iPod 5G Concept...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

There's actually a school of thought in industrial design that says that small handheld items should approximate the size and weight of a bar of soap. For some reason, people like that. Some have postulated that it is because it reminds us of something we use every day, in a very er, close way. Because of that, anything that reminds us unconsciously of that will feel 'comfortable', and we'll feel good about it.

Hmm, soap changes size and shape with usage.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Hmm, soap changes size and shape with usage.

Yeah, but the relative ratio of dimensions stays about the same until it gets quite low.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Yeah, and thin, flat soaps remind us of ripoff hotels. :-)

Still, I like the concept. Right now the thickness is due to the display, mainboard, hard drive and battery all being stacked. If the battery could go below the display, with the circuit board behind the display and the drive behind the battery, you could get less thickness.

Actually, my guess would be that the Mini will become the only iPod out there when the capacities improve. Computer history is replete with "mini" things becoming the new standard size. For example, when 5" floppies came out they were called "mini-floppies" (in comparison with the standard 8" floppies).
  • Reply 24 of 35
    The new iPod Photo II

Enjoy.

• Reply 25 of 35
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    wouldn't it be ipod photo 2G?

correct me if im mistaken.

It looks pretty cool, but I am unsure about the half gray, half white, with another shade of gray for the click wheel and then the color screen. IMO it should just stay all white with the clickwheel at a lighter shade of gray than it is right now.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    after so many years of the iPod, I only just noticed this:

How very annoying that a whole side isnt an screen. Like the first Palms that sacrificed 1/3 of the screen realestate to that stupid handwriting area. Imagine having the whole screen be the scorll wheel as well (graphically drawn on the screen)

Imagine using that Nanotech "paper" that consumes barely any electricity...

Dunno how far they've come with color.. but what would a current iPod with just a screen and a "drawn" clickwhell look like?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Ola Nuno Sousa. Como estas?

I've always enjoyd your works. What program do you use to create them with?

Joao
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Ola Nuno Sousa. Como estas?

I've always enjoyd your works. What program do you use to create them with?

Joao

Ola João ! Tudo bem , obrigado.

All the modelling and rendering is done in SketchUp 4.0

The lettering is added in Photoshop.

Cumprimentos e obrigado.

Nuno
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

after so many years of the iPod, I only just noticed this:

How very annoying that a whole side isnt an screen. Like the first Palms that sacrificed 1/3 of the screen realestate to that stupid handwriting area. Imagine having the whole screen be the scorll wheel as well (graphically drawn on the screen)

Imagine using that Nanotech "paper" that consumes barely any electricity...

Dunno how far they've come with color.. but what would a current iPod with just a screen and a "drawn" clickwhell look like?

Hi :-)

I modelled an iPod just like that before the 3G iPod came out.

You should look for it in these forums.

Nuno

PS: Actually it's for the iPod GPS but this is what you meant, i think...( I lost the other designs with the Music Screen instead of the GPS function ..damn ! )

Link to iPod GPS with full tactile screen
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Ipod Photo complete line.

• Reply 31 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    1) It's very difficult to get more battery capacity when making the device thinner.

2) The thickness of the 1.8" drive and the battery already limit the thickness of the iPod to about where it is now.

3) Airport (802.11) consumes a lot of power.

And thus, the only way for the batteries to last 100% longer is to avoid Airport and get a much denser HD platter, or for batteries to double in capacity. This unfortunately means that the batteries will stay the same size or grow 100% in volume. In about ten years there will be a way to mold a polyimide (plastic) enclosure that itself is a battery, but that's a long time away. Currently, the only Lithium Polymer Matrix batteries are primary only. (that is, not rechargable)
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

1) It's very difficult to get more battery capacity when making the device thinner.

2) The thickness of the 1.8" drive and the battery already limit the thickness of the iPod to about where it is now.

3) Airport (802.11) consumes a lot of power.

And thus, the only way for the batteries to last 100% longer is to avoid Airport and get a much denser HD platter, or for batteries to double in capacity. This unfortunately means that the batteries will stay the same size or grow 100% in volume. In about ten years there will be a way to mold a polyimide (plastic) enclosure that itself is a battery, but that's a long time away. Currently, the only Lithium Polymer Matrix batteries are primary only. (that is, not rechargable)

I know it's all a matter of "physics denying design" in all concepts above.

I have no doubt these concepts are unrealistic in the sense that current tech still hasn't allowed to get there.

But thin, light and battery longevity are not design enemies.

Their shapers not stoppers.

The 1st iPod looks like a brick in comparison with the current design.

This is an attempt to push it forward.

Regards.

Nuno
  • Reply 33 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

The 1st iPod looks like a brick in comparison with the current design.

This is an attempt to push it forward.

You're right, but the 1st gen iPod had a mechanical wheel, a hard disk that required more electricity to support, components that required more electricity to support, and, most of all, it wasn't taken to the design extreme that the new ones are. In the current iPods, the underside of the plastic shell has cavities molded into it where large components are. That is, it's so tight in there that Apple needed to mold a relief of the circuit board into the plastic.

With the current technologies available, the current iPod is taken to the design extreme. I think with an electronic-ink screen, an advanced 1" HD, and a battery built into the enclosure, the iPod could be really, really small. It's just a matter of waiting for those technologies to get worked out.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

You're right, but the 1st gen iPod had a mechanical wheel, a hard disk that required more electricity to support, components that required more electricity to support, and, most of all, it wasn't taken to the design extreme that the new ones are. In the current iPods, the underside of the plastic shell has cavities molded into it where large components are. That is, it's so tight in there that Apple needed to mold a relief of the circuit board into the plastic.

With the current technologies available, the current iPod is taken to the design extreme. I think with an electronic-ink screen, an advanced 1" HD, and a battery built into the enclosure, the iPod could be really, really small. It's just a matter of waiting for those technologies to get worked out.

This just out...

PortalPlayer PP5024 System-in-Package
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I'd rather they kept the width of the iPod where it's at but increase the width of the screen a bit. That way I could actually fit the full titles of my songs/albums without scrolling. The iPod could get a more flat appearance on the front and back along with a silver aluminum border to give it Mac mini design cues.

Apple really pays attention to 2D/3D design "rules" with their products; it's what makes them so pleasing to the eye. I don't think we'll see the screen get wider because it's the same width as the scroll wheel. Making the screen a different size (without adjusting the scroll wheel to match) would mess with the side margins.