will pc programs work on my new mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
my old laptop just died and i replaced it w/ a powerbook. What i want to know is what software that i currently have will work on my pb w/o me having to buy a new copy since i am no longer using my current license.

Specifically i want to know about Photoshop and Frontpage 2003. I already went ahead and got office 2004 for students and teachers for mac but no frontpage and i don't like dreamweaver........

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kernel843

my old laptop just died and i replaced it w/ a powerbook. What i want to know is what software that i currently have will work on my pb w/o me having to buy a new copy since i am no longer using my current license.

Specifically i want to know about Photoshop and Frontpage 2003. I already went ahead and got office 2004 for students and teachers for mac but no frontpage and i don't like dreamweaver........

Thanks in advance,

Unless you have virtualPC, no. None. No virii will work either.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kernel843

Thanks in advance,

i would call each respective company and see what they will do for you. it shouldnt be a big deal if you have proper documentation for them to send you the mac versions.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    qchemqchem Posts: 73member
    AFAIK there is no frontpage for mac, and considering its horrible compliance to the web standards that may be a blessing in disguise. I know it's an added expense but you could check out freeway expense (theres a free demo).

I believe that adobe offer no discounts for any of their packages for platform switchers - I'm still saving for new copies of illustrator and photoshop.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    One thing you might want to try for photoshop, i dont know if it will work, but download the photoshop cs trial for mac from adobe.com and then use your serial number from your windows version
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Qchem

AFAIK there is no frontpage for mac,

and it is a damn good thing. MSFP is the worst example of a web page design tool ever, homestly, you are better off just useing notepad, at least then you dont have to design the page 2 times, once in FP and a total redo to make it standards compliant.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    IF you decide to get Virtual PC for your Powerbook, make sure you have at least 512MB of memory. If you already have a Windows install disk, you can just purchase the base (DOS) version of Virtual PC and install Windows onto it just like it was a PC.

Freeway Express is a good alternative for a WYSIWYG web development tool on Mac instead of FrontPage, but if you really want to stick with FrontPage, it will work fine from within Virtual PC.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

IF you decide to get Virtual PC for your Powerbook, make sure you have at least 512MB of memory. If you already have a Windows install disk, you can just purchase the base (DOS) version of Virtual PC and install Windows onto it just like it was a PC.

Freeway Express is a good alternative for a WYSIWYG web development tool on Mac instead of FrontPage, but if you really want to stick with FrontPage, it will work fine from within Virtual PC.

It will work, but slow. My iMac G5 w/ 1 gig ram runs MS FP 2004, but it is slow. AutoCad 2005 LT runs faster than FP.

Also, it will rename long filenames when dragging your web folder from OS X into Virtual PC (Windows Desktop) so watch that. That gave me 3 days of problems before I figured it out.

FP may suck but when you have a big website setup in it, you hate to change. I just use my work PC for website design (work webpage). but my personal webpage is done with Dreamweaver!

Eric