Will Tiger feel faster?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I want Tiger! I would buy the development package for $500, but at this point it seems like a waste of $$$. I just need to wait a little more. I think for the next release, I will join the $500 thing, so I can be part of the creation.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Tiger will feel "smoothier" if that helps you any. It has better video drivers, and makes use of the GPU more often. I think you be pleased. Stuff feels more polished all the time. The current build I've been seeded 8a393 is pretty fantastic stuff. I've done testing on an iBook, G5, g4 desktop, and it the biggest improvement on the iBook. Makes it (1ghz) feel much more usable.

Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Okay cool:-)

With "not exactly", do you mean that my laptop won't benefit, or did you refer to the CPU/GPU stuff?

• Reply 43 of 71
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I want Tiger! I would buy the development package for $500, but at this point it seems like a waste of $$$. I just need to wait a little more. I think for the next release, I will join the $500 thing, so I can be part of the creation.

So I can fork out $500 and get the latest release of Tiger before it is released?? Neat. I am pretty excited about Tiger and am half ready to write my check. I had no idea Apple is that cool.

Eric
  • Reply 44 of 71
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Any idea how a 400Mhz G3 (Pismo Powerbook) will handle Tiger?

Sounds like most of the performance improvements are for G4s and advanced GPUs.

I remember when people had dev versions of Panther, there were a lot of people still running G3s. That doesn't seem to be true any longer.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

So I can fork out $500 and get the latest release of Tiger before it is released?? Neat. I am pretty excited about Tiger and am half ready to write my check. I had no idea Apple is that cool.

Eric

I don't think developers get the full version when it comes out though. You might as well wait for the release as it wont be long away and also Apple don;t privde support for the developer releases.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I don't think developers get the full version when it comes out though.

They do.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They do.

Can you imagine, ?ok guys great work we couldn?t have done it without all your hard work and determination so on the behalf of Apple I would like to say thank you, please help your self to some complimentary cookies. Don't forget to grab your copy of Tiger on the way out. One more thing, we?ve taken the liberty of charging your credit card you gave us when you signed up to the developer team the full purchase price. We?ll see you next year for Hyena?.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They do.

I thought wrong!
  • Reply 49 of 71
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Here's to hoping apple does some serious OpenGL revamping.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    I just hope Tiger works decently with semi- older Powerbooks.

I have a 1Ghz G4 PB, but I got it 2 years ago when they were moving through the big transition where the clock speeds didn't change much, but everything else did...

My PB only has the geforce 4mx in it... grrrr.

And while I've updated the OS to Panther, which helped it emensly over Jaguar, It still lags a bit. especially when I'm really taxing it and go to use Exposé...

I know that it really isn't worth upgrading to a new PB right now, but I may trade my 17", currently used as a desktop replacement/video editing suite, for a 15" when I go to college this fall.

That'd really help too though, cuz let me tell ya, the geforce 4mx doesn't even support half of the lighting features most of today's games use.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    neosenneosen Posts: 8member
    if tiger uses more gpu does that leave us old ibook useres in the rear view?
  • Reply 52 of 71
    The whole Tiger upgrade issue is one I'm confident at drawing the line on, at least in regard to my Mom's 500 MHz iBook. While Panther works on it just fine, I'm concerned that Tiger will only slow it down, which lets face it, is not what Moms want. My mom just wants to push the power button, make it work and do what she needs to do, which is email, word processing, iPhoto, and Safari. Considering that Panther is more than adequate for her needs, and considering that she's by no means a power user, I don't see Tiger in her future unless there are features in Tiger she NEEDS and there isn't a speed hit for her iBook. I seriously doubt that will be the case though.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

The whole Tiger upgrade issue is one I'm confident at drawing the line on, at least in regard to my Mom's 500 MHz iBook. While Panther works on it just fine, I'm concerned that Tiger will only slow it down, which lets face it, is not what Moms want...

I don't find Tiger to more slowler than Panther. In fact it's more optimized. But maybe it need a little more RAM.

The fact that the iBook GPU doesn't handle CoreImage (on an eMac, you cannot launch the Quartz Composer application that demonstrates CoreImage) will prevent you from seeing some of the new special effects of the OS but will not prevent you from using the computer properly.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    i only see value from tiger on speed boost, as I currently have a ibook g3, that would be the only season go for tiger. for gods sack, please dont ignore my expensive mac(it was!!).
  • Reply 55 of 71
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I never really noticed how slow window re-sizing is in Panther. I guess I have low standards.

But I just tried it, and boy is it slow.

But I can't wait for Tiger. I hear everything is sped up and the new functionality looks amazing.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    What types of windows are you guys saying is slow to resize? I have tried different types and do not notice any slowness... It resizes at the speed I adjust the window.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dontconfuse

for gods sack

I am still trying to recover my breath from reading this.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

What types of windows are you guys saying is slow to resize? I have tried different types and do not notice any slowness... It resizes at the speed I adjust the window.

The fastest Mac doesn't resize iTunes without a small lag. Which Mac do you have so I can buy it tomorrow?
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

I am still trying to recover my breath from reading this.

• Reply 60 of 71
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Ok I notice some lag in iTunes but thats why I asked where you notice it...