Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a airport b base station with a computer using a b card and a laptop with a g card (extreme)

Would there be any benefit regarding range or speed to go for a Extreme base station. I would have to set it at b/g to accomodate my b computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    802.11b should have a longer range than 802.11g, but g will have a faster file transfer speed. 802.11b is faster than internet speeds so you will not notice a difference unless you get another g card and transfer files between the two.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

802.11b should have a longer range than 802.11g, but g will have a faster file transfer speed. 802.11b is faster than internet speeds so you will not notice a difference unless you get another g card and transfer files between the two.

uh i thought g was better all around.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

uh i thought g was better all around.

I thought I read somwhere that b had a better range than g, but I can't find it now. All I can find is that they have the same range but g is faster.

But unless you want to share files between computers that both have g, then there is not really any use in getting the g router.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    qchemqchem Posts: 73member
    It's my understanding that wireless networks are only as quick as the slowest member. If you had a g base station connected to both b and g clients the entire network would run at b speeds. Of course if you switched the b client off you'd get g speed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

I have a airport b base station with a computer using a b card and a laptop with a g card (extreme)

Would there be any benefit regarding range or speed to go for a Extreme base station. I would have to set it at b/g to accomodate my b computer.

I have a g base station and two g macs, one b mac and a g PC. The range on b is better. A Dell PC with b will reach my office in the back garden, the g's wont. Although wireless in my PowerBook is not very good signal wise. If you have b/g then the slowest device will be the speed of the network. I think my router will enable faster transfers, however, through two g computers.

If you always use the b comouter thne there would be no advantage, if the b computer is sometimes off then you would notice it (for printing etc.)