Apple secures lease for third Manhattan retail store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has recently secured a lease for its third Manhattan-based retail store, AppleInsider has learned.

The store will join two other Apple retail stores on the island. The company operates a 21,000-square-foot in the city's SoHo district, and will soon begin renovation and construction efforts on a similar-sized location in the underground concourse of the GM building, located just feet from the southern tip of Central Park.

Unlike the aforementioned flagship locations, sources said the latest Apple store lease is for a 2000-square-foot space -- about a tenth of the size of its SoHo store. It will touch down approximately halfway between the GM and SoHo locations, but a precise street location has not been confirmed.

Apple-authored documents appear to be listing this third retail store as "NYC-Flatiron," which would indicate a location near the Flatiron building at 23rd and Broadway.

An internal company scouting list of 600 potential US-based Apple Store locations corroborates these latest findings. According to the document, Apple's first wave of NYC-based retail stores called for 3 locations, which were ranked with priority indicators.

A 5th Ave. Midtown location (presumably the GM building) was listed with the highest priority. The SoHo store, prior to its inception, was listed with a priority of '2,' while the third and final "Flatiron" location was denoted a priority of '3.' The document lists the desired location of the Flatiron store at "22nd and Broadway."

Representatives for the Futterman Organization, the real estate firm responsible for handling all three of Apple's Manhattan-based leases, declined comment on the latest lease acquisition, citing confidentiality agreements with its clients.

As recently as last Thursday, Apple chief executive, Steve Jobs, was spotted roaming the streets of Manhattan and making a surprise visit to the company's SoHo store. Jobs may have also been in the area to check out the site of the Flatiron store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    A look at Apple's "Search Jobs" web page shows not only the Flatiron location as previously revealed by ifoAppleStore, but also two other new locations. Those being the Eastview mall in Victor, New York (a suburb of Rochester) and the Annapolis mall in Annapolis, Maryland.

These listings bring to 27 the number of new locations confirmed by Apple's own website. They are the following:

1 - South Shore Plaza - Braintree, Massachusetts

2 - Century City - Los Angeles, California

3 - Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida

4 - St. John's Town Center - Jacksonville, Florida

5 - Pioneer Place - Portland, Oregon

6 - The Gardens at Palm Beach - Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

7 - La Cantera - San Antonio, Texas

8 - Green Hills - Nashville, Tennessee

9 - Woodland - Grand Rapids, Michigan

10 - The Woodlands - Houston, Texas

11 - Gateway Mall - Salt Lake City, Utah

12 - Yorkdale - Toronto, Canada

13 - Bluewater - Kent, England

14 - Bullring - Birmingham, England

15 - Crabtree Valley - Raleigh, North Carolina

16 - Bridgeport Village - Tualatin, Oregon

17 - Manhattan Village - Manhattan Beach, California

18 - Penn Square - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

19 - Pentagon City - Arlington, Virginia

20 - Garden State Plaza - Paramus, New Jersey

21 - Northbrook Court - Northbrook, Illinois

22 - Florida Mall - Orlando, Florida

23 - Beverly Center - Los Angeles, California

24 - Shibuya - Tokyo, Japan

25 - Flatiron Building - New York City, New York

26 - Eastview Mall - Victor, New York

27 - Annapolis Mall - Annapolis, Maryland
  • Reply 2 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    oh God 3 in town!!!!!!

---hard to breathe

<faints>

• Reply 3 of 18
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Nice, Garden State Plaza's getting one. That's a really nice mall.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    28 - Jefferson Pointe - Fort Wayne, Indiana

I wish.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    So is this 5th Avenue Apple Store going to be beside the FAO Schwartz?

Expensive toys for adults and children, a perfect match!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    PLEASE tell me that the list of 600 has Louisville, Kentucky on it? And that it's at least a priority 2?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by boarderx

PLEASE tell me that the list of 600 has Louisville, Kentucky on it? And that it's at least a priority 2?

Affirmative SirX, affirmative. And as a city starting with a even numbered letter it has precisely a 6.25% better chance than Akron.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by robo

So is this 5th Avenue Apple Store going to be beside the FAO Schwartz?

Expensive toys for adults and children, a perfect match!

yup. see the elegant midtown manhattan thread for pics of the space...

