30 GB iPod Photo:Piontless?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I think Apple should have just introed a 60GB model at $499. I'm not much of a fan of the iPod Photo idea, it seems pretty piontless to me. Why would anyone want to veiw pics on their MP3 Player? Why not wait until you can video on it as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    If the iPod photo idea seems pointless to you, the the 60Gb model would be pointless as well .

Joking aside, I think the main purpose of the photo part is to enable you to carry your pictures around as well as your music, all on one device, and be able to show them to other people on a TV. I agree that viewing them on a 2" screen isn't optimal though .
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

Why would anyone want to veiw pics on their MP3 Player? Why not wait until you can video on it as well?

I bought an iPod photo 40 GB for myself for Christmas, and I love it! Actually, the introduction of the iPod photo last October was the kick that got me to get an iPod (actually, I wanted more than "just music").

Firstly, I don't consider the iPod "just" an MP3 Player. It's a "Pod", holding anything digital...

Secondly, the colour display is gorgeous. Coming with this is the ability to view cover art on your display. Wonderful too...

I have a couple of complaints about the current iPod photo models (and I do hope they'll address these in a future firmware update).

- display short QT clips (the definition of "short" is debatable, though; let's say we're not talking a feature movie here); I am not sure though if the current hardware could handle this

- display just the cover art of the song, maximum size on the iPod's display, and nothing else. This should be an option to select

- besides, there are numerous "little things" (like no Unicode characters - Czech in my case - in the smaller font in Contacts and Calendars) that I hope they'll address soon

So, taking your argument ("wait until video"), I don't think that "no video" is such a strong turn off to negate all the other additional things the iPod photo has (compared to "classic" iPods). Yes, if it could do video, it would be even better - let's hope they introduce that soon!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

I think Apple should have just introed a 60GB model at $499. I'm not much of a fan of the iPod Photo idea, it seems pretty piontless to me. Why would anyone want to veiw pics on their MP3 Player? Why not wait until you can video on it as well?

i have a rather large photo collection, and when i get to see my friends, it's nice to show them recent pics or pics from the last time we hung out. ipods with video playback of my digicam movies is fine, like from my cybershot, but i think the whole "movie store" and watching actual movies is ridiculous.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Dvorak

- display short QT clips (the definition of "short" is debatable, though; let's say we're not talking a feature movie here); I am not sure though if the current hardware could handle this

Accually, it would be better if the iPod photo was able to show the motion JPEG movies that most cameras are able to capture. Except on "special occations", I find that my DV camera isn't with me when I want to film something, but my PowerShot A95 usualy are. So lately I have gotten a large number of movies captured with my digital still camera.

And.. since these now go in iPhoto 5's library, it should be able to be viewed in an iPod photo...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Interesting view, however I don't think the 30 gig photo is pointless, I think the 20 gig regular iPod is. For $50 more you get 10 more gigs and the included functionality of holding and showing photos. While some might say this is pointless, for $50 more I think it is worth it just for the sake of having it.

I am the proud owner of a 1G mini. Many would say, why didn't you spring for the 20 gig regular iPod? My explaination is that I don't have and don't think I will ever need to have or even have more than 1000 songs, not to mention I love the form factor of the mini.

However the regular iPod and the photo are the same design and with the extra functionality I think Apple should cut out the regular iPod and make the photo the standard model.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Accually, it would be better if the iPod photo was able to show the motion JPEG movies that most cameras are able to capture. Except on "special occations", I find that my DV camera isn't with me when I want to film something, but my PowerShot A95 usualy are. So lately I have gotten a large number of movies captured with my digital still camera.

And.. since these now go in iPhoto 5's library, it should be able to be viewed in an iPod photo...

iPhoto wont play them though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

iPhoto wont play them though.

So what happens when you double click them ? Does it open up quicktime to play the movies ?

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

So what happens when you double click them ? Does it open up quicktime to play the movies ?

yup - exactly right. If you watch the MWSF demo you'll see Jobs opening in QuickTime. I was sure I remembered him playing them in iPhoto. At least iPhoto organises them.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

yup - exactly right. If you watch the MWSF demo you'll see Jobs opening in QuickTime. I was sure I remembered him playing them in iPhoto. At least iPhoto organises them.

I installed iPhoto 5 last week and I must say I was disappointed to learn that iPhoto 5 won't play your QT clips in a slideshow (but, as MacCrazy pointed out, it does keep them in your album).

I wonder whether this is Apple's "policy": iPod photo can sync with iPhoto (and play iPhoto slideshows), but iPod photo won't play QT clips, so iPhoto won't play QT clips either?

Quote:

Accually, it would be better if the iPod photo was able to show the motion JPEG movies that most cameras are able to capture.

Agreed on that. But think back to iPod+iTunes+iTMS: they have quite a selection of video clips (I mean the things they show on MTV). Why not have those on the iPod, too?

But it would be a good start if the iPod photo would be able to show those camera-generated QT clips - but seeing that iPhoto is only half way there makes me a bit sceptical.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Dvorak

Agreed on that. But think back to iPod+iTunes+iTMS: they have quite a selection of video clips (I mean the things they show on MTV). Why not have those on the iPod, too?

But it would be a good start if the iPod photo would be able to show those camera-generated QT clips - but seeing that iPhoto is only half way there makes me a bit sceptical.

Maybe we need to wait for iVideo!! QuickTime is the one part of iLife that doesn't seem integrated. I mean it;s used by all the apps but there's no way of organising video clips - that aren't made on your camera. Also I only put photos in iPhoto not pictures. I would like to see support for iPod photo for iPhoto and a folder. Not going to happen though.