When do you think we'll see this available? (Agressive Apple)

dcqdcq
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
No. I'm not talking about an 100GB Bluetooth 2.0 iPod that takes photos, movies, and is a cell phone for $299. Nor am I talking about a Mac mini with a BTO graphics card, a 200GB 7200rpm HDD, and a G5 for $399.

I am just a poor a$$ school teacher who wants the following. When do you think I can buy them all?

- 60GB iPod with color display for - $399

- 15" G5 powerbook (hopefully rev B) running at 2+GHz with 256MB VRAM - $2299

- iBook 14" 1.67 MHz 64MB VRAM (wishing for 128 ) - $1399

- Mac mini 1.67 MHz 64 MB VRAM (wishing for 128 ) - $499

- 20" Cinema Display - $799

(I'm using regular prices here, not edu.)

Summer?

Fall?

Spring 06?

When Satan goes ice skating?

Realistic? What I'm really hoping for is that there's some kind of shift at Apple (it already seems like it's starting) in which they really go for broke to expand marketshare and are willing/able to lower prices and increase specs aggressively. Of course, in three years none of these will be a problem. But how soon Apple is able to do this is a reflection of how agressive Apple is willing to be, how much they are willing to risk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't know sh*t from shine'ola about Apples internal goings on, but I think that they believe they have addressed the inexpensive Mac with the Mac Mini. And that is the end of story on their part.

[edit] Oops my bad. I misunderstood your question. I thought these were new products with a lower pricing scheme.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Hmmmm let's see.

60GB iPod-

Within 12 months for sure.

15" Powerbook 2GHz+ 256MB VRAM-

About 12 months. I don't think you'll see 256MB of memory though. Storing textures is nice but overall speed probably give more bang for the buck.

Mac Mini-

I see the Mac mini moving to freescale G4s hopefully with ondie memory controllers and maybe the new replacement for cardbus.

20" CD-

Probably not for another year.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I don't know sh*t from shine'ola about Apples internal goings on, but I think that they believe they have addressed the inexpensive Mac with the Mac Mini. And that is the end of story on their part.

So Spring 06?

The stuff I proposed isn't unreasonable, and will come sooner or later. I'm just hoping sooner.

Do you really think the mini is the end? If it's wildly successful, won't someone at Apple notice? Anyone got preliminary sales figs? Or just wilda$$ speculation (the stuff we're good at here)?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hmmmm let's see.

Within 12 months for sure.

About 12 months. I don't think you'll see 256MB of memory though. Storing textures is nice but overall speed probably give more bang for the buck.

Probably not for another year.

Ugh. Ok, two votes for trying to eke out another year from our trusty ol' (and increasingly less-aptly named) Quicksilver...and keeping Apple poorer until FY06.

Anyone wanna throw me a bone, keep my hopes alive?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

[i]

Anyone wanna throw me a bone, keep my hopes alive? [/B]

If you take the money you have now to buy the equipment put it into apple stock, and if apple stays on the roll it is. You could get that equipment with money to spare..

...or you could get the bone if it doesn't

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

- 60GB iPod with color display for - $399

right now the 30GB iPod photo with EDU discount is a steal @ $319.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

right now the 30GB iPod photo with EDU discount is a steal @ $319.

No, it would be a steal if the campus bookstore left the display case open.

Mr. ipodandimac why are you continuously late with your Student loan payments, ?Sorry Apple keeps releasing new iPods, oooh now with 6gb?.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    You want all that stuff, both a PB and an iBook? Poor a$$ teachers usually use 350MHz CRT iMacs, not PowerBooks and Cinema Displays...

Flat panels are slowly coming down, and IBM will eventually deliver some faster parts, we assume (or does IBM stand for I've Been Moto'd?).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

Anyone wanna throw me a bone, keep my hopes alive?

The models you list are generally the popular ones. The better they sell, the less incentive Apple has to lower the price.

The possible exception is the 60GB iPod, which sold poorly at its old (high) price, and is unproven at $449.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

You want all that stuff, both a PB and an iBook? Poor a$$ teachers usually use 350MHz CRT iMacs, not PowerBooks and Cinema Displays...

Flat panels are slowly coming down, and IBM will eventually deliver some faster parts, we assume (or does IBM stand for I've Been Moto'd?).

Not all of it. It's a choice between the mini+20" or the iBook. If you must know (ackhem), the powerbook is for my wife (a scientist who works for the CDC). The iBook/mini choice is for me. This poor a$$ teacher would still be using his 400 MHz CRT iMac, if it hadn't died abruptly (and taken 2 years of lessons with it). So now I share the PowerMac with my wife. The iPod is kinda just because I want one, but I can justify it because I can keep all my music (about 22 GB) plus all the stories in the textbook ripped from CD on it (probably another 5-7GB all told), plus images (authors, shakespeare, the Globe, the greek gods, etc.).

So there.

I know we'll eventually get it all at that price point, and I agree with hmurch that it'll probably be next spring. But I was just hoping for sooner rather than later. (And actually, the new $449 iPod photo is coming close, and does give me a bit of hope. A $150 25% price drop is quite unusual for Apple.)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Hmm. For some reason, you picked specs that are perfectly reasonable, but a generation or two (a year or so) away. I wonder if you'll write a similar "wish list" next year with similar year-from-then specs.

To put this in perspective, think back to a year ago, and imagine what your wish list might have been then:

- 12" 1.2 Ghz G4 iBook with included Airport card and Combo drive for $899 academic

- color-screen 30 GB iPod for $319 academic

- headless G4 iMac at 1.25 GHz with Combo drive for under $500

...and you would have been laughed off these boards.

If you really want any of these items, now is a perfect time to buy. All are simply fantastic, historic (for Apple) deals. LCDs are their own story, with a broader market affecting their price. And the Powerbook G5... well, a year ago, we all figured they'd be here within a year for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Hmm. For some reason, you picked specs that are perfectly reasonable, but a generation or two (a year or so) away. I wonder if you'll write a similar "wish list" next year with similar year-from-then specs.

It may seem like that, but these are actually my requirements. I wouldn't get anything lower than a 60GB iPod because of my space requirements(~30GB for audio, 5-10GB for photos, plus space for backing up documents). A G5 is my wife's requirement (although the "high" VRAM is mine...I like gaming even though I'm not a fanatic). For the iBook or mini, I wanted a 1.67 G4 because I think that's about as high as they'll go (and if I'm going to get a chip at the end of its life cycle, I want the best one). And the 64MB VRAM is for Core Image/Video compliance. The lower price on the 20" display is because if I'm giving up the portability of the iBook, I don't want to spend more money...and a grand is frankly high for a 20" lcd today.