iTunes messed up

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There are some serious bugs in iTunes - I think that they must use global memory or disk storage for some of the things in iTunes.

The bugs show up when you have multiple users logged in using iTunes, and you switch back and forth between the users. Here are examples of the things that happen:

- iTunes playing a song, switch users, start iTunes, crash

- iTunes up in multiple user views, all with "on CD insert, import and eject", insert CD, and the song burns into a random background user's iTunes instead of the foreground iTunes.

- iTunes up, switch users, open iTunes (with no songs in library) - all the first user's songs show up greyed out. quit iTunes and re-open, and they are gone.

Nobody must have tested the interactions between user switching and iTunes, it works like crap. There are problems more than half the time when you try stuff like this.

How do I report bugs like this to Apple? I couldn't find any Bugzilla-like place on the apple support page.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 9
    Working fine here /shrug
  • Reply 3 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

There are some serious bugs in iTunes - I think that they must use global memory or disk storage for some of the things in iTunes.

The bugs show up when you have multiple users logged in using iTunes, and you switch back and forth between the users. Here are examples of the things that happen:

- iTunes playing a song, switch users, start iTunes, crash

- iTunes up in multiple user views, all with "on CD insert, import and eject", insert CD, and the song burns into a random background user's iTunes instead of the foreground iTunes.

- iTunes up, switch users, open iTunes (with no songs in library) - all the first user's songs show up greyed out. quit iTunes and re-open, and they are gone.

Nobody must have tested the interactions between user switching and iTunes, it works like crap. There are problems more than half the time when you try stuff like this.

How do I report bugs like this to Apple? I couldn't find any Bugzilla-like place on the apple support page.

Well your settings aren't really suitable for multiple users. If you had greyed out music iTunes is probably set to find music automatically which probably wont work due to file permissions. Also if you have iTunes open in multiple places you should turn off automatically importing music and do it manually. I can understand what you're saying but you're not helping yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

The bugs show up when you have multiple users logged in using iTunes...

FWIW, I have seen similar symptoms as well. Though I can't imagine it being a problem to report.

We pretty much live on iTunes, iPod, and MPFreaker (for breakfast:-) and with five of us sharing the network, we notice when there are problems popping up with iTunes (though it's usually mine--the hyper geeks seem to have no problems). grrr.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

FWIW, I have seen similar symptoms as well. Though I can't imagine it being a problem to report.

So you would rather live with the problems forever rather than report them and get them fixed? I reported the problem, because I am tired of finding barbie music on my iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

So you would rather live with the problems forever rather than report them and get them fixed? I reported the problem, because I am tired of finding barbie music on my iPod.

No, no. Not at all. I only meant that I've never had any problem reporting to apple. They hear from me, ergh, a lot. Don't get me started with Mail.

Anyhow, a little Barbie music is good for the soul:-)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

No, no. Not at all. I only meant that I've never had any problem reporting to apple. They hear from me, ergh, a lot. Don't get me started with Mail.

Anyhow, a little Barbie music is good for the soul
  • Reply 8 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Well your settings aren't really suitable for multiple users. If you had greyed out music iTunes is probably set to find music automatically which probably wont work due to file permissions. Also if you have iTunes open in multiple places you should turn off automatically importing music and do it manually. I can understand what you're saying but you're not helping yourself.

The Auto import is vital when you have hundreds of CDs to import, which I have. I think that it should just work.

I will turn off "auto find", though.

(and hopfully barbie music is good for the soul, because I have all the songs memorised...)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

The Auto import is vital when you have hundreds of CDs to import, which I have. I think that it should just work.

I will turn off "auto find", though.

(and hopfully barbie music is good for the soul, because I have all the songs memorised...)

surely you can see the problems though. If iTunes is open in lots of places, which one imports the music? I'd recommend either closing other areas and leaving the option on until you've finished you're CD importing, or leave other areas open and do it manually.