Post your HILARIOUS email gaffes here!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Oh. Where I live, a 'gaffe' is an error, a blunder, an amusing or embarrassing faux pas.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Do you have any to share or are you just bored?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    This is a recent exchange going through the campus-wide "student announcements" we all receive through email:

The Xbox Hacker:

Quote:

Xbox Modding!

Ever Wanted To Unlock The Power Of Your Xbox?

Things you can do with a modded Xbox:

Backup_your games to your hard drive or DVD-R!____ No more scratched disks!

Copy all your (legal) MP3's and videos to the hard drive!

Turn Your Xbox into a Computer!!!

And much, much more!

I do professional quality Xbox Modding and Upgrades.

I also do_some Xbox Repairs too!

Contact me for more information and prices.

Person #1's Response:

Quote:

Modifying consoles are illegal, and someone just publicly posted that they do this sort of thing._ Basically it violates the DMCA

Person #2's Response:

Quote:

Modifying_an Xbox is not illegal. All it does is make your Xbox's warranty invalid and won't let you on Xbox live unless you put in a switch to turn off the mod chip.

Person #3's Response:

Quote:

Is this academic?_ You people are nerds.

_

It's email abuse. But entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    My wife works at night, so many of her emails are things received here at the house during the day that I want her to read at work. usually she hits reply to me with a comment or acknowledgment.

we had just had are first son (this is important!) she emailed my sister from work asking about xmas arrangements.

my sister emailed her back (not here but to her at work) discussing some things and mentioned what they were getting for their only son. which was substantial.

here we go. my wife hit reply and went into a long harangue about the commercialization of christmas and how my nephew is spoiled yada yada yada....

and sent it back to my sister thinking it was coming to me.

when she got home she asked me something to the effect of "can you believe your sister and what she's doing for your nephew for xmas"?

I replied I had no idea what she was talking about...

to which she said "you know that email......you forwarded".....and with each word leaving her mouth her face became more ashen as it all became clear to her......
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Do you have any to share or are you just bored?

Oops. See Restrospect, Why Must You Suck?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Oops. See Restrospect, Why Must You Suck?

Aaaaaaah
  • Reply 7 of 12
    A friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend of 2 years. He was done with that relationship, despite her clinging on and not wanting it to end. So, he pretty much stopped talking to her, and put her behind him. Later he meets this girl who becomes like the love of his life practically overnight, and the feeling is mutual. They had a profound relationship. So , one day, My friend writes a big long love letter to his new girlfriend and sends it via email.

A few days later, Puncturing their lapse in communication, Old girlfriend emails friend and and asks friend out to get coffee. Friend doesn't really know why, but assumes that she is just trying to be friendly, since they hadn't spoken in so long, maybe they could be friends again. So they go to get coffee, and she asks him what the email was about. My friend sent the love letter to the wrong girl!!

It's straight out of a sitcom I know, but it was pretty hilarious. I felt bad for my friend though, and for his ex, I'm sure that was awkward as hell.

This same friend has actually had similar things happen to him a couple times. Where he'll write a big long emotional letter, but not with the intention of sending it, save it as a draft, only to have it get sent automatically by mail.app
  • Reply 8 of 12
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I have two:

A close relative was emailing me jokes, many of them over a period of time. They were pretty tasteless jokes, some of them quite racist.

One of them got me very upset in its overt racism and I was dissapointed in my relative . . .so, in a steamed unthinking state I emailed him telling him that I was dissapointed and he should be ashamed of himself . . . among other things

Needless to say, I didn't even think that it was a return to a group sent email and everyone he knows got the letter: including people that he works for and with!!

I spend several letters in publicly apologizing for venting before thinking and for doing so in public

the second one is similar: an old oldtime friend wrote an email about another old-time friend in regards to an artwork that she had seen posted on a web site. We both knew the art-work because our mutual old-time friend made the piece way way back when we all three hung out together. The site it was on included an essay that I had written about the piece for a press-release for a gallery showing. The site also had writings by this mutual friend.

I returned my first friends email saying "yeah, imagine that!! and look at that purple prose!!" reffering to my writing, as well as his . . .

Needless to say, my first friend had used the email provided by the site listing the art-work, so my return email went directly to that site . .

It turns out that our mutual friend, the artist, runs that site and so, was the reciepient of my 'purple prose' email.

• Reply 9 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    when i used to have an AOL account i'd get spam all the time. i wouldn't get any real email, but 10-20 spams a day. after years of them growing, and getting bored with them, i decided i'd start emailing the senders with cheery phrases, like "I HATE YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND" or "PLEASE DIE". always caps, so they understand the immediacy. it got to the point where i didn't expect real email anymore. i knew the keyboard combinations well enough that i could open the email, start a reply, type a quick "FUCK YOU", and send it, without really looking at what was sent, nor what i wrote.

so my little cousin emails me and asks for help with her math homework. i was oblivious. i find out a few weeks/months later at christmas, that my expletives were less than helpful with her geometry and arithmentic.

while i'm talking about spam, one or two of the spammers who liked me so much started using my email as the FROM address in their dealings. 'ventually my email became overran, not with spam, but with similar style "I HATE YOU" messages from random people across the world.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

My wife works at night, so many of her emails are things received here at the house during the day that I want her to read at work. usually she hits reply to me with a comment or acknowledgment.

we had just had are first son (this is important!) she emailed my sister from work asking about xmas arrangements.

my sister emailed her back (not here but to her at work) discussing some things and mentioned what they were getting for their only son. which was substantial.

here we go. my wife hit reply and went into a long harangue about the commercialization of christmas and how my nephew is spoiled yada yada yada....

and sent it back to my sister thinking it was coming to me.

when she got home she asked me something to the effect of "can you believe your sister and what she's doing for your nephew for xmas"?

I replied I had no idea what she was talking about...

to which she said "you know that email......you forwarded".....and with each word leaving her mouth her face became more ashen as it all became clear to her......

Ouch! That must have been an interesting Christmas ...

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 11 of 12
    it's always interesting even without all that.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Back at university, I was working in a computer lab, and it got really slow some days. So one day I'm messing around on these internets and I come upon this image of a woman sticking a huge sea bass in her davey jones locker.

A few days before, my roommate had told me that while I had been away on break, he had gotten monstrously wasted in a fraternity basement with some people he didn't know and some funny shit went down. But he didn't remember all of it.

So the guy with a funny name I was working with at the lab left his terminal for a sec, and I used his mail account to send the image of the girl to my roommate, with a note like:

"Hey, I don't know if you remember me but we met over break in the basement yadayada. I just came upon this and it reminded me of you. Cheers!!"

He didn't quite know what to make of it, but it made him cherish the mystery of a blacked-out portion of his life, which, if he knew the truth, in all likelihood would otherwise just shame the stoned bastard.

--B