Compatibility of old PCI, SCSI stuff with a PowerMac G5?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, so the slightly longer version of the story is that I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Mac Mini or a PowerMac G5. I know the answer is, duh, buy the G5, but I really don't want to spend the extra $$$ unless it would be usable with some of the exiting hardware I already have.

So for example, I have a few PCI cards like a WinTV PCI, an Adaptec SCSI (probably a) 2940 Ultra Wide adapter, etc., and a few SCSI devices, in particular a scanner UMax Astra 610s, etc. What is the likelyhood of any of this stuff being usable with the PowerMac G5? From the searching I've done, I'm guessing no, but I'd like external input first.

If there are any web pages that provide help with this kind of compatibility info, links would be appreciated. Thanks for any help getting me off my last Windows machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Is there a better website for me to post this kind of question?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I have a reallllllyyyyy vague memory that OS X does not support SCSI and if you want to use the scsi scanner then you'd have to buy a scsi/fw adapter
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwondo

I have a reallllllyyyyy vague memory that OS X does not support SCSI and if you want to use the scsi scanner then you'd have to buy a scsi/fw adapter

Well, I'm pretty sure OS X supports SCSI. The big issue for me is drivers and/or if the cards will work on the PowerMac G5's 3.3 volt only PCI bus. I'm pretty sure there are OS X drivers that will work with my WinTV PCI card, but it's not clear to me if the card will work on the G5's bus. I've seen mixed comments on the Adaptec 2940UW cards. Everything from they're not supported, to some people reporting using them under OS X on some older (G3 maybe) PowerMacs. Once again, does this card work on the PowerMac's 3.3 volt bus?

This page seems to list some SCSI cards that work with the G5 PowerMac:

http://www.macintouch.com/g5reader08.html

I found this software that says it'll work with my scanner:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...s/vuescan.html

But if I had to buy a new SCSI card, plus pay $50 for this software, I may as well save my $$$ and get a Mac Mini and buy a new scanner that is supported.

Anyhow, I'm getting the impression from searching around that these cards won't work, even though I don't have a definitive answer. It is too bad. The idea that you should have to buy a bunch of new peripherals every time you get a new computer is a bit ridiculous.