bit torrent for macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i heard a lot about these but as we use macs does that work for the macs or does it download ok, could some one name some software, by the way i am only downloaded copywrite free stuff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    www.versiontracker.com is where you want to go to search for software.

Careful it doesn't bugger your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I like Tomato Torrent.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    yeah thanks for that
  • Reply 4 of 23
    If you're connected via a router that you can configure, make sure that you use port forwarding to open up your connection for Bittorrent. Search google to come up with the specific range. You'll find that your download performance will be much better.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I actually prefer the official BitTorrent for OS X over Tomato Torrent. But it's easy enough to try 'em both.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I used to have a terrible time with Azureus and Kernel Panics, but that seemed to stop after the last Java update. It has tons of features if you need them. If you don't, the official bittorrent client saves a bunch of window space, and Tomato Torrent squeezes a little extra bit out of screen real estate.

Heh, They are in order of my recommendation too.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    i love Bittorrent! i use the official client, but i'm gonna try azureus when i get home.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by netbanshee

If you're connected via a router that you can configure, make sure that you use port forwarding to open up your connection for Bittorrent. Search google to come up with the specific range. You'll find that your download performance will be much better.

6881 - 6889

[edit]

You can set any range, just set the range on your router and in your bit torrent program.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by netbanshee

Azureus supports uPnP, so if your router supports it (I have a D-Link) it will do it automatically for you.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    ... and also if you're on a local network you might have to turn off the default uPnP setting. The error messages bugged me for a long time before I realized there was a feature like that and it was on by default.

Reasonably happy Azureus user here. After I turned uPnP off I haven't seen any need to go try other clients.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Sometimes I use the official BitTorrent client, sometimes Tomato Torrent. It's surprising to me how often a .torrent file won't work under one program, but another. So I use both when it is necessary.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I use Tomato Torrent as it has a nice interface. I did use Azureus at first but that was the only program ever to repeatedly kernel panic my Mac. I think there is an issue with DP Power Macs which they are working on.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

I use Tomato Torrent as it has a nice interface. I did use Azureus at first but that was the only program ever to repeatedly kernel panic my Mac. I think there is an issue with DP Power Macs which they are working on.

Used to do that to me too. After 10.3.5 or 10.3.6 they disappeared. I guess Apple fixed whatever was causing the panic in their Java implementation.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Used to do that to me too. After 10.3.5 or 10.3.6 they disappeared. I guess Apple fixed whatever was causing the panic in their Java implementation.

The latest version of Azureus fixes the kernal panic bug. Apple has not yet fixed the problem. It was just randomly exploited. Sometimes you couldn't go minutes without crashing and sometimes you could go days. Once Azureus implemented the bug fix it hasn't crashed on me. It's hands down the best torrent app I've used.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Reopening this thread for updates...

I'm new to BitTorrent and wonder what client would be the best for a DP PowerMac G5? Azureus is the one etree.org recommends, but I keep reading that it has issues. Is the official BitTorrent client better than Tomato Torrent?

Does everyone use xACT for converting and playing flac, shn, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm still using Azureus and nothing else.

No systemwide crashes at all, ever. Azureus itself has hiccuped a bit when shutting down, often taking an unreasonably long time to shut down, even to the point I have force quit it when I didn't want to wait longer. That said, mostly it shuts down without trouble, and how often do you really need to boot the machine or otherwise shut Azureus down? Startup is just a tad slow, too.

I've always upgraded as soon as a new version was available.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oceansize

Reopening this thread for updates...

I'm new to BitTorrent and wonder what client would be the best for a DP PowerMac G5? Azureus is the one etree.org recommends, but I keep reading that it has issues. Is the official BitTorrent client better than Tomato Torrent?

Does everyone use xACT for converting and playing flac, shn, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

I use xACT for conversion and it works for me problem free.

I use the official client and have no problems whatsoever. It seems that Azureus does offer more options though.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Although having a little rough gui (to be improved in future versions), Bits on Wheels (http://www.bitsonwheels.com/) is pretty nice. It's animated torrent view is pretty cool.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by livings124

Although having a little rough gui (to be improved in future versions), Bits on Wheels (http://www.bitsonwheels.com/) is pretty nice. It's animated torrent view is pretty cool.

that. is actually. pretty damn cool

Wish there would just be a pref for default download directory instead of choosing each time for each torrent.

Otherwise, so far so great!