Apple store changes ibook availability

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just noticed some apple stores changed availability of ibooks to 1-3 days (12" model) and the australian shop also for the 14" models. I remembere that it used to be within 24 hrs

Just a dent in the supply or more?

A$ 1,599.00

Estimated Build Time: 2-4 days

Free Shipping

(...)

A$ 2,049.00

Estimated Build Time: 1-2 days

Free Shipping

(...)

A$ 2,399.00

Estimated Build Time: 1-2 days

Free Shipping

(...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Wait! New iBooks Tuesday!! Oh geez...here we go folks!

I am one who believes that if we see an iBook revision before WWDC, it greatly diminishes the likelihood of a PowerBook G5 there. Instead, it would greatly enhance the chances of seeing a major rev to the Power Mac line being shown off.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    It's the weekend
  • Reply 3 of 13
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    A slight bump in delivery times does not mean new model out tomorow, I think it is pretty unlikely that we will see an iBook update at the time being - it is already pretty close to the PowerBok in spec, is well priced, and selling well. I will of course eat my hat if an iBook comes out next week, but in my humble opinion, I don't think it'll happen.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I disagree, if you look at the MR Buyer's Guide, iBook updates have been within a month or so of PowerBook updates for nearly all of the product's life. That said, the only updates I expect are a minor speed bump (to 1.33 and 1.5GHz) and Bluetooth 2.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Also at my University in Canada, some models of the ibook and imac are on sale. I have never seen a straight sale of mac hardware here before.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    The 12" iBook at the UK store ships in 3 days now...used to be 24hrs. 14" unchanged at 24hrs.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Given what happened with the iMac G5 recently, I'm not going to predict an imminent update. My guess is that there will be an update in April, as we'd expect. March would only be chosen if Apple wanted to realign announcements to catch student purchasers in September (which would be 6 months later) - or maybe do a more significant revision around that time.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    The 12" ibook model is the only one that is on sale here ($100 CDN off the education price). While the 17" iMac with superdrive is $150 off.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    This would be good, as I'm currently in the market to sell my Rev A 12" Powerbook and get a modern iBook. I just hope the new 12" iBook can get a BTO Superdrive, or I'll have to step up to the 14"...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Given what happened with the iMac G5 recently...

Indeed, what happened? I think I missed it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Indeed, what happened? I think I missed it.

The shipping time went up from same day to 3-5 or 5-7, spurring rumours of an immenient update. No update occurred, and the shipping time has gone down to either same day or 1-3 days.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

The shipping time went up from same day to 3-5 or 5-7, spurring rumours of an immenient update. No update occurred, and the shipping time has gone down to either same day or 1-3 days.

Ah, I see. I would not say that this is something that "happened" to the iMac. In many cases there have been fluctuations in shipping times with the other lines too, related to availability of some component(s) of the concerned machines.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    The new 12" PowerBook uses the same LCD as the 12" iBook to allow the recent price cut on PBooks. Maybe they are just having a minor problem with LCD supplies due to the PB being a luke warm seller again.

Maybe it's nothing :0)