Advice for someone starting up on their own?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've decided that I'm going to go it alone.

I've been a graphic designer for the last 7 years and I've reached the conclusion that no matter how hard I work, I'm never going to achieve a commensurate standard of living if I continue to work for other people. My portfolio gets worse with every passing year, thanks to people further up the food chain would are intent on dumbing everything down.

I'm bricking it at the prospect of going it alone however. It means giving up my house and what little lifestyle I have. I fear that two years from now that the whole venture is going to be a complete disaster and that I'm going to have blown through my, and my family's, life saving and have nothing to show for it. I'm scared that clients aren't going to like what I design and that I'll lack the most basic of arguing skills required to survive business.

I guess these feeling are normal, as I'm about to embark on a venture that is completely new to me, and I lack any frames of reference?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Learn to love cold calling - or at least handle it.

There's no other way at the beginning.

Yeah, that's something that I'm not looking forward to. I guess practice make perfect, eh? (And I guess there'll be plenty of opportunity to practice, right?)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    do you have a portfolio website? set one up then let's talk...

i'd love to help you, i tried making a run for it with me own freelance/independent/etc multimedia design and kinda flamed out... now living with my parents i'm 26

you will definitely need some business-type stuff eg

accountant, tax expert, lawyer just in case

try to hook up with small-business owner-networks

dedicated space in yer house is always always good

your computer(s) will become your most important assets... to generate income... next to your health... so maintenance and backup of those is very very important (both your health and your tech)

but check out my site anyways, and let's chat on this forum. Welcome Graphic and Web Designers of AppleInsider...!

http://www.phatcraft.com

yeahhh

-an ex-designer, so to speak
  • Reply 3 of 24
    messiah, maybe i am a jaded bastard but based on your concerns, i understand that corporate rubbish makes you want to gouge eyeballs out and demeans you as an artist

but you should consider transitioning to your own business rather than just taking one big jump

if things are not too bad at work, maybe try light-side work (eg for environmental, non-profit groups etc.) where you might splash your flair

also, maybe start some moonlighting among your friends, and some external contacts and yes, if you're concerned about your portfolio you will have to do some spec stuff (for your own satisfaction anyway)

well this was the advice my parents gave me but i was in a rebellious state so i took the plunge, high risk, high rewards, but i burnt out so i am recovering now

all the best

speak soon....
  • Reply 4 of 24
    That's probably the best advice. Start up while you still have a day job, or at least pick up a part time job to do while you're starting up. As a consultant you won't have a steady stream of work anyway.

The other thing I have to make plain is the fact that there are better jobs out there than "graphic design," and I'm sure you have some alternative skills. Beyond that, if you're really an artist, graphic design work just isn't worth it, and I know many great artists who keep it as a hobby, if only because that's the only way for it to be fulfilling, and it makes the quality of the art much better.

But, if you really want to stay the course, you should find a niche and ride it. You may have to buy some production equipment, so take out a loan and do it. The old saying "it takes money to make money" is very true.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I've decided that I'm going to go it alone.

I've been a graphic designer for the last 7 years and I've reached the conclusion that no matter how hard I work, I'm never going to achieve a commensurate standard of living if I continue to work for other people. My portfolio gets worse with every passing year, thanks to people further up the food chain would are intent on dumbing everything down.

I'm bricking it at the prospect of going it alone however. It means giving up my house and what little lifestyle I have. I fear that two years from now that the whole venture is going to be a complete disaster and that I'm going to have blown through my, and my family's, life saving and have nothing to show for it. I'm scared that clients aren't going to like what I design and that I'll lack the most basic of arguing skills required to survive business.

I guess these feeling are normal, as I'm about to embark on a venture that is completely new to me, and I lack any frames of reference?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

well there is certainly no reason to be pessimistic, but running a business is hard. i started my own about a year ago just to do some small things (it's actually a "DBA"), and its hard work keeping receipts and everything in order so uncle sam is happy. i've also seen a few fairly strong creative businesses go under even though they seemed to be doing fine. the important thing is to keep things in check. maybe start slow and get a few clients, then let word of mouth expand your business. if your work is good, it will speak for itself and the business will follow. finally, based on my experience, even if youre on your on your own you'll have to put up with clients telling you what to do. best of luck though, and i hope some of my comments helped.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Hi guys, many thanks for all your responses ? they've all been helpful.

