Diet Coke

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Has anyone else in here seen these websites that say aspartame in diet coke is poison... like this one

aspartame toxicity center

I stumbled on to it yesterday and Ive been trying to find out if these sites are bunk or the sites that refute these sites i.e. fda, coca cola are bunk.

It seems there is a clear lack of *real* proof, to sort of quote one article that I read, 100% of nutrasweet/industry funded studies show that aspartame is not poison but 90% of independant studies show that it is bad for you... who do you believe ?

Anybody got any knowledge or even anecdotal type knowledge of this ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rara Posts: 623member
    They've done studies in mice/rats where they gave them aspartame and they developed cancer. The studies were labeled junk though, because the equivalent human dosages of what they gave them would be astronomical.

Still, there is a lot of evidence against it out there. Have you seen this thread? From Aspartame to War, A look at Donald Rumsfeld

Also consider this: my mom drank 3+ Diet Pepsis per day. She died of a brain tumor in her late 40s.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I cannot drink aspartame containing beverages as doing so results in an instantaneous headache. It does break down to methanol which has known side effects, but mouse and rat studies are not that great for metabolism associated carcinogenic effects as they are know to have enzymes that have functions that we lack (that is, enzymes that make potent carcinogens out of consumed material)...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Check out this page for a summary of food additives: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Check out this page for a summary of food additives: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks Im officially paranoid now.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Aspartame has a number of strange side effects:

1) It has the same effect as MSG, or for that matter sugar, in that it alters blood-sugar levels. That is, after you drink a diet coke, you'll want another one fairly soon afterwards.

2) A small percentage of the aspartame you intake breaks down into formaldehyde. This is the amount that for whatever reason gets "stuck" in your brain, and it is chiefly why aspartame is a bad idea.

Personally, I've found that I am allergic to the stuff as well, but I don't get headaches. If I drink more than one diet soda in a day, I tend to have painful urination.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Apparently, Diet Coke cans are also excellent for drinking Jesus Juice
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Thanks everyone, Ive decided to lay off the diet coke for a couple of months, well two to be exact, and see how it goes. If I have less headaches, fatigue etc then I'll swear off it otherwise I might go back...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Aspartame is a phenylalanine (amino acid) derviative. Some people cannot metabolize phenylalanine (phenylketonuriacs). Aspartame and it's nonmetabolistic degradation products can build up and cause some pretty severe problems. [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?call=bv.View..ShowSection&rid=gnd.section. 234]NIH link[/a]

MSG (monosodium glutamate, also an amino acid derivative) acts in a similar manner. ( I believe )

However, chances are that if you haven't had any problems drinking diet coke, you aren't suffering from phenylketonuria. (Or you'd be dead).

Caffeine can give you headaches, however, esp. if you are used to drinking it, and then suddenly stop. (It's a vasodilator, and stopping suddenly causes vasoconstriction -> headache).

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Aspartame actually will effect people who aren't phenylketoneuriacs -- the methyl ester degrades to methanol (and thus to formaldehyde) during metabolism.

MSG acts like a neurotransmitter, and thus its metabolism isn't required for adverse effects.

• Reply 10 of 11
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    A good friend of mine was admitted to hospital a few years back suffering from multiple symptoms...the doctors were baffled until she mentioned that she drank at least 6 cans of Diet Dr. Pepper per day. As soon as she quit, she started recovering, and was out of hospital within a few days, but she now suffers panic attacks and and dizzy spells.

The human body hasn't evolved to handle large and regular ingestions of such materials like this without, so I tend to avoid if I can. Aspartame is also known under various trade names like nutrasweet, equal, spoonful, candera etc.

Some anti-aspartame propaganda at:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~eye/pro...aspartame.html
  • Reply 11 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i read some of those aspartame = bad theories a few years ago. i made a test - simply seeing how i felt after a diet coke. result: heardache, mostly mild (if one coke) but still, not desirable. and more easier muscle pain for the next 24 hours (fms).