Rambus formally launched its chip-to-chip interconnect

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,892238,00.asp"; target="_blank">Extreme Tech -HyperTransport Over "Redwood" Possible, Rambus Says.</a>

Maybe this has nothing to do with the 970's bus technology, but two items of interest struck me.

[quote]

...the company disclosed that Sony would be using the technology in next-generation entertainment products, without specifically naming the PlayStation.

<hr></blockquote>

[quote]

the Redwood technology was designed to provide 6.4 Gbits of bandwidth per signal per pair, specifics Rambus hasn't provided before.

<hr></blockquote>

Isn't the next PlayStation Processor from IBM (if this is the PlayStation the tech will be used for) and isn't the 970 front side Bus "designed to provide 6.4 Gbits of bandwidth".

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

No mention on when the technology could be used, or if it is to be used in desktops.

-tink

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: tink ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    RAMBUS isn't exactly the greatest name out there after their memory squabbles but they do have capable Tech. I wonder who will license this Redwood Tech beyond Sony.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Is Rambus still around? I haven't heard anything about them in a long time. (Not that I pay much attention to this sort of thing......)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I think Rambus and Apple would make unlikely partners, but this is nonetheless interesting....

My guess is that Apple will align themselves as closely as possible with IBM's chosen bus technology and chipset plans. This would minimise the time required to integrate future IBM products, such as the POWER5, into future Apple products. Sony have successfully used Rambus in the playstation, and are working with IBM to develop the Playstation 3 "Cell" processor. Could Rambus play with IBM, Sony and Apple?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Personally I thought Rambus was pretty much out of the picture.

However, I see more mid and high end PC workstations using dual-channel RDRAM especially with Xeon processors or the faster Pentium 4 with 533MHz front side bus.

-tink

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: tink ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Cues THT
  • Reply 6 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I always admired the Rambus technology, but the company practices were horrid. Hopefully they have shaped up.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Last i had heard, Rambus had all sorts of lawsuits etc on the go. The volume of lawsuits and the general practice of suing for profit was turning off their main all, Intel, especially when it looked like they might not win the important lawsuits.

At the end of january of this year, Rambus won their most important lawsuit against Infineon. Basically, the court ruled that RAMBUS did not intentionally mislead members of JEDEC when the committee was developing the SDRAM. This would allow Rambus to charge royalties against traditional SDRAM manufactures, driving the prices up and therefore making their oen rambus memory pricing more competitive.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I remember when a windows using friend of mine got his new computer with Rambus RAM...he would not stop talking about how "amazingly fast and unlike any other RAM there is" He just got a new computer again and I believe it uses DDR, and not rambus