Will Tiger feel faster?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The problem is that Quartz 2-D Extreme requires better GPUs than Quartz Extreme - it will require either a ATI 9600 Pro or better, or an nVidia 5200 go or better. The 9200 in the Mac mini and the 12" PB won't be able to dump those calculations on the GPU and will use Altivec.

Great. Now my new 12 inch Powerbook can't take advantage of Tiger However, the 12 inch has 5200 Go, so why can't it take advantage?
  • Reply 22 of 71
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The 12" PB will "take advantage" of Tiger just fine. I can't comment on anything specifically, but I'm using a beta version of Tiger on a 700 Mhz G4 iMac and I think things look good for the most part. Some things are fast, some slow, some buggy, some broken, and I can't claim to have really tested all parts of the OS thoroughly. Also, developers and the quality of their applications make a difference here too, not just the OS or the hardware.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Lundy states that the 12" PowerBook has a Radeon 9200, which is incorrect and probably the source of the confusion.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Great. Now my new 12 inch Powerbook can't take advantage of Tiger However, the 12 inch has 5200 Go, so why can't it take advantage?

My mistake - please accept my apologies. Somehow I was reading the post where the poster said he had 2 9200's and I got that mixed up with the PB post.

Yes, they have the 5200go so according to the list Apple put up (and now has removed), they should be able to use Quartz 2-D Extreme.

But no such luck for the Mac mini.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Does anyone know if Safari in Tiger has developed speed? From my personal use, Firefox beats Safari hands down. Has this changed in Tiger? I love the look and feel of Safari and the new features in Tiger seem superb, but I need the speed to catch-up to Firefox.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The 12" PB will "take advantage" of Tiger just fine. I can't comment on anything specifically, but I'm using a beta version of Tiger on a 700 Mhz G4 iMac and I think things look good for the most part. Some things are fast, some slow, some buggy, some broken, and I can't claim to have really tested all parts of the OS thoroughly. Also, developers and the quality of their applications make a difference here too, not just the OS or the hardware.

I agree with BuonRotto. I'm on a 12" iBook and "some things are fast, some slow".

A week ago my 512Mb stick of RAM went bad, so now I'm only running the built-in 256Mb and 8A369 is enjoyable and quite usable.

Spotlight is quite snappyª
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:

Does anyone know if Safari in Tiger has developed speed? From my personal use, Firefox beats Safari hands down. Has this changed in Tiger? I love the look and feel of Safari and the new features in Tiger seem superb, but I need the speed to catch-up to Firefox.

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html indicates significant performance increases in Safari 2.0. I can't vouch for the results, but it seems reasonable to expect Safari to improve in Tiger.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    All of this talk makes me incredibly anxious for Tiger. Please Apple, not much more waiting!
  • Reply 29 of 71
    interesting to see that the mac browsers are comparable in speed to the x86 platform. People keep complaining that browsing on the mac is so slow, but it seems that safari 2 will make it as fast or faster than anything out there. css, multi image, and tables tests are the 3 that really indicate the browser speed for the most part, and safari 2 will kick butt in those areas. (plus it was just a preview that was tested- good chance the final will be faster)

Also tiger will force developers even more to move away from quickdraw, which will mean more speed in old proggies
  • Reply 30 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Perceived browser speed has a lot to do with partial page display while the page is still being downloaded.

Those stats are encouraging... but only part of the picture. Even if safari displays the final downloaded page quickly, it won't seem quick unless the window is updated numerous times prior to the entire page being fully downloaded.

Can anybody report on this specifically?
  • Reply 31 of 71
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

I don't think resizing a Window will be any faster on a Powerbook equipped with 1.5 GB RAM. I think it's more CPU/GPU work for the computer, not RAM.

I just think resizing windows on MacOS is very slow, too slow. Moving Windows on the other hand goes very smooth.

I find both fine
  • Reply 32 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

All of this talk makes me incredibly anxious for Tiger. Please Apple, not much more waiting!

This is the same crap we went through before with Panther and Jaguar. The thing is if Apple doesn't completly (revamp/rewite/do a vodoo dance) on the FInder the speed issue will still be there, I have the latest Tiger seed and I so far don't see much in improvements in that area. Though everthing else is looking mighty nifty
  • Reply 33 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I find both fine

What are you a masochist?
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

What are you a masochist?

Ok people i see your point resizing could be slightly faster. But on my machine it isn't a big problem. There's a bit of a lag but if you use column view (like I do) I very rarely change the size of my windows.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:

Ok people i see your point resizing could be slightly faster

Slightly? MacOS is dog slow with wndow resizing. It needs to be 8-10 times faster I think. I worked a lot with Windows and BeOS, and fast window handling is important; usability goes a long way.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott Finlayson

God... I hate going the sophmoric route, but...

hehehe... You said "Dirty Region"... heheh

Beat me to it.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    As a member of the developer program, and running the current build of Tiger on my 17" powerbook, I can say that it feels substantially faster.

The only caveat to that is Mail.app. Granted, I imported 10k+ messages, but launching seems more pokey than the 10.3 version of mail.

Thanks. Will.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by UEArchitect

As a member of the developer program, and running the current build of Tiger on my 17" powerbook, I can say that it feels substantially faster.

The only caveat to that is Mail.app. Granted, I imported 10k+ messages, but launching seems more pokey than the 10.3 version of mail.

Thanks. Will.

thanks for that. however users like us have 128MB video ram!
  • Reply 39 of 71
    I PERSONALLY TRIED TIGER MY SELF, AND LET ME TELL U THIS THAT OPERATING SYSTEM IS KICK ASS..

I NEVER SEEN ANY OPERATING SYSTEM LIKE THAT... I USED THE PRE RELEASED VERSION.

I CAN'T WAIT TO BUY THE COPY WHEN IT COMES OUT...

IT HAVE MANY FEATURES THAT U NEED TO USE IT , THAT CAN NOT BE DESCRIBED BY WORDS..

SPEED IS GREAT

LOOK IS GREAT

PRICE IS GREAT

SECURITY IS GREAT

FUNCTIONS GREAT
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Seriously, its shaping up to be a terrific release.

Yes, speed is excellent. In normal fashion with other releases, existing hardware will feel faster with 10.4 installed vs. 10.3.

It is what we shall say, Snappy (R)