New Powerbook Trackpad Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Could they not just make software to download via software update that would give older aluminum powerbooks the two finger scroll feature? Or does it have to be built in the hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Could they not just make software to download via software update that would give older aluminum powerbooks the two finger scroll feature? Or does it have to be built in the hardware?

there is a hack out there somewhere but the hardware on the new PowerBook is different.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Check out iScroll .

I was a little hesitant to install it, but I'm glad I did. The 2-finger linear scrolling is AWESOME. (I can't get used to the circular scrolling though)

I'm running it on a 15" PBG4 1.25MHZ.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Colby2000

Check out iScroll .

I was a little hesitant to install it, but I'm glad I did. The 2-finger linear scrolling is AWESOME. (I can't get used to the circular scrolling though)

I'm running it on a 15" PBG4 1.25MHZ.

circular scrolling doesn't work with the new trackpads anyway!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

circular scrolling doesn't work with the new trackpads anyway!

Actually, it does. If you are on a page that is taller AND wider than the active window, then circular scrolling works. If it is only taler but not wider, circular scrolling would have no purpose.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    Quote:

Originally posted by archrenov8

Actually, it does. If you are on a page that is taller AND wider than the active window, then circular scrolling works. If it is only taler but not wider, circular scrolling would have no purpose.

This is not how circular srolling works (with iScroll2). It's not for panning around a window in 2 dimensions (there's horizontal and vertical linear scrolling for that), but more like the touch wheel on the iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by RazzFazz

This is not how circular srolling works (with iScroll2). It's not for panning around a window in 2 dimensions (there's horizontal and vertical linear scrolling for that), but more like the touch wheel on the iPod.

Gottcha.

I found it is easier sometimes with vertical scrolling to touch it with two fingers, but only move one of them in the direction of the scroll. This way, your whole arm or wrist is not in motion, just one finger.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by archrenov8

it doesn't on mine. I can't check at the mo because i have no access to my Mac for two weeks. :-(