PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Well.. maybe not all time, but it was a stupid move.

How can you say that? In the same thread were people complain Apple isn't cutting edge enough, and when they are - you complain about price. I just don't believe it. You can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 182 of 632
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Hehe

We all bitch a lot.
  • Reply 183 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

How can you say that? In the same thread were people complain Apple isn't cutting edge enough, and when they are - you complain about price. I just don't believe it. You can't have it both ways.

My bad. You totally have a point. And I knew that right after they announced it, but I just spaced.
  • Reply 184 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Hehe

We all bitch a lot.

That's because all this waiting and guessing and frustration

has given us all a big bad case of

Power Mac Syndrome
  • Reply 185 of 632
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

That's because all this waiting and guessing and frustration

has given us all a big bad case of

Power Mac Syndrome

I have got that one bad.

What makes it worse, is I buy computers every four years or so, so it is just not a six month wait it is a very long 4 years in some ways.

We need this now Steve. Bring us to the PowerMacPromiseLand

BZ
  • Reply 186 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    YEAH TOTALLY! This powermac purchase is going to have to last 4 years, to have it already 8 months old, and to be replaced in the next few months is fustrating. As in theory, we're buying old and outdate hardware- a big no no in the computer world.

I keep saying the same thing here over and over. sorry. last post!
  • Reply 187 of 632
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    My G4/400 has served me for 5 years thanks to some upgrades but the 2xAGP and 100 MHz bus starts to be a limit. Will it take until 2010 until AGP is a limit???

I will skip the G5 and wait for the dual core G6 and PCIe when ever that occur. Both AMD and Intel will soon have dual cores out and they are both working on CPUs that gets more real power as opposed to just MHz. The Centrino at 2 GHz beats a 3.6 GHz P4 so I fully expect the G5 to be out of the race as a high end CPU within a year.

Those dual core IBM CPUs better be good, really really good.
  • Reply 188 of 632
    Well, I'm convinced that because we haven't seen any Power Mac upgrades yet this year (and they are long overdue), at least when they come it will be a major upgrade - not just incremental.

In the beginning of January I was guessing we would see upgrades (just incremental - up to 2.8, more RAM, HD etc.) sometime in January or beginning of February since Power Mac sales has been stagnating for a while now. But now I've got the feeling Apple is waiting until they can roll out something big, and that it will come out "soon" (probably sometime March). The logic that dictates this is that if they cannot roll out the major upgrade until June or July, they would (should) have most likely rolled out a small upgrade in January in order to keep sales going until Summer.

Anyhow, Apple needs a major upgrade now - the time has passed for just a small one. If they don't deliver, a lot of people are going to be very angry and dissapointed, and form a mob with pitchforks and torches and head to Cupertino (I'll be one of them )

Unfortuantely this whole mess is getting very close to the infamous 500Mhz G4.... This is sad times for the Power Mac line indeed, I hope there is light at the the end of the tunnel and we'll see it soon.
  • Reply 189 of 632
    Quote:

Unfortuantely this whole mess is getting very close to the infamous 500Mhz G4.... This is sad times for the Power Mac line indeed, I hope there is light at the the end of the tunnel and we'll see it soon.

Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz. Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.
  • Reply 190 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz.

It's not as bad yet, but it's getting closer *shivers*...

The Power Mac G5 was introduced in June 2003 (shipped in August 03), and since then all we have seen is a 25% speed increase and that's over a period of more than 1 1/2 years...

Quote:

Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.

I hope so
  • Reply 191 of 632
    Ive been using a my B&W G3/300 for 6 yrs come this may, but with a little help maxing out the ram to a gig helps a lot. It has been serving me fairly well. Its just that the software that is coming out wont run very well or not at all with my machine...and of course it being kinda slow... I am on the upgrade train as well, and just waiting and hoping to a get a dual something-or- other PM when ever the next update comes out...I shall save my pennies and tax return until then..and use my student discount too.

• Reply 192 of 632
    Quote:

A MacWorld DC expo would rock!

I'm all for it!

Right across the street from FOSE

/http://www.fose.com/

It would be a very wise move to promote Apple

right in the heart of the nations capitol during the annual

government IT expos.

Security is a major selling point and MS has faltered badly

on that issue.

FOSE is renting a skyscraper ad on the Apple website . . . maybe Apple will have a booth?
  • Reply 193 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

Those dual core IBM CPUs better be good, really really good.

I'll be able to tell you in a couple months . . . I was complaining at work that our old Sun boxen were too old [the computation I was running was taking 77hours to complete] and that we need to replace them.

So I requested a pair of XServes. That was approved, until the higherup tech-biggots replied "can't own Apple".

So, now we have two IBM Power-V systems on the way.*

Not that I'm complaining: it's like saying you need a faster car for pizza delivery and being given an F-18.

* The G5 is a stripped down version of the Power-IV. The Power-V is the next PPC generation derived from the Power-IV, with dual-cores as well.
  • Reply 194 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Bah! Come on man that's pure hyperbole and you know it, I don't think anything was as bad as being stuck at 500Mhz. Don't worry..I think we'll be happy about the next revision.

I think I would be happier if they actually waited until WWDC. If Apple had a choice before if the update were to be soon, or to be big. I hope they choose BIG, and ready by WWDC.
  • Reply 195 of 632
    In another thread or possibly earlier in this one, someone said, "so all we'll get is pukey Antares". This prompts the following three questions:

1. Will a Power5 based PM be automatically dubbed a G6?

2. Would Apple (assuming these Power5 dual cores were ready to go in ample supply as well as mobo redesigned, etc.) upgrade the PM line that quickly?

3. Would "pukey Antares" combined with PCIe, better GPU's, larger HD's satisfy those on this thread with PM syndrome?

(My answers:

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Only for the short haul.)
  • Reply 196 of 632
    Hi

I've just been browsing the powermac section of the apple site.

I clicked on Quicktime VR and it took me to the file not found page

http://www.apple.com/hardware/galler...t2003_480.html

So natural i'm being optimistic and thinking this could mean a new case design is coming soon ???

Lets hope

David

www.davidjennings.co.uk
  • Reply 197 of 632
    no wishfull thinking - maybe its just the uk site that directed me to the 2003 vr page

doh

David
  • Reply 198 of 632
    Every U.S. retailer nationwide is having a George Washinton's Birthday Sale.

Apparently Apple isn't very fond of using the " S " word

or presidents.

• Reply 199 of 632
    Quote:

Every U.S. retailer nationwide is having a George Washinton's Birthday Sale.

Apparently Apple isn't very fond of using the " S " word

or presidents.

not republican ones anyway.
  • Reply 200 of 632
    Oh goody,

I can barely contain my enthusiasm that Apple is upgrading the iPods.

For once I hope TS is completely wrong

All we need is another nifty 'lil gadget side tracking a serious pro workstation again.

I doubt that anything else major would find it's way to us before March

now. Grrrrrr!