Apple phasing out eMacs at retail stores

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple this week has begun phasing our eMacs at its retail store, according to a couple of independent reports. Specifically, the company has begun replacing the eMacs in the children's section with 17-inch iMac G5 computers. No other details are available, but the move does not immediately imply an end to the eMac product line. Instead the changes may simply reflect a shift in strategy at the stores. Insiders believe Apple must continue to produce eMacs for education, as the company offers no other all-in-one solution at the eMac's price point. A revision to the eMac has remained in limbo for the last six months, sources said, and is ready for ramp at the company's discretion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    A revision of the eMac wouldn't be a surprise and I would expect the timing to be targeted to the education market and their spring buying season. The question now is how inventory levels are doing in the supply chain.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    i really hope they update the emacs soon, i want to compare the new model with the mini, because i need a cheap solution for a new computer. i want something new, but i'm gonna be buying a PB for college next year. i just hope they do something soon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Could Apple lower the price of the iMac G5 to the eMac's price point?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mynameismynameis Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Could Apple lower the price of the iMac G5 to the eMac's price point?

Then what would fill the gap where the iMac used to be?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

Then what would fill the gap where the iMac used to be?

How about... nothing? Prices are there to go down, not stay the same forever. iMac G5 20" could be $1,299 and the 17" could be something like $899.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How about... nothing? Prices are there to go down, not stay the same forever. iMac G5 20" could be $1,299 and the 17" could be something like $899.

pretty sure that would not be possible. LCDs have dropped a lot in price, but not that much.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    The eMac's durability is something that the iMac can never approach. The long lasting, abuse-resistant glass CRT screen is a must when dealing kids and pointy objects (like pens and scissors). Plus, the weight of the eMac makes it impossible to tip over and difficult to steal.

Maybe if they could 'ruggedize' the iMac with a clear Lexan front shield and make it harder to tip over.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unicron

The eMac's durability is something that the iMac can never approach. The long lasting, abuse-resistant glass CRT screen is a must when dealing kids and pointy objects (like pens and scissors). Plus, the weight of the eMac makes it impossible to tip over and difficult to steal.

Maybe if they could 'ruggedize' the iMac with a clear Lexan front shield and make it harder to tip over.

LCDs are used in schools everywhere. Kids can do damage to anything. LCDs are cheaper due to using less power and easier on the eyes which has lead many to require them for future purchases.

All computers in schools are locked down and therefore the argument that the eMac is difficult to steal because of it's bulk is weak at best. They even have lockdowns for the mac mini now.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mynameismynameis Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution

LCDs are used in schools everywhere.

All the Apples at my school that I have seen are G4 iMacs. I don't think Apple has any reason to drop the price of the iMac since they are selling pretty well at their current price. However, if they sold G5 iMacs for $899, I would buy one.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Could it be that the mac mini is replacing the eMacs?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

Could it be that the mac mini is replacing the eMacs?

If the next eMac were a g5 then keep it on. If it's another g4, what's the point?

After the warranty expires, an all-in-one with a crt is a big liability...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    i really hope they dont get rid of the big ol' lug computer. i LoVe it. It needs an update really bad though. realy bad.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    rayapplerayapple Posts: 72member
    I' am a teacher at a school with eMac's. The tech's always complain about their reliability. I think they need to do something with this dying line.........
  • Reply 14 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    KILL THE eMac !!!

The iMac 17" can and should be sold for 999. They already do it for edu institutions, and the price differences between that model's components and those in the retail model are negligible at best. Basically, they're both so low, that there's no real benefit in terms of savings --it is done more so to protect sales of higher end models.

That said, CRTs are awfully tired in 2005, and 999 for a 17" LCD system is by no means "cheap"

It's actually just right, and provides some really nice up-sell potential for those unsuspecting customers who wander in looking for a Mini.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    salvagesalvage Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

All the Apples at my school that I have seen are G4 iMacs. I don't think Apple has any reason to drop the price of the iMac since they are selling pretty well at their current price. However, if they sold G5 iMacs for $899, I would buy one.

I agree, except I would be in only if the sold the 20" for $899, I might even buy two or three. It only seems fair.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I agree with those saying to ditch the eMac and drop an iMac to its price point. Seems perfect from here, although Apple may have some problems with margins on that strategy.

If Apple does keep the eMac, I'd like to see a redesign with a true-flat CRT (same size) and a lower price. There's no reason for a CRT-based computer to be much more than $600 today, and Apple could squeeze more into education markets with a competitive price.

Oh, and lose the white color scheme. White is great for slim, tiny designs, but for a cow like the eMac, white only makes it look like a great big whale. Make it look cool, give a black and red color scheme that kids will see and go "oooohhhh, that's bad-aaaaassssssssss!"
  • Reply 17 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Oh, and lose the white color scheme. White is great for slim, tiny designs, but for a cow like the eMac, white only makes it look like a great big whale. Make it look cool, give a black and red color scheme that kids will see and go "oooohhhh, that's bad-aaaaassssssssss!"

Somehow I think you would be hard pressed to get Bono to sign off on a U2 eMac.