rondezvous

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, can someoned give me a quick rindown on rondezvous and what i would use it for. Where do i turn it on, etc.

Forgive me for asking, but i just can't seem to find the info online. Even a link would help

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/rendezvous/

Think of Rendezvous as easy network discover.

Plug in a cable..get a list of local network resources without having to set up specific servers. Connect.

No IP numbers to configure, no Servers to setup. This tech is the key to making home networks "plug and play"

The next Rendezvous will work across subnets (segmented networks).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    now to really confuse you.

Rendevous will change names..

To be called Bonjour

If you want my opinion the name is merde!

au revoir!

\
  • Reply 3 of 7
    What hmurchinson said. A good example of Rendezvous* in action is the shared libraries in iTunes - no setup required, they just appear and 'work'.

Another part of the plan is for peripherals like printers to be Rendezvous enabled, with the idea being that you simply plug the printer in and your Mac/PC/etc auto-discovers it and sets everything up for you. You can find some more info here; Rendezvous: Network, simplified.

* As TednDi points out, it will allegedly be renamed 'Bonjour', which sounds a bit silly, but I'm sure we'll all get over it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by J@ffa

* As TednDi points out, it will allegedly be renamed 'Bonjour', which sounds a bit silly, but I'm sure we'll all get over it.

They should change it to "I hate the french," then I wouldn't block that port on my firewall.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hey- thanks all for the info. I know i remember seeing it somewhere, but could you refreash my memory as to where this feature is specifically controlled?

Thanks again!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    You can control it via Airport if you have a card.

Rendezvous enabled printers are out there too.

Otherwise, and the way I use it most, is with iTunes.

There are tons of Macs where I work and if you go to Preferences in iTunes, then click the Sharing tab you can share your library and look for other libraries - an incredible feature!

It's amazing seeing what everyone else listens to and stream the music off their computer.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    iThink it just turns on if you have sharing enabled in your System Preferences, there is no set up, that is why it is auto discover. turn on sharing and rende-jour takes it from there.