Help: Stargate Atlantis: What the HELL is going on??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Umm.. okay I saw my first SG: atlantis episode, i think it is season 1 episode 16, "the brotherhood"....

ummm... what the HELL IS GOING ON?

if someone could fill me in, spoilers allowed up to this episode 16, that would be great.

any budding SG: Atlantis fans out there? this is your BIG chance to convince me to follow this show

thanks peoples...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Where to start?

They are stuck at Atlantis and don't have enough power to run the city let along dial back to earth to get home. They need to find zero point modules (ZPM) to power Atlantis. So the basic story line is that they are hunting around different gate addresses to find them.

The "Wraith" are the main bad guys. Very powerful. Kicked the "ancients" asses. Wraiths feed on people and wake every few hundred years to feed. Ooops the earthlings waked them early. Now the wraith are coming for them at atlantis.

The Genni (sp?) are some people that tried to screw over the earthling but wound up getting screwed by them. Now they are trying to get even.

In one episode Weir was found in a hibernation in the city. She had been there for 10,000 years. She went back in time due to misuse of a time machine shuttle. She worked with an ancient to save the city for the future arrival of the earthlings as well as having some gate addresses that had ZPMs. Fun time paradox type of thing.

What did I forget?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Where to start?

They are stuck at Atlantis and don't have enough power to run the city let along dial back to earth to get home. They need to find zero point modules (ZPM) to power Atlantis. So the basic story line is that they are hunting around different gate addresses to find them.

The "Wraith" are the main bad guys. Very powerful. Kicked the "ancients" asses. Wraiths feed on people and wake every few hundred years to feed. Ooops the earthlings waked them early. Now the wraith are coming for them at atlantis.

The Genni (sp?) are some people that tried to screw over the earthling but wound up getting screwed by them. Now they are trying to get even.

In one episode Weir was found in a hibernation in the city. She had been there for 10,000 years. She went back in time due to misuse of a time machine shuttle. She worked with an ancient to save the city for the future arrival of the earthlings as well as having some gate addresses that had ZPMs. Fun time paradox type of thing.

What did I forget?

hey cool thanks for that... patched a few holes for me

appreciate it

edit1: i like the earthling lady boss @ atlantis. strong like star trek voyager captain but like a billion times less annoying

edit2: i guess we will figure out (or i'll find out if i ever *ahem* find earlier episodes) how the ancients new that the earthlings were coming?

edit3: i wanna shoot Apple product placement's department the earthlings are all using Dell laptops !!! arghghgh grrrrr anyone knows that you don't explore different worlds and galaxies unless your armed with sweet ass PowerBooks GRRRR

****WARNING: EPISODE 16 SPOILER HERE****************

so yeah ep.16 had quite a nice twist at the end, coz the people that worshiped the atlanteans (ancients) got pissed off when they found out that the earth people weren't really the ancients .... bad move when dealing with any culture less 'advanced' than you... they don't like false prophets and impersonating deities and all that
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit2: i guess we will figure out (or i'll find out if i ever *ahem* find earlier episodes) how the ancients new that the earthlings were coming?

Major spoilers for 115 "Before I Sleep" below.....

PJ stands for "Puddle Jumper"

Sheppard goes out to Dr. Weir standing outside, while she asks why he's here and not exploring the city, he presents her with a pot the Athosians made and wishes her Happy Birthday. Sheppard then leaves to go explore.

Sheppard is now exploring the city with his team (minus McKay), with McKay being his usually pestering self on the radio. Ford stumbles upon a room with red dimed lights and alerts the Major, who then tells McKay to shut up and goes in. He then alerts Dr. Weir that she needs to see who they've discovered...

When Weir arrives, everyone debates on whether they should revive her, since the physiology of this presumed Ancient is comparable to a hundred year old human. McKay then explains that the stasis that the woman is in only slows down age to a near standstill, although that crawl DOES take it's toll over 10 THOUSAND years. Weir then takes a risk in ordering the revival of this woman, taking all responsibility.

Now, the woman has been taken out of the stasis cell, she slowly wakes up, opening her eyes, yet barely talking. A note is found in her sleeve with 5 gate adresses, most of which were already visited before. McKay wonders what they're for, but now the woman starts to speak, then falls asleep.

Beckett now contacts Weir and tells her that the woman was slipping in and out of consciousness, but it is urgent that Weir see this woman, she seems to know "things".

The woman is now awake and Dr. Weir greets her, along with McKay there. The woman now says how nice it is to see everyone again, that it's been so long... She then explains that she is Dr. Weir, then after a few more words explaining the beginnings of what happened, she falls asleep.

