TV on a Mac In General

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I want to be able to watch live TV on my 17 inch powerbook. Im wondering what I need... I've looked at the ElGato stuff but I dont know if thats what I need... I want to be able to use my cable TV and watch that on the computer / record. I think El Gato will do it but which model, as I dont understand the descriptions on the website.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    I have been looking into the EyeTV as well. I was wondering if anyone has tried the EyeTV wonder USB 2.0. It looks like it is much better than the 200, but why would anyone still want the 200 now?

Here is the link to the web site:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...countrytogo=33
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Go to the website above and click the "product matrix" button in the right collum. That will open a new window and let you filter out all the non-cable devices. (First select "video sources" from the second menu, then select your cable type from the third menu.) It will leave you with the one(s) you want.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Will EyeTv 200 just let me watch cable TV live on my computer without having to record?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Is there a cheaper solution? I might as well buy a TV for those prices.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

Is there a cheaper solution? I might as well buy a TV for those prices.

The Wonder USB 2.0 from eyeTV is $150 US. that is pretty good price for a dvr. The only question I have is that is there a benefit of having the hardware encoder of the EyeTV 200?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Firewire.

The 200 is slightly "higher end" and such if you need to do some heavier recording, etc.

If you're not a power user, the USB2 version is fine.

If you want satellite and such, check out http://www.defyne.org/dvb/

Opensource drivers for a LOT of various PCI and USB stuff.

Also, www.miglia.com makes a lot of TV stuff, bothe USB and PCI and such. Very very cool products and fantaical support.

DO NOT buy stuff from Eskape Labs (Hauppauge sub-unit). Their software drivers are just suckness.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I just wanna know if I can watch live tv and not even record with it, though i would record sometimes.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    EyeTV products allow you to watch without recording if you want. It can either use a hard drive to buffer the video, or your free computer RAM.