Will Tiger feel faster?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Heya!

I recently purchased my first Mac, a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 ghZ.

I noticed resizing Windows in Panther is really slow, and the OS in general feels more sluggish than Windows (because it does more fancy things, I know).

Will my laptop benefit of Tiger? Isn't it already the case that all stuff in MacOS is rendered through the GPU?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Not exactly. Stuff is composited (mapped onto surfaces and layered) on the GPU, but a lot of actual rendering is still done on the CPU and passed on.

I can't comment on current performance and details, but I'll say that I think you'll like Tiger for several reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Okay cool:-)

With "not exactly", do you mean that my laptop won't benefit, or did you refer to the CPU/GPU stuff?
  • Reply 3 of 71
    In Tiger, much more will be done by the GPU - so yes, you should be happy with Tiger :3
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Yeeeha! I hope it won't be very expensive for 10.3 users then...
  • Reply 5 of 71
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    How much ram do you have now? I just got a 12" G4 iBook and nothing seems sluggish on it.

I have 1.25 gig ram though.

ERic
  • Reply 6 of 71
    I'm curious myself. Both of my Macs have 32mb R9200s, so I hope they will do well to accelerate these enhancements. Of course, price is always an issue determining if I buy.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i think Tiger will feel cold and plasticky
  • Reply 8 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Tiger will be as fast as the marketing hype behind it.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

i think Tiger will feel cold and plasticky

With a slight whiff of rubber coating here and there ;-)
  • Reply 10 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Are you guys talking about the Tiger box or your tigy bath toys?
  • Reply 11 of 71
    Quote:

How much ram do you have now? I just got a 12" G4 iBook and nothing seems sluggish on it.

I don't think resizing a Window will be any faster on a Powerbook equipped with 1.5 GB RAM. I think it's more CPU/GPU work for the computer, not RAM.

I just think resizing windows on MacOS is very slow, too slow. Moving Windows on the other hand goes very smooth.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

I don't think resizing a Window will be any faster on a Powerbook equipped with 1.5 GB RAM. I think it's more CPU/GPU work for the computer, not RAM.

I just think resizing windows on MacOS is very slow, too slow. Moving Windows on the other hand goes very smooth.

But in Tiger window resizing seems to be faster. It's not as smooth as moving a window but it's seems faster than Panther. Maybe in benefit from Core Image.

8A369 has still some display bug (content of window can appear black sometimes) which tends to demonstrate than GUI rendering has been alter (and hopefully optimized).
  • Reply 13 of 71
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Currently when you resize a window the entire content is redrawn. Based on the available information on Tiger (could not find the link) this is changed. Only the portion which needs redraw will be refreshed. This most likely will improve performance on this particular action.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Interesting. I could see how this method of resizing windows could offer a slight speed boost.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    nice. can't wait for Tiger.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shadow

Currently when you resize a window the entire content is redrawn. Based on the available information on Tiger (could not find the link) this is changed. Only the portion which needs redraw will be refreshed. This most likely will improve performance on this particular action.

Holy shit!

If they finally got around to implementing this, then dirty region calculations might actually be put to use. It took me forever to figure out that the API was there but the dirty region info was simply being discarded.

Have they finally fixed the dirty region redraw mechanism in cocoa? That, even without CI, would make a huge difference in speed.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    God... I hate going the sophmoric route, but...

hehehe... You said "Dirty Region"... heheh

• Reply 18 of 71
    I have the same computer as the original poster. I'm also hoping to have things feel speedier in Tiger. Actually, now that I'm all setup with my new Powerbook and cinema display, the operating system is the next big thing for me. I can't wait until Tiger!
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I'm also hoping to have things feel speedier in Tiger.

Apple has switched to GCC 4.0 for Tiger. That alone should speed things up. (It generates faster code).
  • Reply 20 of 71
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The short answer is - it depends on your GPU.

Panther has Quartz Extreme - this is only to speed up COMPOSITING of the graphics, not the drawing. This requires any RADEON or gForceMX or better.

Tiger has a new thing called Core Image, but this is mainly for effects like Photoshop does, i.e. making little programs for the GPU. Core Video is just the same things applied to video.

Now, the really important thing for USERS is Quartz 2-D Extreme. THIS is the feature that sends almost all of the 2-D drawing straight to the GPU using the OpenGL features. This is what speeds up the window resizing. And I have to say I heard a rumor, if you know what I mean, that window resizing on Tiger is finally superfast.

The problem is that Quartz 2-D Extreme requires better GPUs than Quartz Extreme - it will require either a ATI 9600 Pro or better, or an nVidia 5200 go or better. The 9200 in the Mac mini and the 12" PB won't be able to dump those calculations on the GPU and will use Altivec.