Apple Store alters iMac availability

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well people can believe whatever they want, i'm just suggesting that no one hold his(or her) breath.

I can agree with that much. I'm not absolutely sure that the iMac will be updated; it's just that this is a trademark Apple procedure before a product update.

Also, I'd note that the iPod mini is seeing the same delays now - given that it also had "same business day" shipping, this is more than a little curious.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    One of the speculations, assuming of course that there actually will be an upgrade, is a minor speed bump, 1.6->1.8 and 1.8->2.0. If this does happen this denifitely has ramifications for the PM line and would indicate that it too will also receive a minor speed bump at the low and middle end, from 1.8->2.0 and 2.0->2.2. Has the delivery time for the PMs changed also?
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Maybe, maybe, too good to be true (?) in that, they (Apple) are trying so very hard to ship high numbers of Mac mini's and shuffles to the continental USA, that all else might be put on hold for a couple days? Then again, maybe not! I am sure they know what they are doing and we'll know a slight bit later. :-)
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Apple probably will update the iMacs since I just bought one.

as far as video cards in the current iMacs I disagree with all the crying about them. my imac performs great with the stock card. I get over 60 fps in itunes and FCE HD and other apps run great. STOP YOUR BLOOD CLOT CRYIN!!!

If you want wicked graphics get a PM G5 pro tower, not a consumer machine.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    I was in the mindset of waiting until June/July to get the iMac as I figured it wouldn't be changed until then.

This changes a lot if it gets freshened up soon, the question is now whether to get the rev. B or wait for an all-new one later this year
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by nabfa1

Maybe, maybe, too good to be true (?) in that, they (Apple) are trying so very hard to ship high numbers of Mac mini's and shuffles to the continental USA, that all else might be put on hold for a couple days? Then again, maybe not! I am sure they know what they are doing and we'll know a slight bit later. :-)

I dont know about that.The delay is worldwide anyway.There is a 3-5 day wait at the Apple Japan store and a 4 day wait at Apple France store.It looks like the ipod mini delay is indicating a new upgrade so probably new imacs are not that far off either.Apple has usually done a six month cycle-except for that disaster,the imac G4 with is year long non update cycle (which is what killed it in the market)-and last years delay in the powermac line caused by the switch to 90 nm G5's.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Amen, amen, amen, amen, amen...!

I also hope they fix the poor drive performance of the G5 iMac.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

now, that's indeed something i agree with.

it's a little sluggish.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

They're serial ATA 7200 rpm drives. What do you want?
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

They're serial ATA 7200 rpm drives. What do you want?

I guess they want 10,000 RPM.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    No they want a Serial ATA controller that actually works. There is a well know problem with the iMac G5 HD controller that causes it to have slower disk I/O performance than the powermac (with same drive) and even the emac (with an ATA100 controller). You can see this on the xbench site, emac's handily beating iMac G5 on Disk I/O performance - Apart from a few aberations emacs averaged about 135 on disk test, iMac G5 averaged about 105- quite a difference

This is the reason I wont buy one (that and no Firewire 800) Apple needs to do the basic things right before anything else (like proper FW controllers on the Powermac). I dont understand how they can invent this stuff (Firewire in this case) and still not get it right. This is the problem with rushing stuff to market (although thats not an excuse for the iMac G5 is it?)
  • Reply 32 of 61
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Wasn't the Chinese New Year just celebrated (Feb 9, or thereabouts)? Not sure if manufacturing lines would have slowed because of that and thus the total quantity in the channels reduced. Just a thought.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

No they want a Serial ATA controller that actually works. There is a well know problem with the iMac G5 HD controller that causes it to have slower disk I/O performance than the powermac (with same drive) and even the emac (with an ATA100 controller). You can see this on the xbench site, emac's handily beating iMac G5 on Disk I/O performance - Apart from a few aberations emacs averaged about 135 on disk test, iMac G5 averaged about 105- quite a difference *snip*

i see.. some sort of artefact from cramming a G5 into a 2-inch slab? or cost-cutting? or plain oversight?
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Wasn't the Chinese New Year just celebrated (Feb 9, or thereabouts)? Not sure if manufacturing lines would have slowed because of that and thus the total quantity in the channels reduced. Just a thought.

But wouldnt that affect everything across the board,not just selected products?
  • Reply 35 of 61
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cuneglasus

But wouldnt that affect everything across the board,not just selected products?

Some of Apple's products are manufactured in Taiwan I know (laptops, pretty sure), but which are manufactured where, I cannot recall off the top of my head.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i see.. some sort of artefact from cramming a G5 into a 2-inch slab? or cost-cutting? or plain oversight?

I think an apple engineer stated that it was hardware design issue that did not get fixed. Expect it to be fixed in Rev b.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

I think an apple engineer stated that it was hardware design issue that did not get fixed. Expect it to be fixed in Rev b.

yeah i just had a brief look at some xbench figures, it's just a pity that you have a SATA 7200 in there and not getting the most from it
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

It better be. Cant see how they missed it when they had so long to develop the Imac G5. Anyway, if it is fixed I might be tempted by a 20 inch 2Ghz model (or maybe I'll wait for dual-core....)
  • Reply 39 of 61
    512 MB RAM standard. GPU + CPU bump.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    yep, im with ya, better GPU and get the HD right and maybe 512Mb of RAM.

and im buying!

dont care bout the CPU speed, that is plenty fast, the supporting cast needs help though.

trout