iPods and cameras to connect directly?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
"There are already plenty of MP3 players on the market, including Apple Computer's iPod Photo, that can show digital photos while playing music. But soon, we are likely to see music devices that can download and display pictures directly, without using a computer as a go-between." At least, that's what Gary Johnson, the CEO of PortalPlayer, has told CNet News.com. PortablePlayer makes the chip for the iPod and several other hard drive-based music players. Johnson did not specify whether it will be Apple's player that adopts the feature, but Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, previously stated that his company believes "music plus photos is the next 'big thing.'" Johnson said his company is also working to make it possible to connect music players to printers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    zigby.org

I am convinced. and If I repeat this often enough merril lynch will publish it!

Gonna happen.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The number of people who fill up their camera before they get back to their computer, AND who are unwilling/unable to buy a large enough flash chip for their camera, seems to be small.

The number of people who therefore need secondary portable storage "in between" the camera and the computer, and who carry no laptop or other suitable device, and who demand that this extra "in between" step have viewing ability because viewing on the camera and/or computer isn't enough, is also small.

That said, some people DO need it, and some who don't need it still WANT it. Hopefully Apple will offer them a more complete solution.

But don't some other photo-capable players already do this? Direct from camera, plus viewing? (Though I doubt they can browse instantly like the iPod Photo: that pre-processing of images as they load from computer to iPod is a real speed benefit.)

In my case, loading from camera to iPod would be needless extra complexity. I want my library in ONE place, my computer, synched to my iPod. Not scattered here and there, with my iPod getting photos from multiple sources. An iPod is a playback tool, not a media management tool or a camera accessory.

But it could become that, and maybe it should.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I always thought when the iPod photo was coming out that it would have allowed a direct connection via USB or Firewire to a digicam. I knew of a photographer or two that would backup onto an iPod with a Tibook or a media adapter as a go between during photo shoots. A solution like this would have kept the bulk down considerably. You could snap as many RAW images as you like with 20-60gb behind you. Editing always happens later anyway.

Granted the use wasn't typical everyday, but I feel that it completes the concept behind an iPod Photo and would be a welcome addition under it's wonderful interface.

Are there any major technical hurdles in using the iPod to backup photos or even video?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    bloody typical -- i can guarantee my first gen ipod photo will not support this feature (which would be perfect for me). ebay anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

bloody typical -- i can guarantee my first gen ipod photo will not support this feature (which would be perfect for me). ebay anyone?

You could of course have both. Your new iPod Photo Maxi (80GB) could store all your RAW image files from your camera, and your old iPod Photo could store all your music and your iPhoto thumbnail library for display and backup your hard drive and have 1000 notes and all your contacts.

This means that you have expandability in the future, for when you get the über-24 megapixel camera and you need 80GB to store all your fresh, unprocessed photographs (and 1000 more notes).

Of course this gets me thinking - I -already- have 30GB of music (and >2000 notes), maybe I should buy more than another 20GB (currently have 10GB) of iPod on which to store it so that in the future I can buy more, or go lossless or something.

(While 'need' isn't a word you would associate with me and my music, I certainly do have -some- legit cause to have all that music at fingertip access.)

Mendosi

(edit P.S. How many notes can the iPod Photo store? Or, for that matter, the Mini or Shuffle? I don't know what it would have cost them to expand the note capability of the iPods, but doing so would have made this so much more of a killer app.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

why did I get mine engraved!! - I think they should support old users with software, the hardware should be enough to persuade people to switch. I've owned three iPods, I'm faithful why not give me the benefits?! They usualyy update the software on an iPod at least once before saying buy a new one.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mendosi

Of course this gets me thinking - I -already- have 30GB of music (and >2000 notes)

I don't know what it would have cost them to expand the note capability of the iPods, but doing so would have made this so much more of a killer app.

Buaaa haaa haaa

*sniff*

But seriously, what's in your 2000+ notes? I'm fascinated.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Announced this morning: iPod Camera Connector

Press Release
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Announced this morning: iPod Camera Connector

Press Release

have no fear, *current* iPod Photo owners, apple has not left you out in the cold. it *should* be compatible with all current iPod Photos...!

REJOICE especially the dude that had his engraved, you will enjoy your iPod Photo for much more good times to come
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I wonder if anyone will hack in support for iPod non-photos...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Buaaa haaa haaa

*sniff*

But seriously, what's in your 2000+ notes? I'm fascinated.

If you don't have Mactracker for iPod, it can be handy sometimes (N.B. The latest version of Mactracker for Mac allows you to install onto an iPod directly from the programme, rather than downloading the iPod version from the net.)

Song lyrics are also good to have in the notes section.

If you're into reading books (Project Gutenberg) , you could get an applescript to divide a book up into 1KB sections and number them sequentially so that you could read some Shakespeare/whatever on the train on your iPod.

I think once upon a time I also had some genuine notes in there, too, but the above three cover my use of Notes.

Mendosi
  • Reply 12 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

have no fear, *current* iPod Photo owners, apple has not left you out in the cold. it *should* be compatible with all current iPod Photos...!

REJOICE especially the dude that had his engraved, you will enjoy your iPod Photo for much more good times to come

yup that's me, I did realise that. I did have an inkling as there was no new software realised the other day but also there's no difference between my iPod photo and the one in the new boxes.