Mac Mini w/ a plasma display via DVI

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone successfully tried this? I'm considering using a Mac Mini w/ my 42" EDTV plasma. Currently, my PC is being used via VGA, but PQ is OK. I was wondering if DVI might be better.

I was also wondering if the Mac Mini would be a viable DVD (via DVI) player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldskoolboarder

Has anyone successfully tried this? I'm considering using a Mac Mini w/ my 42" EDTV plasma. Currently, my PC is being used via VGA, but PQ is OK. I was wondering if DVI might be better.

I was also wondering if the Mac Mini would be a viable DVD (via DVI) player.

I'm sure using the DVI the video would be good...but I would worry about sound
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

I'm sure using the DVI the video would be good...but I would worry about sound

Good point. I forgot about the optical input to my receiver. W/o that, I'd have no dolby digital. IIRC, there's no optical output from the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldskoolboarder

Good point. I forgot about the optical input to my receiver. W/o that, I'd have no dolby digital. IIRC, there's no optical output from the Mac Mini.

There are Firewire and USB 2.0 devices that solve that. I think Griffin makes one...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    This person has:

http://tenant.com/mini.php
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

This person has:

http://tenant.com/mini.php

Thanks! Unfortunately, I think his display is a full HD, unlike mine which can only do up to 480p.

Regarding using a USB to optical output, I was thinking about that and not sure if that'll work properly. Would that type of adapter allow the receiver to decode a true dolby digital stream? That would require the Mac Mini to output that as well, but I can't see that happening because the Mac Mini doesn't have a native optical output.

I could feasibly use a direct USB connection to my receiver, since it does have one. I have used it on my IBM laptop but the sound quality is very "tinny".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Take a look at this site:

http://centerstageproject.com

There are pages on audio, video, remotes, and most importantly, they are developing software to make on-screen control easy.

(Can you tell I'm thinking about all of this too
  • Reply 7 of 7
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    My Mac Mini is connected to a Hitachi 55PMA550E plasma display with 1366 x 768 resolution and my audio out is a M-Audio Transit. I am more then pleased with this little guy, the sound is fantastic. If you want digital audio out for you Mac Mini this is the only true player out there.

Small enough to fit in your pocket, Transit brings hi-resolution 24-bit/96kHz recording and playback to any USB-compatible computer. Digital I/O lets you transfer pristine audio between your computer and other devices such as MiniDisc and DAT. The digital output can deliver AC-3 and DTS from your computer to an external decoder such as a surround receiver. And the bus-powered design allows you play and record virtually anywhere your laptop can go. Transit is your ticket to ride.

mobile 24-bit/96kHz USB audio upgrade

stereo analog/optical digital input (1/8")

stereo line/headphone output (1/8")

TOSlink optical digital output allows AC-3 and DTS pass-through

accommodates self-powered stereo microphones

includes 3.5mm (male) to TOSlink (female) adapter

includes Maximum Audio Tools software bundle

line/mic in

dynamic range:

100dB (typical, -60dB input, A-weighted)

signal-to-noise ratio:

100dB (typical, A-weighted)

THD+n:

0.00316% (typical)

maximum input voltage:

+6dBV

line out

dynamic range:

104dB (typical, -60dB input, A-weighted)

signal-to-noise ratio:

104dB (typical, A-weighted)

thd+n:

0.00316% (typical)

maximum output voltage:

0dBV

size/weight:

2-1/4? X 3-5/8? X 1?; 0.1 lbs.

* G3/G4 accelerator cards not supported; OS 10.3 required for Dolby Digital and DTS pass-through with Apple DVD Player