), and they have nice store to browse, too.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    yes that is the cheapest place and I'm saving up for it wish I could just pay 800 right out but house payments hold you back
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well, hopefully MicroCenter keeps that price long enough for you. They've been this price for about a month, so I'm guessing they're just getting rid of the remaining 1.0ghz models to make room for the 1.2s.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I was in the same position as the OP, except no games.

I chose the PB, y?

faster, which will ensure it lasting longer.

More memory is something i plan on adding anyway later on to the PB in about 6-8 months after i find a good deal

i wanted a superdrive

better video card

The last 2 things you can't really improve/add onto later on down the road, plus it just has a better build. Go w/ the PB, you won't regret it.