NYU warns students against wearing iPod Earbuds

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New York University has begun a campaign to warn its students against sporting iPod earbud headphones while venturing on and off campus, according to tipsters. The tiny, white earbud headphones, which ship with Apple's iPod digital music players, have become a telltale sign for thieves looking to hijack iPods in the fast-paced streets of Manhattan. This week members of the campus community began plastering NYU dorms with posters warning students not to wear the standard iPod headphones. According tipsters enrolled in the college, there have been an increasing number reports from students who've been held up by city crooks demanding that they hand over their iPod. They suggest it's time Apple begins offering a less recognizable alternative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    if apple offers a "less recognizable alternative"

it'll just become the new "telltale sign"
  • Reply 2 of 40
    ch@osch@os Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 12houripod

if apple offers a "less recognizable alternative"

it'll just become the new "telltale sign"

Exactly what I thought. However, it could even be worse as new earbuds usually would mean brand new (latest revision) iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    pismoxpismox Posts: 7member
    And everyone and their Japanese brother are shipping white earbuds. I actually use white earbuds from Sony everyday with my iPod shuffle. Sony is in fact shipping, almost identical to Apple's, white earbuds with its new Portable PlayStation (PSP) this month is the USA.

Don't blame Apple, these people choose to live and work in one of the major cities in the world, they will be robberies and thefts, with or without Apple's white earbuds.

I was born in Northern NJ and spent time in NYC. I however chose to live in Orlando, FL where only tourists are stolen from. (Just kidding!)

p.s.

Maybe they should be posting tips how best to conceal an iPod, and how best not to attract attention to oneself in public, like clothing, jewelry, money exposure, loudness of music, etc (not by commenting on choice of earbuds or headphones).
  • Reply 4 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    if these students really need to be TOLD not to show expensive valuables on the streets of New York... then I'm very glad someone is telling them!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    zingboyzingboy Posts: 5member
    "have become a telltale sign for thieves looking to hijack iPods in the fast-paced streets of Manhattan"

1.) Lower Manhattan's streets are not as fast-paced (nor crime-ridden) as many think,

2.) EVERY NYU student has one and flaunts them while drunk (very wealthy private school),

3.) J&R probably started this rumor to get a boost in business.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zingboy

"have become a telltale sign for thieves looking to hijack iPods in the fast-paced streets of Manhattan"

1.) Lower Manhattan's streets are not as fast-paced (nor crime-ridden) as many think,

2.) EVERY NYU student has one and flaunts them while drunk (very wealthy private school),

3.) J&R probably started this rumor to get a boost in business.

I have never seen a drunk student flaunt an iPod before, but maybe it's just because I am on the upper west side....
  • Reply 7 of 40
    you know if everyone had an ipod we wouldn't have this problem....

seriously speaking, I see an average of 10-15 people with ipods on my way to school, work and home on the train. I'm sure if an ipod owner was being held up, fellow ipod owner(s) would jump to the rescue.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    I just moved to NYC last year and for awhile I've wondered when some punk will work me over for my iPod. There may be much less crime than a decade ago, but make no mistake, this city is loaded with thieves and losers who live off others and it happens every day.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2112

I just moved to NYC last year and for awhile I've wondered when some punk will work me over for my iPod. There may be much less crime than a decade ago, but make no mistake, this city is loaded with thieves and losers who live off others and it happens every day.

When my neice wanted to go to Columbia, I looked up the crime statistics. Turns out that my area (Chapel Hill/Durham) has way more crime than NYC. I'll admit that I was scared riding the subway late at night (or walking on 125th street at night), but it was probably all in my mind I guess.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I couldn't agree more.

As a college student in the city, I can share NYU's sentiments. I ditched the iPod headphones long ago (partly due to their crappy sound) so that people wouldn't know I had an iPod just from seeing me on the street.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    zingboyzingboy Posts: 5member
    http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40604.htm

It seems to be more about high schools than colleges in the Post, and

http://www.engadget.com/entry/0264939848437927/

it had been claimed to be a hoax previously.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    A better reason to warn them would be because of the intense suckage of the standard ear phones.

Not only do they sound crappy, but they hurt like hell after an hour or so.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    shouldn't they be warning them of WIndows XP and how much it sucks?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    cpaccpac Posts: 21member
    The only way to get mugged these days in manhattan is to get lost, late at night, in a place where nobody is around. And if you happen to be in that sort of situation, I doubt the muggers will care whether you've got an iPod or not - you're the ONLY ONE THERE. The rest of the time there's far too many people *everywhere* for anybody to get mugged.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

if these students really need to be TOLD not to show expensive valuables on the streets of New York... then I'm very glad someone is telling them!

Haven't been to New York, but in principle you are right, just a matter of having a degree of street smarts.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

When my neice wanted to go to Columbia, I looked up the crime statistics. Turns out that my area (Chapel Hill/Durham) has way more crime than NYC. I'll admit that I was scared riding the subway late at night (or walking on 125th street at night), but it was probably all in my mind I guess.

not really. riding the subway after midnight and walking around above 95th street are not things i would recommend to anybody. while i only knew one person who ever got mugged in the 3.5 years i lived there, you were always trying to stay aware of your surroundings (to the point of near paranoia). the area around nyu isn't so bad though. i used to live a couple blocks from there. but the area around columbia, that's a different matter altogether.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

shouldn't they be warning them of WIndows XP and how much it sucks?

NYC is pretty intense though. But yeah maybe they could have made a poster with

DONT WEAR WHITE iPOD EARBUDS

ALSO, DONT USE WINDOWS XP IT SUCKS ASS

OH, AND PRACTICE SAFE SEX

see? i saved NYU thousands of dollars on their marketing/student services/ whatever budget
  • Reply 18 of 40
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    So what´s the problem if someone tries to steal something from you? Teach him the lesson that all he gets from you is a world of pain. That´s what I did, worked like a charm.

I don´t know about NYC though, never been there. But if you care about your security, learn to defend yourself.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

So what´s the problem if someone tries to steal something from you? Teach him the lesson that all he gets from you is a world of pain. That´s what I did, worked like a charm.

I don´t know about NYC though, never been there. But if you care about your security, learn to defend yourself.

You can go to jail if you try that. A friend of a friend was a marine, and he pistol whipped a robber in a macdonalds bathroom, and he was charged with assault (I don't know if he went to jail or not).
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

not really. riding the subway after midnight and walking around above 95th street are not things i would recommend to anybody. while i only knew one person who ever got mugged in the 3.5 years i lived there, you were always trying to stay aware of your surroundings (to the point of near paranoia). the area around nyu isn't so bad though. i used to live a couple blocks from there. but the area around columbia, that's a different matter altogether.

Bingo!!

NYC is a relatively safe city. Relative to London..

Crime exists here and the ipod is a product that many can't afford and still want. Badly enough to bop you over the head to get.

Evolution provided ears by which we hear danger approaching. Music can distract you from what is around you. That is mostly a good thing. Unless that danger wants your music.

Oh, and in a large school such as NYU there are bound to be many very sheltered kids who have never had to deal with a city environment. The area is mostly safe as it has gentrified to a great degree. However, it is still NYC and a short ride or walk from many crappy areas.

Gives a whole new meaning to

DON'T STEAL MUSIC!

Now, Let's be safe out there!