The company I work for at the moment has five members of staff ? I'm the only designer, and I handle all the print work. There are two directors who handle new business, a web/database programmer and a production manager. The way I see it, there are only two people generating billable hours and another three people riding on the coat tails.

We do a LOT of work for charities and public bodies. The very nature of this work is that you have to design for the lowest common denominator. This means that if 1% of the population can't read text below 14pt, then everything you produce must be 14pt or above. Needless to say, there's not much you can do with a document that has 14pt text, and the client doesn't want to up the page count.

Now, I'm not too worried about this, because there's not to much you can do about it and if I were to start up on my own I would still have the same problems ? but it would be nice to know that I was going to benefit from it financially. It's hard to motivate yourself when you know tht every job is going to look shite, and somebody else is away spending the money like it has an expiry date.

I'm well aware that I'm going to face the same problems if I work for myself, the major one being that the project is dictated by someone (the client) who clearly doesn't know what they are doing. But, there is also the fact that as business picks up you can afford to shed the useless clients and nuture the good ones. At the moment I can't do this because I'm given the work whether I like it or not.

At the moment, I'm stuck in a dead end job and whenever I go for an interview elsewhere it's clear for all to see that my portfolio stinks. Everything looks the same (because I'm not allowed time to try and develop jobs) and I know that I lot motivation about two years ago ? I've just been treading water since then. If I were self employed, I would be able to spend as much time as I wanted on a job (within reason).

I'm starting to get more involved in the new business and business development side of things ? and I can't help thinking that if they want me to do this then why don't I do it for myself?

Everything tells me the same story ? that I should be running my own company. Every fibre in my body tells me that I'm not carved out to be an employee, and that I should be taking control of my own destiny.

The only problem is, I'm a bit of a chicken!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    what sort of Art to do you do? conceptual art, cartoons? ...? website?

definitely startup on the side, and make one cold call a day

get used to working 60+ hours a week, with no benefits, and no reitrement.

(but it's worth it)
  • Reply 8 of 24
    My last (and for that matter my first) visit to the US dates almost ten years back and at that time I went to High School and were not really open to or interested in how things concerning self-employment or running a small business.

So, I do not know how the situation here compares to your's.

But here it goes: Over here we have local chambers of commerce. These, the local community colleges and other organization from the federal or economic sector hold seminars on the topic of self-employment. They teach the basics, tell you what you need to do, where and when to do/get it, but the most important thing is that there are quite a few others with the same intention of taking the plunge. These can be valuable contacts as they all are potential clients (although I do not know what your specialty is).

And from my experience (tried to run my own small hardware shop), the first clients are the hardest to get. The first few satisfied customers will be the best advertisement you can get... never underestimate the power of the word of mouth.

I would also recommend not to jump head over heals into this endevour. In your free time, try to aquire the business skills needed (a little communication skills ain't bad either) and improve the skills you are considering building your business on.

Try to work in your area of expertise as much as you can: when your regular job does not permit personal and professional advancement try to find a new one or try to work for (higher-profile) non-profit organisation for free. The later one is also good for making new contacts.

Maybe you can find other professionals in your field of work that are also looking to starting a business on their own and try to combine forces.

When you think you've talked to enough people (maybe you already get the first inquieries) that might constitute a first customer base and you are confident of your skills, take the plunge!

But there is one last thing, believe in yourself! I are in doubt, you will most likely not succeed. Talk to your family, their love and support will give you further strength and confidence.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

At the moment, I'm stuck in a dead end job and whenever I go for an interview elsewhere it's clear for all to see that my portfolio stinks.

It doesn't matter how good your accountant will be or how well your 'in' with the local Chamber of Commerce.

If your portfolio 'stinks' then change it!

Keep your current job for a while....and take the money.

Re-design some of the stinky jobs how they SHOULD of been.

Get some real freelance work. Do a couple of simple jobs for free. (My first web site was for my barber!) Anyone you know needs a bit of work? Do it.

If you know any other freelancers....go talk to them.

Find other designers' portfolio sites online. See what the quality is. Great work can be inspiring... and even bad work can be educational.

Set yourself a target to "get a good folio". Six months, 9 months ? Whatever.

You won't be 'stuck in a dead end job' ....the job will be subsidising the start of your new career.

Keep your pecker up. No sleep till bedtime. Good luck
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

It doesn't matter how good your accountant will be or how well your 'in' with the local Chamber of Commerce.

If your portfolio 'stinks' then change it!

