iPod partition help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
... to make a long story short ... I had to use TechTool Pro 4 to create an "eDrive" on my iPod so I could start-up from it and fix my poor PowerBook ... The eDrive created a partition on the iPod for the start-up disk, which took up about 3GB.

After fixing my PowerBook, I left the eDrive on my iPod for alittle while ... but then decided to remove it, and TechTool Pro 4 had trouble removing it, and an error occured.

Now, TechTool Pro 4 doesn't see the eDrive, whether it's really there or not, BUT it didn't remove the partition because everything thinks my iPod is still 3GB less than it's true capacity - except for Disk Utility.

The Finder, iTunes, and TechTool Pro 4 all see my iPod as having 3GB less than what it should be because they don't see the partition. Only Disk Utility sees the true capacity, but even that still says there's the same amount of free space on it as the other programs see (about 9GB of free space - when it should be about 12GB).

MicroMat says the only fix is to erase the iPod and start over ... I really really don't want to do that for obviouse reasons.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    well to be honest i really think a full restore on the ipod is your only option. can you just back up any important files on the ipod and add them back in later? all your music is still on your powerbook right?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well to be honest i really think a full restore on the ipod is your only option. can you just back up any important files on the ipod and add them back in later? all your music is still on your powerbook right?

Most of my music files are not on my computer. I manage them manually.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by continuo

Most of my music files are not on my computer. I manage them manually.

well I don't see any other solution either. Have you got a computer with enough space on it anywhere? Because if you have the space it should be quite simple. You'll need to use a hack to get the music from the iPod though. There is software available for that.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

well I don't see any other solution either. Have you got a computer with enough space on it anywhere? Because if you have the space it should be quite simple. You'll need to use a hack to get the music from the iPod though. There is software available for that.

This is so convenient of Apple ...

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I don't think it's Apple, I think it's Apple protecting itself from the music industry. It would be too easy to get an album from a friend etc.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I don't think it's Apple, I think it's Apple protecting itself from the music industry. It would be too easy to get an album from a friend etc.

But when their product develops a problem somehow, there needs to be a better way.

I haven't treated my iPod in any bad way that would make such a problem.

There just has to be a better way, we don't have time to re-import an entire CD library over again ...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

But when their product develops a problem somehow, there needs to be a better way.

I haven't treated my iPod in any bad way that would make such a problem.

There just has to be a better way, we don't have time to re-import an entire CD library over again ...

If you enable hidden files you can get your music using the finder. Download TinkerTool or something similar.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Shouldn't you be blaming Micromat instead? Apple doesn't support hacks like this and it doesn't sound like you use iTunes either so I'm not sure what you want Apple to do about it. I can run Linux on my iPod. That doesn't mean I should expect Apple to help me if something goes wrong with it. I'm sure you will find away to rescue those songs but I would think twice about using a program that messes around with the iPod like this.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Shouldn't you be blaming Micromat instead? Apple doesn't support hacks like this and it doesn't sound like you use iTunes either so I'm not sure what you want Apple to do about it. I can run Linux on my iPod. That doesn't mean I should expect Apple to help me if something goes wrong with it. I'm sure you will find away to rescue those songs but I would think twice about using a program that messes around with the iPod like this.

The reason why I can't put my songs back onto my iPod is because I DO use iTunes.