HP LightScribe Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have recently seen the HP ads that promote their LightScribe technology. I guess the drive's laser reacts with the media chemically to "burn" a label to the disc.

This seems like a pretty good idea as opposed to using Sharpies and the like to label discs. My question to the board is, have any of you used/seen this in action and is it worth a shit? My next question would be, shouldn't Apple be at the forefront of something like this and do you see them implementing some variant of this in future lines?

Lastly, what are some good external devices and/or software that could perform this function for Mac users, especially those of us using HP all-in-one printers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2112

I have recently seen the HP ads that promote their LightScribe technology. I guess the drive's laser reacts with the media chemically to "burn" a label to the disc.

This seems like a pretty good idea as opposed to using Sharpies and the like to label discs. My question to the board is, have any of you used/seen this in action and is it worth a shit? My next question would be, shouldn't Apple be at the forefront of something like this and do you see them implementing some variant of this in future lines?

Lastly, what are some good external devices and/or software that could perform this function for Mac users, especially those of us using HP all-in-one printers?

It's a neat technology. HP didn't invent it though. It requires a special type of CD-R which is around $1 each (last I checked). I am not sure if the technology will ever move past "that's neat" phase.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Lightscribe is horrendously slow. I'll be excited when it can burn a best quality in under 5 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    fantastic title...

• Reply 4 of 16
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

fantastic title...

So I got two decent responses and appear to have annoyed the French in the process. Pretty good Sunday I am having today.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

So I got two decent responses and appear to have annoyed the French in the process. Pretty good Sunday I am having today.

What makes you think you have annoyed "The French" instead of just ZO? He doesn't represent the whole of France, you know.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

#9 (posting guidelines)

Quote:

Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums. Furthermore, threads with no original content will not be allowed. Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

It could have been titled better, and I'm American.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Took care of it.

Also, moving to GD.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What makes you think you have annoyed "The French" instead of just ZO? He doesn't represent the whole of France, you know.

Hmmmm, excuse me, a Frenchman.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

#9 (posting guidelines)

It could have been titled better, and I'm American.
    [/

QUOTE]

I completely agree, I should have been more descriptive.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I'm not French. I just live here. I'm actually "from" NYC like you.

Where'dya think the frikken attitude comes from buddy.

• Reply 11 of 16
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ZO

[B]I'm not French. I just live here. I'm actually "from" NYC like you.

Where'dya think the frikken attitude comes from buddy.

No worries, all in good fun anyway. I love a good Bordeaux as much as the next guy.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 2112

[B]
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I love a good Bordeaux as much as the next guy.

• Reply 13 of 16
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    it's pretty lame.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    $1 per disc

3.5 Minutes to burn a disc

27 Minutes to Label the Disk

31 minutes @ $1

vs.

$0.10 per disc

5 Seconds to write label on disc

3 minutes 5 seconds @ 10 cents

Option 3

If you need professional "real" labels you can easily buy 500 pressed discs with labels for $1.50 + $200 (1 time plate fee)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

$1 per disc

27 Minutes to Label the Disk

31 minutes @ $1

vs.

$0.10 per disc

5 Seconds to write label on disc

3 minutes 5 seconds @ 10 cents

Option 3

If you need professional "real" labels you can easily buy 500 pressed discs with labels for $1.50 + $200 (1 time plate fee)

like i said it sucks.

who..who is waiting 30 minutes for a CD-R?

in 2005?

HP...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    How complicated is the design for it to take 30 mins?