Keep your current job for a while....and take the money.

Re-design some of the stinky jobs how they SHOULD of been.

Get some real freelance work. Do a couple of simple jobs for free. (My first web site was for my barber!) Anyone you know needs a bit of work? Do it.

If you know any other freelancers....go talk to them.

Find other designers' portfolio sites online. See what the quality is. Great work can be inspiring... and even bad work can be educational.

Set yourself a target to "get a good folio". Six months, 9 months ? Whatever.

You won't be 'stuck in a dead end job' ....the job will be subsidising the start of your new career.

Keep your pecker up. No sleep till bedtime. Good luck

*shakes fist* damn you London designers! all full of vigour and energy!!

• Reply 11 of 24
    Be prepared for the starving artist lifestyle. I did this in my younger days and attribute this to my success in the corporate world. You get a totally different perspective when everything depends on YOU.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I was in the same boat as you. I was doing Webdesign, and people have no idea how to sell themselves or what looks good, i.e. animated .gifs all over the place, etc. At any rate, I was at the time doing photography for my own personal growth of being artistic, since my design skills were being butchered. I developed a great portfolio while enjoying what I did. I hooked up with another photographer who had no business sense, but whose work is just astounding. I didn't want him to compete against me in the long run, so I brought him on board as a partner. I maintained my day job while showing clients some of my work. Not for jobs, just for input. I got great feedback, and started to adjust my marketing before even starting it. I opened up a place downtwown for little money to get a professional presence. I then started to put adverts in several papers and guides, knowing that I would not get a big response, but the name would be out there. I am now paying a lot of money for a phonebook ad, which I know will get me a lot of business because the phonebook is something that everybody holds on to, unlike newspaper ads or guides.

You will want to do a couple pro bono work in the beginning, charging very little, or even taking a loss to get the word of mouth going. Make a web portfolio and a tangible item as well, something to hand out. Make sure that you know why you are different from anyone else, and ensure that price is that the differentiating fact. Why should someone choose you over the next guy? Prove it! Etc. Have a vision statement, and a goal 1-2 years out, and check yourself to ensure you are doing what you can to meet those goals.

Cold calling is a pain, but it is something that needs to be done. What I did and do is hired a couple of high school kids to get me the initial contact through cold calling. I pay them a commission based on what package they sell for me. So, I don't pay them, until the job that they got me pays, then they get a percentage. It works out well, and you will find that they do a great job and actually make quite a bit of money, so long as you can close the deal and upsale as you are supposed to. Then, you have their word of mouth as well, and you don't have to worry about losing money on employees because they work on commission. Make sense??

Definitely keep your day job, as you will find that there is a lot of money that needs to be spent in order to make money. The more you have in reserves the better!! I hope this helps and good luck!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Show no fear. This doesn't mean to be arrogant, or to refuse work outright, but just don't forget that you provide valuable services and quality work. Negotiation is a part of the game, and of course, different clients have different budgets, but don't let yourself think that getting lowballed constantly is OK just because you're starting out. If you're not sure how to price your work, get a copy of the AIGA guidelines.

I'd actually recommend against taking pro bono work for the sake of taking it (unless it's for a cause you support, that is), as you've been working for some time and should have a decent portfolio. Put your hours into looking for paying clients. If word gets around that you work for cheap, those are the types of clients that will call most often. When you do get called in to present your portfolio, try to customize it to show pieces relavent to the client.

Edit: OK, obviously, I didn't read your earlier posts about your portfolio, or I wouldn't have made that comment about "you must have a decent" one. My other recommendations still stand, though. Identify the types of clients you want to work for, and go after them from the beginning. Also, if most of your current pieces have been "dumbed down," what about putting earlier drafts of your work in your portfolio instead, before the "hatchet jobs"?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I should have elaborated more on the pro bono work. At first people don't know the kind of work you do, and why they should go with you. You need to get jobs in the door. Offer them a grand opening discount...The pricing will remain whatever you decide to price at, but you need an introductory offer to get the money flowing. It is very rare, especially in design, to just be able to break in and charge what you want. You earn that, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. Just offer a discount at first, so that the precedence is there for the higher prices, and you still get those people that are willing to take the risk on your services. It is very easy to think at this for me from the business side, but staying in touch with the customer is what is important.

