Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is so stressing me out.

Couple of things to cover:

-iMac G3 500, 10.3.8, software totally up-to-date

- iTunes 4.7.1

- old 3rd gen 30GB iPod. V2.2

- replacement or "new" 3rd gen 30GB iPod, V2.2

- only connect iPod via firewire cord (not dock, no daisy chain)

Four months ago, my old 30GB iPod started to die (battery) and I knew I'd be replacing it soon. Right around iTunes 4.7.1, all hell broke loose.

The old iPod:

- wouldn't mount all the time

- when it did mount, the activity monitor showed that both iTunes and Finder froze - this happen 85% of the time. I had to reset the iPod to release it.

- the iPod would mount on my desktop similar to a DMG file that's "unpacked".) That sort of white boxy icon. I could never get that boxy icon to dismount. Force quiting iTunes and Finder did nothing.

To fix the issue with old 30GB iPod, I:

- repaired permissions on iMac, checked iMac hard drive with disk utility

- threw out all my preferences for iPod, iTunes, Finder

- Onyx'd the iMac

- started up a new account and attached iPod

- used disk utility to repair the iPod (always had an error)

- used iPod updater to format the iPod (3x)

- tried using the other firewire port

Nothing worked - issues stayed the same.

I called Apple and paid to have the battery replaced. They just shipped me a sparkling, brand new, *virgin* 3rd generation, 30GB iPod.

I know I have to fully charge the battery before using the iPod updater, moving music, etc., so I attached the replacement iPod using the firewire cord: it mounted, appeared as that white boxy icon and iTunes launched.

Fortunately I was easily able to quit iTunes and dismount the iPod.

So now I have a couple of hours before the replacement iPod is fully charged and I can start using it. I'm terrified that I may damage it if it goes back to freezing the Finder and iTunes.

My first step is going to be using the iPod updater for bring the replacement up to V2.3. I'll go from there. I have a 90 day warranty from Apple, so I may end up calling them as well.

1) Does the fact that the iPod appears as that strange icon mean anything?

2) Could my firewire cord be causing these issues?

3) Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    my daughter has my 5GB 1st gen iPod. and its behavior was similar to what you have described. I figured out that it was the firewire connector at the ipod fouling up and causing the finder and itunes to freeze. So maybe there was a problem with your cable connetor on the ipod and they sent you a new one instead of fscking around with the other parts.

maybe your new one will be ok. give it a go and if its fuxored, it might be that its your macs software, or maybe your firewire port is whack.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Hmmm. I was wondering about the firewire cord. It's not got any signs of damage, but it could be the cause.

I've got an external firewire drive and it works off of both ports. I don't know if that fact rules out the two ports on my iMac, but ......

Is there anyway of testing the cord (other than buying a new one?)

Thanks for the help. Anyone else agree it's the cord? or something else?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    When 10.3.7 was out, my iPod mini triggered a slight delay when mounting / unmounting. In fact, CDs exhibited this behavior too, so I doubt its iPod specific. 10.3.8 resolved it for me.

2x2Ghz G5, connecting the mini via firewire dock.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    what i meant was the connecter on the ipod being fuxored. Not so much the cord itself.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Found a solution. Solved everything in 15 minutes.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61937