TV on 30" display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is the image like on a 30" display when viewing TV through a PCI TV card. Any ideas or has anybody tried this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lociman

What is the image like on a 30" display when viewing TV through a PCI TV card. Any ideas or has anybody tried this?

It looks different, it depends on your card too. On a 30" display, however, you WILL see the pixels unless you're watching HDTV.

Some cards forget to de-interlace the signal (like miglia) and it looks like crap. HD doesn't need interlacing usually.

I use a 2nd video card and output to a TV, usually. Otherwise I use my spare 17" monitor, so the pixels are smaller.

For mac users I'd recommend either some HDTV PCI or something from El Gato.

For the record, I use an EyeTV 200 from El Gato. It de-interlaces and the software is really excellent. I also own a miglia AlchemyTV DVR, which I really don't like. The software for the miglia card is bad, and El Gato's (hardware) tuner is far better.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    how is the latancy on the el gato stuff?

Will I be able to hook up my playstation without much lag?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    locimanlociman Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

It looks different, it depends on your card too. On a 30" display, however, you WILL see the pixels unless you're watching HDTV.

Some cards forget to de-interlace the signal (like miglia) and it looks like crap. HD doesn't need interlacing usually.

I use a 2nd video card and output to a TV, usually. Otherwise I use my spare 17" monitor, so the pixels are smaller.

For mac users I'd recommend either some HDTV PCI or something from El Gato.

For the record, I use an EyeTV 200 from El Gato. It de-interlaces and the software is really excellent. I also own a miglia AlchemyTV DVR, which I really don't like. The software for the miglia card is bad, and El Gato's (hardware) tuner is far better.

• Reply 4 of 7
    locimanlociman Posts: 3member
    Thanks for that. I'm thinking of using the Apple 30" cinema display and the pixel size they quote is about 0.25 which is better than most LCD TVs of that size here. We don't have HD TV broadcasts in the UK yet.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

how is the latancy on the el gato stuff?

Will I be able to hook up my playstation without much lag?

yes there is lag because you're viewing the video off your hard drive (necessary for pausing video, tivo does this too)... if you need to get rid of the lag, elgato's ATi all inwonder usb2 thing is for you
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

snip

Ummm... that card does de-interlace. I have one. Notice how you see an image without gaps between scan lines. Maybe your talking about something else, because thats what deinterlacing is.

The elgato HD eyetv only gets over-the-air stuff. Content encryption is a bitch. So thats pretty much a waste.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirk gently

Ummm... that card does de-interlace. I have one. Notice how you see an image without gaps between scan lines. Maybe your talking about something else, because thats what deinterlacing is.

The elgato HD eyetv only gets over-the-air stuff. Content encryption is a bitch. So thats pretty much a waste.

I was going to show you a screen shot but I lost the video

anyways maybe I have the settings wrong, but I was seeing the scan lines