Put it this way, you don't have a portfolio that you are proud of, you don't have any current presence on your own, under your own name. Why should a client choose you? If you need to show what you can do, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. It is up to you where, and what you want your business model to be....
  • Reply 15 of 24
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

The only problem is, I'm a bit of a chicken!

me too...

still am.

i started my own bussiness a couple of years ago and the prospects in the first year were very good. i worked my ass of. i had a daytime job to pay the rent and something to fall back at.

i'm happy i didn't make the big big splash, especially because after that year the ict-crash crashed the entire publishing bussiness.

it's getting better again, but i'm happy i kept my daytime job. a job btw that's not artistic nor creative, but that i love to do, with a great team of people.

so about the daytime job and starting up your own bussiness i'm with splinemodel and sunilraman. but i have the luxery that i love my daytime job and you don't.

you need to do something you love to do and that makes you feel good. probally you don't get rich by doing so, but that's not the most important thing.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Hmmm...I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, iJerry. I think it's important to know what the market will bear, and to charge appropriately within that.

This is anecdotal, but part of my job is to purchase design services--graphic design, typesetting, illustration, photography, printing. Every project has a budget attached to it. If a designer I want to use (new or old) quotes a price above the project budget, I'll let him/her know, and we'll negotiate from there. As long as we can agree to a price within the project's budget, I'll assign it to them.

Incidently, if a designer quotes a price below the project budget (which almost never happens), I'll take it, but that low price isn't what makes me want to assign it to that person. If I contact a designer (new or old) about a project, it's because I've already made up my mind that that person will be a good fit for the project--in my mind, I've offered it to him/her, and it's up to the designer to accept the budget I propose, refuse, or negotiate on price. A designer who offers me a "discount" is only shortchanging him/herself.

Of course, my experience is my experience, and yours is yours. There's more than one way to approach this. Not all clients work like I do, and Messiah will ultimately have to figure this out for him/herself.

I agree about the portfolio, though--Messiah, if you don't think you have one that rates, you'll need to develop it somehow.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jesperas

Hmmm...I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, iJerry. I think it's important to know what the market will bear, and to charge appropriately within that.

This is anecdotal, but part of my job is to purchase design services--graphic design, typesetting, illustration, photography, printing. Every project has a budget attached to it. If a designer I want to use (new or old) quotes a price above the project budget, I'll let him/her know, and we'll negotiate from there. As long as we can agree to a price within the project's budget, I'll assign it to them.

Incidently, if a designer quotes a price below the project budget (which almost never happens), I'll take it, but that low price isn't what makes me want to assign it to that person. If I contact a designer (new or old) about a project, it's because I've already made up my mind that that person will be a good fit for the project--in my mind, I've offered it to him/her, and it's up to the designer to accept the budget I propose, refuse, or negotiate on price. A designer who offers me a "discount" is only shortchanging him/herself.

Of course, my experience is my experience, and yours is yours. There's more than one way to approach this. Not all clients work like I do, and Messiah will ultimately have to figure this out for him/herself.

I agree about the portfolio, though--Messiah, if you don't think you have one that rates, you'll need to develop it somehow.

I agree with that. Every client is different in their needs and expectations, you learn as you go how to adjust your prices for a particular work. I don't price low, and my costs remain the same no matter what, but if you came back to me and said to re-negotiate price, I would just give a discount in return for future business opportunities. Stuff like that. I agree that you don't want to undercut yourself, because you are pricing yourself out with design work, and you don't want to underprice what you are capable of. There are so many different ways to go about this that there really is no one answer, but if our conversation has helped Messiah, then that is all that matters!!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Hi

I'm into my 4th year of working for myself, my biggest advice for you would be keep an eye on your cashflow.

Some months you feel on top of the world everything is great yu start looking at new hardware etc other months you want to tear your hair out with clients not paying and jobs not comming in.

The problem is that with only yourself working when you are busy there is no one out bringing more work in so when the current jobs end you have a period of time before you get paid that there is less to do and less leads to follow up on.

anyway good luck

j.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Johnrp offers the most important piece of advice yet for the new entrepreneur: watch cash flow. Remember that most business that go bankrupt have all of the following:

1. Product/service that people want

2. A decent set of customers

3. Reasonable profit

It's the "cash crunch" that ruins most small businesses -- not a lack of customers, or inability to sell the product or service, or lack of profit.

Planning ahead for upcoming expenditures, and not seeing every dollar in the bank account as a bonus crying out to be spent, will keep you in good shape.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Woah!

A lot of good advice there guys! Thank you all for taking the time to respond.