best back-up software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
do you use something like Retrospect to back you info up or do you just drag everything maunally?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    RsyncX. Industrial strength mirroring/archiving/incremental, and it's free.

The number of options can be utterly confusing however, and the GUI front end isn't really what I'd call well designed, but it still is easier to figure out and use than Retrospect.

Retrospect used to be the one to get, but now? POS, if you ask me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

do you use something like Retrospect to back you info up or do you just drag everything maunally?

Been using Restrospect.

Colol thing you get 2 network clients with the Desktop version, so you can backup 3 machines, the "server" and 2 networked clients ...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Unless you're running MacOS X Server, then Dantz decides that even though it's just one machine, and even though it has no difference from the client OS except some added services, that they're going to charge you $500 for it.

No, really. The Desktop $99 version WILL NOT RUN on Server, for absolutely no good reason other than Dantz being greedy bastiches. Add in their horrendous support that I ran into a few years ago, and I see no reason to add to their coffers.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Unless you're running MacOS X Server, then Dantz decides that even though it's just one machine, and even though it has no difference from the client OS except some added services, that they're going to charge you $500 for it.

No, really. The Desktop $99 version WILL NOT RUN on Server, for absolutely no good reason other than Dantz being greedy bastiches. Add in their horrendous support that I ran into a few years ago, and I see no reason to add to their coffers.

YMMV Dantz works exceptionally ell for me ... and did you note that I wrote "server" and not Mac OS X Server ...