iPod Photo Transitions, etc.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When viewing photos with an iPod Photo, are there transitions between photosgraphs? And if so, are they user-selectable? How "smooth" does the viewing of photographs look overall?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    i'm not totally sure, but apple will be updating ipod photo software in march and will include new transitions (its on the ipod photo spec page).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

When viewing photos with an iPod Photo, are there transitions between photosgraphs? And if so, are they user-selectable? How "smooth" does the viewing of photographs look overall?

There is only one transition, which is a "slide" from right to left: imagine your current picture, then a "virtual" vertical line appears on the right, moves to the left, while on the right hand side of that moving line your new picture appears. The "edge" of that line is blurry.

As ipodandimac said in his previous post, new iPod photo software with additional new transistions is expected for March.

The viewing of photographs is fine - both on the built-in screen, and much nicer on a big TV (or data projector).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks for the information!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

Thanks for the information!

That's true, when the slide shows work. My iPod photo doesn't work with my tv.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    according to apple's website, the updated software in march will bring new photo transitions, as well as compatibility with their photo dock connector. they do not, however, say what those transitions will be.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That's true, when the slide shows work. My iPod photo doesn't work with my tv.

I must admit I was baffled when I read this. Doesn't work with your TV?

Question: have you set your iPhoto Slideshow Settings correctly?

In "TV Out", choose "On". In "TV Signal", choose "PAL" or "NTSC", depending on your TV (US is NTSC, Europe is PAL - not sure about the rest of the world). Also, use the Apple AV-cable that came with your iPod. We have an older iBook (Dual USB 2001) at home, and it has a similar AV-cable (same plugs on both ends), but it doesn't work with the iPod photo? (I admit that I am a bit cross about Apple and this: why CAN'T they use the same cable???).

HTH.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Dvorak

I must admit I was baffled when I read this. Doesn't work with your TV?

Question: have you set your iPhoto Slideshow Settings correctly?

In "TV Out", choose "On". In "TV Signal", choose "PAL" or "NTSC", depending on your TV (US is NTSC, Europe is PAL - not sure about the rest of the world). Also, use the Apple AV-cable that came with your iPod. We have an older iBook (Dual USB 2001) at home, and it has a similar AV-cable (same plugs on both ends), but it doesn't work with the iPod photo? (I admit that I am a bit cross about Apple and this: why CAN'T they use the same cable???).

HTH.

well let me re-phrase. It works sometimes. When i plug my iPod in (always correct settings) it doesn't work at first BUT when it does I have to go forward a slide and then back to the previous slide to make it appear. So i want to show slide 2 i go to slide 3 and then back to slide 2 and it will appear - and this is only sometimes! It's awful. And as well as this if it has just been synched it will not sleep. To get it to sleep I have to play a song for a few seconds and then it may sleep. I think I might phone Apple actually.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

well let me re-phrase. It works sometimes. When i plug my iPod in (always correct settings) it doesn't work at first BUT when it does I have to go forward a slide and then back to the previous slide to make it appear. So i want to show slide 2 i go to slide 3 and then back to slide 2 and it will appear - and this is only sometimes! It's awful. And as well as this if it has just been synched it will not sleep. To get it to sleep I have to play a song for a few seconds and then it may sleep. I think I might phone Apple actually.

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind after reading this is to return the iPod photo - sorry, Apple, your product doesn't work as it should. But maybe there are a couple of things to try first?

One would be to do a "restart". A few days ago my iPod photo suddenly refused to go to sleep (or being switched off - I'm not sure what terminology on is supposed to use?), so I quickly resorted to a "restart" (press "Menu" and "Enter" simultanously, and hold it for a few seconds) - after which it worked fine again.

Another route I'd try is to see whether is has something to do with the TV and/or the AV-cable. So, this leads us to: try to get (borrow?) another AV-cable and see whether the problem persists - also try this on another TV. If all is negative, return the gadget to Apple? at least that's what I would do.

HTH.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Dvorak

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind after reading this is to return the iPod photo - sorry, Apple, your product doesn't work as it should. But maybe there are a couple of things to try first?

One would be to do a "restart". A few days ago my iPod photo suddenly refused to go to sleep (or being switched off - I'm not sure what terminology on is supposed to use?), so I quickly resorted to a "restart" (press "Menu" and "Enter" simultanously, and hold it for a few seconds) - after which it worked fine again.

Another route I'd try is to see whether is has something to do with the TV and/or the AV-cable. So, this leads us to: try to get (borrow?) another AV-cable and see whether the problem persists - also try this on another TV. If all is negative, return the gadget to Apple? at least that's what I would do.

HTH.

I've tried it on two tvs and I've tried the S-video cable that came with my PowerBook. I assumed it was software or normal - I should've taken it back ages ago. Now I'm worried they'll think I'm making it up to get a new iPod photo - luckily there's no difference.