After a debate with Carson about if any stimulant would work to keep her awake a bit longer each time, Weir convinces him to administer the stimulant in order to talk to the old Dr. Weir. Once Old Weir awake, current Dr. Weir (this will get annoying) arrives with a wheelchair and offers a tour of the city's main control room and gate area. Then they go to the conference room and Old Weir starts explaining what happened "the first time". FLASHBACK: They found the city, with nearly drained power and failing shields. At this time, they start exploring, with all of the controls offline and unresponsive. They then learn that the city is starting to flood, and then Dr. Weir orders Colonel Sumner who is exploring to get back to the gate room. After an eerie sound, Sumner's radio transmits him and his exploration team screaming, only to be crushed by the sea... He dies there. Then, everyone else is stuck between air-tight bulkheads, but they're breached and quickly flooding, everyone outside the gate room and ship room are killed. Now McKay, Weir, Grodin, Zelenka, Beckett, Ford and Sheppard are known to still be alive. It's then that the gate room starts flooding, and McKay starts frantically looking for a way to get the jumper bay doors open. When he sees the water rise, he keeps trying. END FLASHBACK. McKay comments on how he tried helping until death... Overwhelmed with knowing what he would have done had the city not risen from the sea, he ponders it.... FLASHBACK: Sheppard, Weir and Zelenka are in a 6th PJ, which seems to have a device in the center. This device is unlike any other. The room starts to flood, Ford and Beckett drown. Sheppard, who sealed the doors in time, takes the controls, not knowing what he's doing. He hits one control and in a flash the PJ is in space. Only... They're being fired upon! END FLASHBACK. Old Weir faints...

Old Weir wakes up again, in order to continue her story. FLASHBACK: Sheppard tries to find a way to shoot back at whatever is shooting at them, he finds how to shoot once, then they PJ is hit twice before Dr. Weir blanks out. She wakes up beside Janus, who explains that Weir is the only one left alive, and that she's been healed of all wounds. She is then taken before the Ancient Council, where Janus and Weir are shunned from suggesting ANY type of way to control what happens 10 thousand years later. They both leave and later on talk to one of the counil members (Hologram Lady!! Forgot what Janus calls her, but she has a NAME!). She then reluctantly stands by her council-mates and says how she cannot help. It's then that Janus starts working behind the Council's back and creates failsafes. The 3 ZPMs are to be rotated instead of used in parallel, there is a failsafe that makes the city rise in the event the city's shield fails, there is a sensor-connection that wakes up Dr. Weir when her expedition goes through... And then word of the last thing keeping the Ancients in Atlantis arrives... A transport ship with 300 people on it is under attack. Janus tries to suggest boosting the shields with Auxiliary power, but there's no effect. The sensors detect that the ancient ship is overwhelmed by the Wraith and now the Ancients begin evacuation. Janus explains that someone MUST stay behind to rotate the ZPMs, so he instructs Dr. Weir in how to do it. It's then that Weir hides and watches Janus take his entire timeship research with him, hidden in his backpack, to Earth. (Eep! Reference to something familiar!!) Dr. Weir then spends 3.3 thousand years between rotations, only to come back to square one. END FINAL FLASHBACK.

Old Weir then asks Dr. Weir if McKay figued out what the note was... She then explains that the five adresses are outposts where ZPMs are located. Dr. Weir then wakes up McKay and tells him this, who freaks out and starts conversing along with her and Sheppard about it. At this time, Old Weir finally passes away...

Sheppard goes out to meet Dr. Weir, who has just finished scattering what seems to be the remains of her older self. Sheppard says he's going to the briefing, Weir says she'll be there now. She pauses, then asks Sheppard if she could have a minute before going...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PowerPC

Major spoilers for 115 "Before I Sleep" below.....

Major spoiler my ares! That's the entire freak'in episode.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You know after reading that I can't believe that an advanced power system doesn't have some way programming up how they are used. Someone has to physically rotate them?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The extra spares were used when the originals were depleted..
  • Reply 7 of 7
    More episode 16 spoilers below.....

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

****WARNING: EPISODE 16 SPOILER HERE****************

so yeah ep.16 had quite a nice twist at the end, coz the people that worshiped the atlanteans (ancients) got pissed off when they found out that the earth people weren't really the ancients .... bad move when dealing with any culture less 'advanced' than you... they don't like false prophets and impersonating deities and all that

Am I the only one who immediately thought of the Ghostbusters line: If someone asks you if you are a god, you say yes (or something like that).