G4 - multiscan monitor 20 - OSX - no display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Hoping someone can help...

I have a G4 running OSX and have been given an old multiscan monitor. I've bought a VGA adaptor and can get a display when running the G4 in Classic. However, when I boot up in OSX I get nothing on the monitor (the little green light goes orange).

Am i overlooking something simple? I should be able to use this monitor with OSX, right?

Thanks in anticipation,

Susie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Is it the "Apple Mulitple Scan 20" display?

If so, yes, you should be able to use OS X. My friend is running this exact same setup.

The only thing I can think of, is that some of the older adapters had a series of DIP switches on their bodies which basically fixed the scan rate/resolution etc ? thereby over ruling the Multiple Scan nature of the display.

What you want is an adapter that simply has the appropriate plug at either end, and no DIP switches on its body.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Sounds like OSX has a resolution conflict.

reboot and hold down the shift key during OS X startup.

While this turns off extensions on OS 9 it also seems to reset resolution on OS X.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the replies guys but unfortunately still can't get it working.

Yes it is the "Apple Mulitple Scan 20" display.

The adapter I bought is a "HDD DB15M to DB15F Mac Monitor Adaptor" (from Videkonline.co.uk) with no DIP switches - so i guess it should be ok.

Tried rebooting holding down shift ... but alas still no joy. A guy at work also suggested rebooting holding Apple+Alt+A+V but that made no difference either.

Any other suggestions? Or is it time to sit in the corner and sob?

Ta,

Sus
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Have you tried setting the resolution in os 9 to 640x480 @60Hz and then booting os X? HAve you tried booting OS X from the install cd and then jsut exiting and restarting.

Dobby.