Apple confirms 'Asteroid' project with GarageBand distribution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiral

That's what i assumed. I would like to see the image. It doesn't show up in the forum. Nice sleuthing.

Here is the image vocaro posted (it was a tiff so i just changed it to a gif). That is hilarious! That's a pretty sweet joke.

well, obviously an allusion to the Asteroid arcade game, or one of many re-creations such as this Java one...

http://www.ducttapefashion.com/games.../asteroid.html

good times

remember, what we have here does not prove that

1. asteroid is/is not gonna be released

2. the image is a joke to trick forum sites or an in-house joke

3. image is/is not a placeholder

4. image does/does not have any purpose in final draft

great decoding work...! try the java game...! yeahhh take that you stupid hunk of rock..!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

try the java game...! yeahhh take that you stupid hunk of rock..!

Java is cool.

This is cooler.

--B
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Java is cool.

This is cooler.

--B

but can you play 2-player PONG with that..?? if i recall correctly there was 2-player PONG back in the day....
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Has anyone considered the possibility that the whole Asteroid thing was just a device to smoke out employees who were leaking product info? I mean it's plausible enough that Apple would make such a device, but at the same time, I was legitimately suprised when I first heard the rumour.

Perhaps it was set up in such a way that the information would be leaked, and the person responsible subsequently identified, without Apple actually reqlinquishing any secrets because the actual product was never going to make it to the market?

The truth is out there - only BinHexed...

-Rob
  • Reply 25 of 33
    There are a bunch of developers at Apple who are reading this story and laughing their asses off right now.

If there's any weed involved they might end up hurting themselves laughing.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheOtherRob

Has anyone considered the possibility that the whole Asteroid thing was just a device to smoke out employees who were leaking product info? I mean it's plausible enough that Apple would make such a device, but at the same time, I was legitimately suprised when I first heard the rumour.

Perhaps it was set up in such a way that the information would be leaked, and the person responsible subsequently identified, without Apple actually reqlinquishing any secrets because the actual product was never going to make it to the market?

The truth is out there - only BinHexed...

-Rob

For the Conspiracy Buffs out there.....

March 1, 2005 - 17:23 EST__ Tim Bucher, who headed Apple's Macintosh Hardware Engineering until last fall, has filed suit against the company, alleging that Apple terminated him without cause and failed to pay all due compensation, reports CNET News.com. "As a result of the actions of defendant Apple, the plaintiff has suffered damages including the loss of income and emotional distress," according to Bucher's lawsuit. Bucher is seeking to recoup lost compensation, punitive damages and other penalties. Bucher was hired by Apple in March 2003 and was promoted to senior vice president of Macintosh Hardware Engineering last May, replacing Jon Rubinstein, who was named head of the company's iPod division.

• Reply 27 of 33
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog

There are a bunch of developers at Apple who are reading this story and laughing their asses off right now.

If there's any weed involved they might end up hurting themselves laughing.

I don't understand why so many people are poo-pooing this.

I find Appleinsider's explanation much more logical and WAY more likely than the crack-pot conspiracy theories people are dreaming up.

I say we see it sometime this year or possibly it's just been canceled.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I don't think anything in this thread qualifies as a 'crack-pot' conspiracy just yet...

Sure, AI have offered a logical explanation, but it's an explanation based around a single .tiff file that may or may not have been related to the rumoured 'Asteroid' project. Granted, their explanation follows a degree of logic, and I won't be surprised if and when we see the product come to market, but I would hesitate to suggest that the .tiff qualifies as evidence.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Apple should buy Amadeus, rewrite it in Cocoa, and package it with OS X for free similarly to iTunes.

Really, if Apple can do Garageband, why not a basic audio editor for us musicians who play REAL instruments?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Apple should buy Amadeus, rewrite it in Cocoa, and package it with OS X for free similarly to iTunes.

Really, if Apple can do Garageband, why not a basic audio editor for us musicians who play REAL instruments?

HEY! my MIDI keyboard is a REAL instrument

and i've got ABRSM Grade 6 in Pianoforte, Grade 8 in Theory....

not quite a musician though just had to learn all that classical piano tripe 'coz my parents *ahem* forced me to...

edit1: ah whatever...

edit2: have you tried using Ableton Live 4? very nice mix of sequencing, live audio editing, envelopes, filters, AU and VST plug-in support, great tempo control (for the 'REAL' musicians that don't just make 140bpm four-on-the-floor) music
  • Reply 31 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

HEY! my MIDI keyboard is a REAL instrument

and i've got ABRSM Grade 6 in Pianoforte, Grade 8 in Theory....

not quite a musician though just had to learn all that classical piano tripe 'coz my parents *ahem* forced me to...

edit1: ah whatever...

edit2: have you tried using Ableton Live 4? very nice mix of sequencing, live audio editing, envelopes, filters, AU and VST plug-in support, great tempo control (for the 'REAL' musicians that don't just make 140bpm four-on-the-floor) music

Why not use logic lite, or whatever it is, or Logic itself?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Why not use logic lite, or whatever it is, or Logic itself?

Ableton Live 4 is really quick to set up and use, throwing in Midi, ReWire to Reason, throwing in Samples, VST and AU... I like it as a quick composition/performance tool

I may have lost too much brain cells partying in the past several years to achieve my artistic 'edge' but I tried Logic Pro 6 and it was way way way way way too complicated for me.... I had no idea where to begin and how to hook this and that up to this and that to even get a sound happening

Definitely Logic Express and Logic Pro has their place, but definitely check out Ableton Live 4 too...
  • Reply 33 of 33
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Oh yeah, I just started using Ableton Live a few months ago and LOVE it! It's a bit overkill for my needs, but I like the GUI and sometimes I need a bit more than Amadeus, although not often.

I don't really do much with audio, basically I just record myself on guitar while singing (hoping my singing doesn't break my Powermac) and keep a library of songs I'm working on. I don't even use double tracks. I use sound filters to clean up the recording, but if I can't play something live, i don't use it.

I know with GarageBand there is a larger market for an app that let's anyone play around with samples and drum tracks, that's mainly what I was getting at. I'd never denigrate MIDI or anything, it's just annoying when I hear songs on the radio in which the only hooks are samples from other artists - usually semi-obscure bits and pieces from older artists that today's youth cannot recognize. I just heard a rap song today that was a cover of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive, but the name of the song was different. WTF?

Well I guess it's payback for all the white boy rockers who got famous by covering blues songs of the Mississippi Delta. How poetic is it that a black artist makes money by ripping off a song from Pink Floyd?