• Reply 9 of 18
    I've got mine at the cherry creek mall! Whoever's the interior designer is a genius.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple-authored documents appear to be listing this third retail store as "NYC-Flatiron," which would indicate a location near the Flatiron building at 23rd and Broadway.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Yikes, what is that, like 3 blocks from Tekserve?

http://www.tekserve.com/

Tekserve is a NYC institution. Not sure why Apple would want to do something so obviously preditory...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Unless, they secured the Sprint store space IN the flatiron building.

Great space with Great visibility!

Booming neighborhood!

T
  • Reply 12 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AllInOne

Tekserve is a NYC institution. Not sure why Apple would want to do something so obviously preditory...

maybe because Tekserve is a horrible store for purchasing, especially for first time buyers and switchers. tech support, yes, they are amazing. professional purchases...very helpful and well trained. newbies and pc users no.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

maybe because Tekserve is a horrible store for purchasing, especially for first time buyers and switchers.

I used to work with Tekserve and I have to say that in their defense they have helped literally hundreds of first time buyers etc to enjoy the benefits of a Macintosh.

I know far fewer people who have had a horrible time (and they generally are not too shy about making their dissatisfaction known..)

Apple's decision to place a store virtually on Tekserve's doorstep is, at best, stupendously thoughtless but hey no change there then!

No doubt Tekserve's David Lerner was suitably eloquent on the matter
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Tekserve originally started out mainly as a repair depot.. I remember their other location, it was on the third or fourth floor next to the Lighthouse building. It used to look like what you'd imagine your cranky weird uncle with the electronics hobby kept in his attic.

There is another rationale for their store being in the Flatiron building- it is right in the heart of the advertising / publishing center of the city. There are more studios and agencies there than you can shake a stick at. It's also within the reach of the fashion / design area of NYC, just a stone's throw away on 7th avenue. And, there are more rich snobs there per square foot than you can shake a mouse at as well.

What would you have Apple do, buy out a 400 square foot boutique somewhere in the meat packing district?

I'm sure Apple wants to have Sarah Jessica Parker taking her Powerbook to a real Apple store rather than Tekserve anyways.

• Reply 15 of 18
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    I dont get why they keep building stores in cities who already have 2 or 3 stores... while entire states dont even have an apple store. I mean iowa didnt get one until like just this past august.. took them long enough... there was this big thing on the news about how so many people were looking foward to it and when ever i see it it is busy. the point is, if apple builds a store anywhere, people will come to it. Shouldn't they be trying to expand instead of concentrate in certain areas? or do both?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

I dont get why they keep building stores in cities who already have 2 or 3 stores... while entire states dont even have an apple store. I mean iowa didnt get one until like just this past august.. took them long enough... there was this big thing on the news about how so many people were looking foward to it and when ever i see it it is busy. the point is, if apple builds a store anywhere, people will come to it. Shouldn't they be trying to expand instead of concentrate in certain areas? or do both?

I don't know if you are trolling here or not...

You do realize that there are way more people in New York City than in Iowa don't you? The population of the city according to the 2000 census is over 8 million. The entire state of Iowa: 3 million. Each day millions more commute into the city from New Jersey, upstate counties, CT and Long Island.

3 Apple stores is nothing. We have 190 Starbucks!

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/NewYorkCity.htm

:-)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AllInOne

I dunno...preditory? Seems to me it's a little more like when boutiques cluster -- more recognition for an upscale brand all around.

I was in Apple SoHo the other day, and when they didn't have something, they sent me to Tekserve. Seems to me that could be even easier from the Flatiron building.

But if the location is 22/B'way, perhaps they're moving into the old Just Bulbs storefront. We shall see.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

I dunno...preditory? Seems to me it's a little more like when boutiques cluster -- more recognition for an upscale brand all around.

I was in Apple SoHo the other day, and when they didn't have something, they sent me to Tekserve. Seems to me that could be even easier from the Flatiron building.

But if the location is 22/B'way, perhaps they're moving into the old Just Bulbs storefront. We shall see.

Apple likes Major hoopla in their major stores. My best guess is that the space will be in a Landmark building. Much like the glass area in the Flatiron Building.

Just Bulbs space is ok if you want to put a mini store in.

Can you imagine the conversation to Steve.

Real Estate Manager: "Yes Mr Jobs we will be occuping the space formerly housing the Just bulbs store"

Jobs: " oh hold on a second there is someone on the phone....

...Yes Donand oh yea the just bulbes store... Yea he is here.. hold on..

..Donand Trump has something to say to you..."

Trump: In all of NYC you couldn't find Steve Jobs a better location?...

....YOUR FIRED! (TM)"

STEVE J. "WHAT HE SAID NOW GET OUT!"